ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

It should appear as a new app from the Repo used for ADT Tools smartapp when you do an update.

Further details are at

ADT Tools thread

or

ADT Tools at “Things that are Smart”

Thank you for replying so quickly Mavrrick58 ! One more question, are the smoke alarms “interconnected” meaning if one goes off they all go off? Is there a setting to do this? Thanks!

Unfortunately I can’t speak for the ADT smoke Alarms as I dont have either smoke or monoxide sensors. I would be extreamly suprised if they were not linked together since they are all talking to the same head unit I would expect them to work together.

The ADT tools child app for smoke alarms can link as many alarm devices as you have together so from that perspective it can at least help with non ADT siren devices. It was actually the initial purpose for those alerts action child apps.

For what its worth here is the state of play in the UK. To add a tiny bit of fairness it could be that ADT UK may use different brand names for similar stuff.

ADT Pulse - not available
ADT Canopy - not available
ADT/Smartthings - not available
(Smartthings Hub v2 - available)

Typical ADT UK offering - traditional dumb alarm system, so dumb it has not yet learnt how to bang rocks together let alone make a fire.

The ‘best’ ADT offering I have found is - https://www1.adt.co.uk/home-security-packages/smart-home

I think this is some new definition of smart I have not come across before :frowning:

I have been looking for a decent smart home / alarm system for nearly two years now. :disappointed_relieved: There is some very faint glimmerings of improvement, some UK insurance companies (maybe two firms) are now starting to recognise the benefits of smart home monitoring systems e.g. leak detectors and offering discounts on policies. Sadly we are also still being neglected by manufacturers in that whilst e.g. the Smartthings leak detector is available in the UK there are no smart water shutoff valves like this - https://leaksmart.com/

Any ADT business outside of the US and Canada is independent of the ADT partnership with Samsung / Smartthings. When ADT was owned by Tyco it was worldwide, but in 2012 Tyco spun off ADT US and Canada as a public company. I would imagine product offerings have diverged significantly in the years since the separation.

3 Likes

Hi, I just want to give my quick review on the ADT hub after using it for half a year now. I live in Canada, so I only use it as self monitoring. Also, the panel cannot change from Fahrenheit to Celsius(Just the panel, the app itself can still show Celsius).

What I have connect to the ADT panel

7x ADT window/door sensor,
1x ADT motion sensor
2x Z wave smoke Alarm
3x Z wave water sensor
1x Z wave siren
2x Z wave locks
3x Z wave thermostat (electric baseboard ones)
7x Z wave Light switches
1x Z wave Mimolite Garage door switch
1x Z wave Garage door Sensor
1x Philip Hue hub
4x Philip Hue Lights
3x Google home =)

There was some issues on connecting to one of the ADT sensors at the beginning correctly, so I strongly recommend getting the ADT sensors all connected first before you add any Z wave, Zigbee or connect to like a Philip Hue Bridge or anything. Once all the ADT sensors are all connected, it should be all good. If they aren’t connected properly, you will need to learn how to do a master reset on the ADT Panel (I learn it the hard way after I connected everything).

I also ran into the problem with testing the ADT panel alarm and trying to trigger the motion detector. Apparently, the motion detector has a 3 minute cool down before the motion detector can be triggered again. Because my ADT panel is within the motion detector range, I was triggering the motion detector before doing Arm Away, so it was always on cooldown when try to Arm the panel. I have to wait 3 minutes after Arming the panel for me to trigger the alarm.

Other than some small hiccups that Smarthings support help me troubleshoot, its working pretty well now. My understanding is that Z wave is potentially hackable, so having the ADT sensors on a different frequency and encrypted makes me feeling safer I guess =)?

Also, if there was a power outage, I can rely on the ADT panel backup battery to keep alarm and sensors active, and also be able to deactivate the alarm on the panel during the outage. If you are using a v2 hub, I am guessing without internet, you can’t really do much with the sensors? i could be wrong.

I didn’t notice huge lag with the adt panel. I would say the schlage z wave lock is a little slower when using the app to lock or unlock. Sometimes wait like 3 to 5 seconds maximum. Other Z wave product seems fine.

I know there are like google alarm system, ring Alarm system, Smarthing ADT hub, so I thought I give my own experience on the Smarthing ADT hub. It is nice having 1 app to do it all, which is why I spent time sorting out some of the issues with Smartthings support.

