[OBSOLETE] Netgear Arlo mode management (AutoArlo)

Thanks for info. Which camera app are you using ?

I have them setup so they are controlled by my Samsung network video recorder. Just using that interface for now, but depending on what platform you want to primarily control (and view) them from there’s plenty of good free ones , ip cam viewer lite is probably best and easiest if on android device.

Hi Crussell

First of all many thanks for the hard work and opening those features to all of us!
Unfortunately, I don’t have your knowledge and every software I tried prompt me for the IP address of the device (arlo camera) which I don’t have…
I do have the AWSAccessKeyId and signature as per your procedurealong with deviceId, but don’t know what to do with those…
Can you please advise? I would love to be able to activate/deactivate the cameras and access them directly and also record video/images locally on NAS at will1

Many thanks

Phil

@JoeBee - I shamelessly ripped off your work to write an app that syncs from the SHM state, rather than generic ST modes. Since I know in advance that there will only be three states, I just made all three corresponding Arlo modes into parameters of one app:

4 Likes

Awesome idea! Good stuff.

Sorry for long time without response, ive been having problem where my hub processes disarm command at same time it sets off intruder alert and no one can figure it out. Plus add two sick miserable kids to equation and no time to think. I have to look back through what I did…my life’s been so crazy I need to refresh my memory. Were you able to obtain Mac address of each camera? You can use netstat in network tools on most routers and choose “netstat-nat” as method, “by source ip” for option, target ip would be the ip of arlo base station, then by using “sort by src-port” under extended options you should be able to type local ip address and port directly into browser (as long as you are on local network) and gain access to net gear base. You will need the info you obtained earlier to get full access depending on how good you are at maneuvering through what appears to be jibberish but once you figure out that you will have full access to firmware and settings. I’ve heard of and seen people flashing custom firmware onto basestation, which probably easier but never pursued it since I already had mine done. Might be worth looking into. Ive also seen in netgear forums where cameras themselves were flashed with custom roms, now that is something I’m probably going to try since the hardware can support more than what software allows at the basic/free plan. I have an Asus Rt-AC88P with asuswrt-merlin firmware (not netgear fan) so your router options might be different. If you can on yours I’d flash with something Tomato based or DD-WRT. It will greatly increase all you do with this, ST, gaming, streaming , all router related activities in general.

I forgot to mention that while using netstat to have your arlo cameras on and streaming live so you are able to capture all the ports used. Also depending on skillset and router abilities in activity monitor, try capturing/recording all the packets sent each way…the more information the easier it is

I will get really specific as soon as I get a chance to go through steps again, I wish I could just write some code but with this there’s a little more to it. Definitely a special Thanks to JoeBee for starting this and what he did to get this started, certainly anything I am able to add to it wouldn’t be possible without him starting everything. Hopefully I can get enough off from base station and camera that he can eventually write it into his code and all it takes is a flip of a switch in an app and ST has full control.

Can anyone help a newbie.

When I try to create the device handler from code (copied from the link) I get the following error:

Java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘locationDTO’ on null object

Do I need to change anything in the code to match my system?

Also when you eventually get to creating a new device, what is the Device Id you use as this is mandatory?

Thank You

AutoArlo is a SmartApp, not a device handler.

Ha ha ha, I told you I was a Newbie :smiley:

Thanks for responding very quickly, I just haven’t got used to the terminology yet.

Very Embarrassing.

Thanks

No worries, we all start somewhere! Let us know how it goes.

That worked great thanks.

To get it to turn back to the disarmed would you have to have another smartapp (different name) that invoked the mode0 and was fired by the smartthings being set to Home.

Also I would like to switch it to schedule but this doesn’t seem to be identified like the mode0 and mode1, how would you do that?

And lastly, is there any way to view the video live feeds for the Arlo camera’s as devices in Smartthings.

Thanks

@Ian_Hirst
Not sure about your last two questions but the answer to the first is yes!
AFAIK the only way to view arlo output within Smartthings is to abandon the arlo hub and link to a Samsung NVR like @Crussell above.

Has anyone got a mix of Arlo wire-free and Q cams and got this working?
I’ve got it working for the hub but not the Qs.
Any assistance much appreciated!
Cheers,
Matt

I believe I did as was required but when I change modes in SmartThings to test my mode in Arlo does not change. Does it matter if I specify ‘Mode1’ or ‘mode1’? Any help?

Thanks

Never mind, ‘Mode1’ or ‘mode1’ does matter. I had ‘Mode1’ which obviously was incorrect. I changed to ‘mode1’, tested and all works as expected. Thank you for the smartapp.

1 Like

Hi Folks - I am clearly doing something wrong. Can someone please post step by step directions?

Has anyone had any luck doing something similar with the Arlo Q?

Did you ever have any luck getting this to work with the Arlo Q?

I’m pretty sure it can be done, using either autoarlo or arlotron, and substituting arlo device IDs straight in. It’s a horrible workaround, and not sure it’ll work but will try tomorrow. My coding skills are too limited to do it properly!
Was hoping IFTTT support might have arrived by now (seeing as it was due “in April”) but have given up!