[OBSOLETE] Nest Protect Device Type

@tuffcalc Did you log into Nest Protect’s dashboard to see if it’s reporting the alert? SmartThings will only get the alert if Nest pushes it.

@jcbannon Thank you very much. I had a feeling and I was doing that as you replied. I’m wrapping up the 2nd one now.

@tuffcalc I’ll let you know tonight!

@jcbannon is this an option I have?? Also will the motion work with the wired Protects??
JC, disregard I see your replies.

@jcbannon just wanted to let you know both are in and look good. I’ll test them tonight for alerts.

Couple Questions:
Is there anyway to get this on the Dashboard?
Other than “Notify Me When” can you suggest any smartApps?

Thanks great work!!

@jcbannon - yes, Nest Protect’s dashboard is reporting the alert. I noticed that there is no activity being shown in smartthings. Let’s see if @antman2 can replicate the issue tonight.

1 Like

I can confirm there’s NO activity either. As far as alerts I’ll see what I can muster up later.

***side note both NEST Protects are 120v with the battery backup. I guess the battery status won’t show up since they’re hard wired huh?

@antman2 - I am testing both 120v and battery only versions. Both only show battery level as “ok”. It think that’s the intention as from my understanding the NP will only report “ok” or “low”.

@tuffcalc What is the status in the Nest dashboard? “Alarm,” “Fire,” “Smoke,” “Detected,” “Test,” etc.? Getting the exact word right will likely fix the problem.

@tuffcalc got ya so it shouldn’t matter on which NP I have. Thanks!

@jcbannon in ST’s I see both NP’s under Damage & Danger on the dashboard! Both are under Smoke and Carbon Monoxide when you swipe to the left 4 pages; where should I look for the “exact word right” to fix any problem you’re suggesting?? In “Things” I have both NP’s in green saying “SMOKE CLEAR”. When I tap on the tile for each NP all 3 circles are green; Smoke Clear, CO Clear and Battery OK.

I hope it’s not smoke and mirrors (pardon the pun HA) and it’s actually pulling the right info. I will check tonight and make sure, but if I’m missing something else please let me know.

@jcbannon - See the attached photos for the exact wording from the Nest dashboard.

@jcbannon - take a look at @sidjohn1 's post at Has anyone been able to get Nest Protect working?

I admit I am terrible with programming, but maybe something to consider?

I would say try updating this code section, to replace state(“smoke” with state(“Emergency” and see if it shows up:

tiles {
	standardTile("smoke", "device.alarmState", width: 2, height: 2) {
		state("clear", label:"Smoke clear", icon:"st.alarm.smoke.clear", backgroundColor:"#44B621")
		state("Emergency", label:"SMOKE", icon:"st.alarm.smoke.smoke", backgroundColor:"#e86d13")
		state("tested", label:"TEST", icon:"st.alarm.smoke.test", backgroundColor:"#e86d13")
	}

I did a test last night and nothing. Unless I have the wrong code in it seems like this is just for looks and doesn’t report or give any notification. This test was done with the updated code from @jcbannon in the previous post. Any suggestions please let me know.

This is what my Things page looks like. The NP’s are at the bottom left and right in green. They never changed when I did the test last night. Nor did I get a notification, and yes I have both set up with 3 different SmartApps.

This is the status ALL the time with both NP’s. This never changes or changed since I installed it yesterday!

Here’s my Activity feed! This goes for both NP’s and as you see nada!

For me I am not entirely concerned at the moment (atleast not until nest products become officially supported) about activity feed, However I am concerned about the things I have setup with Nest Protect and Smartthings to happen in a fire. For example doors unlock/open and lights turn on. The alerts will alert my phone through the Nest app and I have an activity feed in that. I am going to test it today when my kids are at their grandparents house.

2 Likes

@korban_hadley that is 100% right on. This is why I made the investment in NEST; and I don’t understand why NEST and ST’s are not “officially” supported yet. I mean I have an idea why, but that’s just conspiracy talk HA! I’m not worried about anything other showing or not showing either, but I want the actions to work as you mentioned unlocking the doors in case of a fire. Having a light turn on in case of a fire. That’s all I care about and it didn’t work last night. I have 2 NP’s and both are set up with all those actions and both failed the test last night.

Please let me know if you see the same thing. If this doesn’t work I’ll buy a hub that will work and is officially supported by NEST. I’m getting tired of the backdoor programming already; it’s fun and all but this isn’t new anymore. A company like NEST (Google) should already be officially supported. Do whatever they want and get this done already!! Where the big fish go the little fish follow!!

1 Like

@antman2 - I don’t think the code polls, if someone can update the device type or app to poll every 30 seconds, it should work.

1 Like

My test also did nothing but I haven’t checked the latest. IFTTT works but the delay is not consistent.

@beckwith Don’t need this in ST’s if I’m using IFTTT since NEST has their own channel with IFTTT. I love IFTTT, but I want live notifications with ST’s especially when I’m dealing with something serious like fire alarms. I want my doors locks to open and lights to turn on if there’s a fire. IFTTT can’t do that right? @tuffcalc you’re 100% on with the polling issue. I think that’s a mute issue until NEST and ST’s figures out their issues to make this work. Right now I’m in a holding pattern until something changes.

The IFTTT interface with SmartThings and Nest does allow you to turn on lights. You may have the fire out before IFTTT triggers it however.

1 Like