Cheers.

5 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking did you try ADT tools with your setup

1 Like

Not yet =O.

In Europe Samsung and Vodafone have an exclusive deal for Smartthings, ADT do not seem to be involved.
The new security starter pack with camera, siren sensors and software is already on sale in Spain but no date for UK.

I received the ADT Home Security Starter kit yesterday, I was very excited.
But after connecting it to the power and after to my wifi network, it keep checking for update and after a while the unit restarted, and keep in this loop!
I contacted the support regarding this issue, but didn’t get an answer yet.
Anyone had the same issue?

My initial setup 2 days ago have similar issue on the checking for update screen. When mine was ‘stuck’ initially, I think I went into the wireless option a few times to go back and forth (may be even to try disconnect/reconnect the network)

If the update is downloaded properly and applied, it should get into a kernel type screen with a status bar in the bottom.

Thank you, but after checking with ADT team, it appeared that ADT system will not work outside USA and Canada. :frowning:

1501 is the installer code

What does this code allow you to do?

The price on this has been dropped to $199. Same price as ring but better equipment. Hopefully it’s to compete with Ring and not that their discontinuing this.

Considering returning my ADT Hub.

I had the V2 hub, had it set up with about 20 sensors total, everything working great. Using the Smart Home Monitor as kind of a psudo alarm system. Bought a siren. Everything is looking good.

Then I decide, it would be cool to have a screen where I could arm or disarm if I want to, or if for some reason my presence sensor fails to detect my phone, so I can just walk in the door and disarm it.

That leads me to buying the ADT + ST bundle kit. But so far, I dont like it.

First of all, I have this new screen called “home security” but it doesnt show me if the system is active or the status or anything like Home Solutions does.

I cant use presence to arm the system without using some web core thing I havent even begun to research yet.

I now have some ADT option pestering me about signing up for their subscription which I dont want.

Worse, the fancy sensors that are supposively so much better than the standard ones wont even pair right. They show up fine in the “my things” area, but dont show up in the home security section. It just says “You have no monitorable devices”.

I am sitting here thinking, I spent $200 bucks for what is essentially a more complicated, annoying, and what feels to me to be a worse alarm system than the basic “Smart Home Monitor” that comes with smart things.

Is it less secure? Sure, but honestly I dont care if its double encrypted or all that. I just want a siren to go off if someone breaks out my window or comes in through the door. My only real concern at this point is if smartthings goes down, which I hear it does from time to time, if this siren goes off thats going to be annoying. But hey I guess I can just unplug it or turn off the siren.

I cant believe I reprogrammed all my devices to this hub and now I am actually considering going back to my V2 hub and doing it all again…

Anyone know if samsung plans to discontinue the Smart Home Monitor? I hope not because at this point I think that is all the “alarm system” I need.

Check out ADT Tools. It will add many smartthings integration features to the ADT Smartthings Panel that are not present by default.

The home security dashboard should be showing you the ADT Alarm Panel state. That would allow you to arm and disarm from you phone easily.

The fact items are showing as not monitored is because you didn’t go through the setup completely. You need to do a walk through test to make sure they are all responding properly with the panel. It is the last step in setup of the door window sensor

1 Like

Are you saying that the “Home Security” panel on the Dashboard of the “old” SmartThings app is empty and only shows the perpetual spinner? This is a known issue I reported to ST back in April and they confirmed it. Until they can get their act together, you can (and should) do two things:

1. Open a support ticket about the issue and keep requesting updates.
  2. Force-quit and re-open the application if it doesn’t show the status. This (100% reproducible for me) restores the status on the Dashboard.

I cant use presence to arm the system without using some web core thing I havent even begun to research yet.

I’m using webCoRE for this and would be happy to share…

1 Like

Thinking about getting the package since it is supposed to be $99 from Samsung next week.

Most of the reviews, however, seem to imply that it will not work with existing (non ADT labeled) ST devices and doesn’t show in the ST app. Is this (still?) the case?

Wondering how well it would integrate in with my existing devices/ setup…

TIA

Your questions are answered in this thread. Tl;dr:

1. normal zwave and zigbee sensors can’t be used for alarm monitoring (intrusion, smoke and leak)
  2. it works in both SmartThings apps
2 Likes