ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

Very interesting! Can’t see a lot of details yet, but it looks like this comes a lot closer to what I would expect for a security system in this price range:

Post updated 30 October 2017 now that more details are available

Unfortunately, the system as released has several significant missing features which means I don’t think it can compete with other low-cost security systems.

Specifically, assuming the dashboard is not also a keypad, and amazingly communication with the monitoring center requires active Wi-Fi, which means if the power goes out, the battery back up kicks in, but the system has no way of notifying either ADT monitoring or even sending a message to your cell phone.

Exit delay, built-in siren, keyfob/app disarm, status Light ( assumption from the picture), battery back up (don’t know for how long), optional integration with pro system (yes, but it’s one of the more expensive), all check, but with the Wi-Fi requirement caveat noted above.

It’s unclear if there is tight integration with a camera, how the smart lock integration would work. But no optional cellular communications.:disappointed_relieved:

The description says “cellular data backup” but I don’t know what that means Since the support documents in the SmartThings knowledge base say specifically specifically that the system cannot send security notifications if the WiFi is out (which the regular SmartThings hub also cannot do).

Looking at the launch date details, I’m actually surprised that ADT would put their name on this given that Wi-Fi is required for the notifications.

Note that the pro monitoring will only apply to a specific set of special sensors that you buy, not the regular Z wave or zigbee sensors you might already have. And if you happen to have existing ADT sensors, they don’t work with this system either.

Every device offered in the starter kit functions with 900 MHz dual-encryption wireless technology and is built to the same standards as ADT’s professionally installed products. To be monitored by ADT, you must use these specially encrypted devices, which you can also purchase as additional accessories. The 900 MHz system was designed exclusively for this effort. SmartThings and ADT say this encryption will help to safeguard against false alarms that often cost consumers hundreds of dollars in municipal fines.

Can’t tell yet if the pro monitoring service could call the fire department. If they can, that would be a huge advantage over competitors at this low-end, most of whom are only authorized to call police, not fire. They are offering a smoke detector in the group of ADT – specific devices, so I’m actually hopeful about that. But we’ll have to wait-and-see. Many people are not aware that this issue exists, but it’s one of the advantages that the primary ADT product retains against low-end competitors.

I know there are many existing SmartThings customers who will be disappointed that they can’t use their current sensors for the security piece, but I understand the technical reasons for that decision.

@Tyler

3 Likes