Network Question about 1 device being seen on two networks

I have two networks in my house connected. One is the samsung pro mesh network that has most of my smartthings devices and the other is a netgear router that has most of my computers connected to it. They are connected ,but neither is in bridge mode for security reasons. The netgear is attached to the cable modem.

Neither router can see the devices connected to the other router. I recently got a smart TV that I want to hard line connect to my smartthings network (for streaming) ,but it’s to far away ,but it is close enough to my netgear network. Is there a way to make only certain devices visible to my other network without openeding everything up and making one of them operate in bridge mode?

Thanks in advance and sorry about being a network noob.

So you have a Samsung Connect Pro and Netgear router, with neither in the bridge mode. Do you have two internet connections in your house or are both connected to the same internet connection?

If you only have one internet connection, then you have two routers on the same network, which will cause network issues. Additionally, you can’t see devices across the networks likely because they are on different subnets (think the numbering scheme of the IP addresses).

To properly configure your network, you should have only one router with the other put in the bridge mode so that it does not function as a router. (Why do you think putting a device in the bridge mode causes security issues?) In this configuration, all your devices will be on the same subnet and you’ll be able to see everything.

4 Likes

BSo you have a Samsung Connect Pro and Netgear router, with neither in the bridge mode. Do you have two internet connections in your house or are both connected to the same internet connection?

I have one internet connection. The Samsung Pro is connected to the Netgear Router.

If you only have one internet connection, then you have two routers on the same network, which will cause network issues

I have had no problems to far and I’ve been doing this for awhile.

(Why do you think putting a device in the bridge mode causes security issues?

I do not want roommates and others to have excess to the devices on the samsung pro network. I feel it would be harder for an outside source to hack through two firewalls instead of one although I’m not sure.

I was able to make my netgear network see my Hue hub by using port forwarding and opening ports 80-8000. I was wondering if I can do this with other things without opening so many ports. Like is there a standard port for network devices to talk to each other without opening so many ports?