[OBSOLETE] Nest Protect Device Type

I appreciate your offer and i’d love to take your money and make the Nest Protect more useful, but those features are not exposed from the Nest Protect on Nests’ site.
This is a full list of all the exposed Nest Protect data, as you can see there is not a lot of it that is useful.

[18B43000002BXXXX:[
wifi_regulatory_domain:A2,
component_led_test_passed:true,
component_speaker_test_passed:true,
auto_away:true,
product_id:9,
home_alarm_link_capable:false,
co_status:0,
heads_up_enable:true,
night_light_continuous:false,
smoke_status:0,
thread_ip_address:[fe80:0000:0000:0000:1ab4:3000:002b:XXXX, fd34:9e87:d350:0002:1ab4:3000:002b:XXXX],
certification_body:1,
description:,
ntp_green_led_brightness:2,
battery_health_state:0,
component_smoke_test_passed:true,
component_heat_test_passed:true,
capability_level:2.0,
smoke_sequence_number:0,
structure_id:eb8f6600-1251-11e1-ae6d-1231381b6fd4,
device_locale:en_US,
battery_level:5366,
component_buzzer_test_passed:true,
device_external_color:white,
steam_detection_enable:true,
component_us_test_passed:true,
$timestamp:1444087101693,
thread_mac_address:18b43000002bc84a,
installed_locale:en_US, model:Topaz-2.7,
spoken_where_id:00000000-0000-0000-0000-00010000000f,
fabric_id:5D3B5E349E87D350,
wifi_mac_address:18b4302fxxxx,
line_power_present:true,
component_pir_test_passed:true,
where_id:00000000-0000-0000-0000-00010000000f,
software_version:3.0rc16,
component_temp_test_passed:true,
kl_software_version:3.0.16,
ntp_green_led_enable:false,
device_born_on_date_utc_secs:1437091200,
creation_time:1440965329979,
replace_by_date_utc_secs:1752710400,
gesture_hush_enable:false,
co_sequence_number:0,
component_wifi_test_passed:true,
factory_loaded_languages:en_US,es_US,
wired_led_enable:true,
hushed_state:false,
serial_number:06CA01AC281504HJ,
component_als_test_passed:true,
resource_id:topaz_resource.5,
component_co_test_passed:true,
night_light_enable:true,
component_hum_test_passed:true,
wifi_ip_address:192.168.000.000,
$version:-1077,
wired_or_battery:0]]

Hi again @sidjohn1 and thanks for your quick and honest answer.

Since I need the sensor motion as a trigger for turn off my a/c and lights, maybe the auto_away variable could be used instead. Any chance you could test how this variable change before do any programming? If for instance, it change to “true” after a given number of minutes without detecting motion, and I can use it as a trigger, it will work for me.

Auto away is a setting that allows the nest protect to assist the nest with presence detection. So that value is not useful in that way.

Hello, I used your code but it is not updating status. I am willing to donate $10 if you can assist.

This is a limitation of smartthings, for now the solution is to install Pollster as well and have it poll the device every min. I wish there was a better way.

I installed pollster but its still not changing. Last status was from yesterday even though I have pollster set to every 5 mins. Any ideas?

I’m not entirely sure what type of updates you are expecting, it should say every is fine unless it’s not. You may want to check live logging for events that look like this:

If this is what you see when you hit the refresh button on the device, then the device is working as designed and is up to date.

What should I see under recently in the App? The only entry I have is from yesterday “Alarm State is Clear” I would think I would see that state every 5 mins?

The only event I have in the log is from yesterday still

@marcussantiago if you want help please follow my instructions, the “recently” list only reports changes. If you haven’t had a fire since yesterday, it would be correct.

1 Like

I did look at the log as you said and I do not have any entries you show in your example.

One thing I noticed in your configuration for setting up Nest you talk about the serial number instead of the MAC of the Nest. Which is supposed to be used?

dude thats not live logging, use the link in my previous post.

From the install instructions:
Add the Nest Protect MAC Address
login to http://home.nest.com
Click the Protect icon
Open the right-hand side bar
Open Nest Protect Settings
Choose the Nest Protect you are adding
Open Technical Info
Copy the value next to 802.15.4 MAC.

Interesting that after I switched the polling interval from 5 minutes to 1 minute I am now seeing logs.

1 Like

oh and BTW, I also see pollster commands under ‘Recently’ in the app now as well. I guess earlier it was hung.

Thats also been going on today too, not just with pollster

Worked great for me using the code from @sidjohn1 https://github.com/sidjohn1/SmartThings-NestProtect Took a moment to update, but then was in business.

Heads up to everyone, nest has implemented rate limiting. For those of us who are polling your nest protect every minuet with pollster it has stopped updating. once i figure out what nest will allow as a polling frequency i will update the thread. This may be the end of the road for me and Nest.