Nest Thermostat

So does the rollout pending legal review include both the thermostat as well as Protect?

Oh, nice, this is good to hear. Thanks!

Having read Google’s boilerplate legal notes on the API, it sounds like they pretty much reserve the right to review every part of your app if you plan to release it to a large number of people, which would cover just about any professional developer.

I’m no expert, but when legal reviews take weeks it signals to me that somebody on the Google side likely asked for a change on the SmartThings side, either in terms of branding or in terms of core functionality.

One of the non-starters for me in the agreement with Nest / Google is the requirement to not data collect anything from the Nest and retain past 7 days. It’s my data, I’ll store it how I want and for as long as I want.

1 Like

I know good software takes time to get perfect, but it doesn’t make the wait any easier for those of us who are not technically-inclined enough to hack our own solution. Not complaining, just chomping at the bit for full Nest integration. I think it’s been almost two months since @Dianoga submitted his app. Tell the lawyers they get paid by the app, not the hour, and I bet things hurry along, eh @Ben ?

1 Like

I changed the thermostat icon to a different Icon to differentiate between my 2 thermostats (upstairs vs downstairs) and now the next thermostat doesn’t report the temperature. Is there an easy fix for this? How do I get the default Icon back?

Just read this. Not sure if the developer program opens up more sensors.

Nest, as a company, has said they will not allow their API to be used as a presence/motion sensor. Maybe Dropcam will change that though, but who wants cameras “inside” the house
 Best to just get a PIR for $35

Is there an update on this? Its been nearly 3 weeks since it was in “legal review”.

I think it’s actually been much longer than that.

The Nest terms are actually not very friendly to 3rd party integrations. Aside from final legal review we also need to make an architectural change (in the works before this) where we only store 7 days of data. The nest terms say 10 days or fewer days of data can be stored.

Good luck. I think it will be worth the effort for sales and marketing alone, not to mention customer retention.

Wow - I was just checking back in on this. Maybe it should be renamed Godot

So the “Official” API just uses OAUTH for authentication instead of the website credentials each time the device authenticates

The data sent back via the API is IDENTICAL as well as the posting of the changes back to the API.

The only difference is it is OFFICIAL or supported by NEST. They could change it at any time, but this would require a rewrite of their website, mobile apps, etc. And since it is identical to the official API, they’d probably need to change that as well.

I’ve been using this for months with no issues. I have the official Control4 Nest driver on my system as well, and the data packets, communications, everything is the same, except for token oauth2 vs user/pass authentication.

Yes, there are many additional features one could implement from the API to get a list of NESTS and PROTECTS and add sub devices from a NEST smartapp, but I’ll let someone else write it.

I was looking at getting a Nest for my home as we are just buying the SmartThings hub, good/bad idea?

Nest is a good t-stat. Doesn’t matter if it integrates or not. Ecobee’s are nice as well, Honeywell’s new wifi one is neat.

Just comes down to what you want to do with it. Setting temp on a schedule isn’t hard

That doesn’t sound like you :smile:

For me it matters because I really do want my mode changes to drive the comfort level of my house. It would be great to use more of the sensors in the Nest but I don’t really want it to learn on its own because it doesn’t have enough inputs to do a good job (at least in my experience. My new place has a 2nd gen Nest on the wall, but if we cannot gain access to more of it I may yank it off. Ecobee or Lyric look like good options for me then.

Turn of the smart learning feature, use it as a dumb t-stat and let smartApps control it
 If only there was one

What can’t you access @Ben? The Nest unofficial API has everything
 Hack the webpage, screw the “official” API. My data is my data. Don’t let google tell you to drop older then 7 days worth of data

Or just agree to it, like everything else, and just do what you want
 Samsung has enough lawyers to get around that small little issue

Anyway
 Ecobee looks interesting, but do they have staying power. Nest will be around a long time.

It’s critical to integrate with Nest if for no other reason than to maintain SmartThings’ leading position in the market. Cede it and someone else will be happy to take up the torch, along with both the aggravation and profits that stem from working with our Google friends. The word of mouth alone you’ll get from being able to control lights, thermostat, locks, music, all with one app is tremendous. Don’t give up.

2 Likes

Hi, nice work, perfect integration.

now work with Celsius?

bye bye have a nice day

It’s been over a month since the news of nest integration is pretty much ready to go, are we there yet?