ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

Certainly seems to be going that way. Must work well for ADT so they don’t have to deal as much with perceived reliability issues.

3 Likes

Hmmmm, interesting! So you can’t even turn on lights or anything?

So it looks like if you are self monitoring and the power goes out and your ADT panel switches over to battery operation you will not get any notification on your phone for an alert condition. The cellular can only call the ADT monitoring center, and if you haven’t signed up for the paid monitoring, it won’t work.

Can somebody who has the panel confirm that?

As far as I can tell, nope. You can’t use the status of the security system to trigger anything. You need to use the status of a specific thing (e.g. ADT door sensor) to trigger a light.

I’m already experiencing a bug. I decided to mount the tablet which requires removing the back panel. When you remove it, it triggers a tamper alert. I cleared the alert on the panel and the panel is showing everything is clear and yet the ST app keeps telling me to check the panel because it has been tampered with. There doesn’t seem to be any way to clear the alert on the ST app yet everything is clear according to the panel… hmm.

@JDRoberts
I disconnected the WiFi and triggered an alarm and nothing happened. I even got a notification saying my hub was offline.

2 Likes

It appears that the cellular connection isn’t activated until you enable ADT monitoring. (I can confirm when the service goes live on 05-NOV) I suspect it is disabled with ADT because ADT is footing the monthly bill. Seeing as how it’s just an LTE modem, I suspect it will allow other alerts to be sent out. Again all speculation until 05-NOV.

I can confirm that when my unit when to battery power, the WiFi shut off. So unless you’re using ADT, the unit has no communication on a power failure. Needless to say I’ve plugged mine into a UPS. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good news – webCoRE works out of the box with the security system! I’ve created a virtual switch and gotten it to respond when the alarm system changes state (Stay, Away, disarmed).

Here’s how to accomplish it:

1. When authorizing devices in webCoRE look under “Which multisource powered devices”. Select “SmartThings ADT panel”.
  2. Create a piston. Under physical devices you’ll now see the ADT panel. Select it and then select “SecuritySystemStatus”.

You can then use virtual switches or whatever else to trigger events based on the status of the security system. In addition, you can also do the following:

Alarm: trigger events based on when alarm is triggered.
Tamper: trigger events if ADT panel is tampered with.
Battery: Trigger events depending on condition of battery
PowerSource: Trigger events when power switches (e.g. goes to battery power).

6 Likes

Thanks! I know what I’m doing tomorrow!

It’s now Working 100% – see bottom of post

It looks like a spoke a bit too soon – it’s partially broken. Here’s what works and what doesn’t work:

‘IF’ works flawlessly. In other words, you can use WebCoRE to respond to the status of the panel in order to trigger other things without any issues whatsoever.

‘Action’ is partially broken. You can use webCoRE to trigger a disarm command but ‘armedStay’ and ‘armedAway’ seem broken. When you select either of these commands, nothing happens.

UPDATE: I was able to get it working by using a custom command. I checked the event log for the panel in IDE and noticed webCoRE is sending the incorrect command. It’s sending ‘armStay’ when it expects ‘armedStay’. To fix this you can do the following:

1. In webCoRE select the custom command ‘armStay’ or ‘armAway’, depending on what you want triggered.
  2. Look towards the bottom for the ‘Parameters’ button. Click it and select “Add an string parameter”
  3. Select ‘Value’ and then type ‘armedStay’ or ‘armedAway’, depending on which security mode you want to activate.

Here’s what webCoRE should look like when you’re done:

6 Likes

FYI: webCoRE is now working 100%. See the above edit for info on how to fix the ‘stay’ and ‘away’ issue. :smile:

4 Likes

Any information about how to migrate the existing SmartThings devices with their settings and smart apps already up and running from the HUB to the ADT ST Panel?

100% when the panel is on mains power. What happens if everything else at your house is working fine, but the panel itself shifts to battery power. So you do have Internet, you do have Wi-Fi, your other devices have power. But the panel is running on batteries. This could happen if you had your router on a UPS.

I have my modem, router, switch and ADT panel all on a UPS for this very reason. This is the same setup I had for my v2 Hub due to the whole batterygate issue.

1 Like

No migration path as of yet. I’ve been removing and re-adding my devices one by one.

Understood, but my guess is that a lot of people are going to want to put the ADT panel In the entry near the front door, and a UPS might not fit the aesthetics there.

Completely understood. I just finished a major house redo and was able to do some pretty good planning. So anywhere I thought I would want some type of “control panel” I made sure I had a double CAT6 run and protected power outlets. :slight_smile: Planning seems to have paid off this time.

2 Likes

I have a friend who has his UPS inside a wicker basket with a fake silk plant on top. He cut away the back of the basket and he swears it’s properly ventilated and firesafe. So I guess whatever works. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

LOL - That’s not playing with :fire:

But it is aesthetically pleasing :slight_smile:

I wonder if the local inspector would agree with that?

I suspect it’s not a real wicker basket either, it’s probably some plastic thing. You can certainly get hideaway covers for all kinds of indoor electrical equipment, so I’m sure there something you could get. These aren’t RF devices so you don’t have to worry about that issue. For that matter, you could put it in a small cabinet with a fake plant on top And probably pass inspection easily as long as there was enough air space around it

That’s hell of a work. That’s one thing they still couldn’t figure out for users to simplify migration process. For all that work they cause for the existing customers who wants to update to new hub or the ST ADT panel, they need to provide some sort of rebate, discount or promotion. It would make it fair at least.

Good luck with the manual migration process, please share if any issues caused when carrying ST sensors or devices to the new panel, I’m curious to see if any errors or hardships.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like