[OBSOLETE] Nest Protect Device Type

Scroll up, follow the directions ?

1 Like

There is no official smartthings one. Nest Manager is another custom device to interface Nest to smartthings.

Like @RLDreams said scroll up for the “Nest Manager” link. Go to that thread and follow the directions.

BEFORE you do that. Log into the IDE. Select devices, select your protect and remove it.
Then go the the Device Type Tab, select the Nest Protects software that THIS thread had you install and remove it.

It’s all in the post right above here made by myself and others.

2 Likes

Got several Nest Protects installed. I am not clear on how the presence sensor works for it. Can someone explain it please?

I am kinda hoping that I could use them as sort of a poorman’s security system; report on movement when no one (I know) is home.

Thanks in advance!

I don’t believe presence is available from the Protects. An API limitation.

Hmmm… I managed to get one installed somehow, and it shows present.

The 2nd gen Protects have some kind of presence (night light turns on for example, and I thought that they all communicate with each other with this kind of stuff).

Should I just remove that device?

My protects can tell when you walk by. They then turn on a night light for that individual protect. I believe this is an option you can configure along with brightness of light.

I recommend you use this device type for your Protects.

In my opinion it is more stable and works better.

That is the version I am using. It created a Nest Presence thing, but my Next Protects do not appear to trigger it (always shows present).

Don’t know anything about that. I just added my Protects since that’s all I have. I looked and my presence toggle is off.

I’m pretty sure (as stated above) the Protect presence detection does not connect to smartthings. It is just used internally by the protects.

So, I’ve read it all nad tried to follow the intructions with no luck. First I added a new Device Handler with the code from this thread. I also added the username, password and Mac-adress to the code as the instructions suggested but I think theres something wrong. The device wont work properly and I culdn’t find Nest Protect as a device type when i tried to add a new device. Please give me updated instructions because these wont work.

You need to start here: [BROKEN] NST Manager v5.0 (Does Not Work Anymore)

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to add the Nest Protect stand alone as a Thing. You can’t do that. You need to install the NST Manager ‘suite’ with SmartApp and related device handlers.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I’ve just installed the app manually since I live in Sweden. But Im having problems with Oauth. Getting an error.

I recommend you post over in the thread I linked to. You may get more help from the authors of the code.

Amazing instructions, wonderful community. Thank you very much!

I noticed Nest Protect is no longer available because the custom DTH and SmartApp are gone with Groovy being gone. I know there is a limited Nest integration with some devices but apparently the API is different on Nest Protect.

My question:

Does SmartThings have a future plan in place to build that integration with Nest Protect? I can wait if need me.

If not, then what do you all recommend that works with SmartThings that is battery powered? I am kind of apprehensive about adding more Z-Wave or Zigbee if Thread is to replace them in the future, thus forcing me to change those devices should I need to change hubs.

My nest protects still show in the device lists and appear to show as active. They have just moved across, so I guess may still be add nest protect and it will automatically do its thing with drivers

Those decisions are made by Google Nest as they own and maintain the integration.

1 Like

Just be prepared for when they do stop working. There have been a few MyQ users still on the groovy DTH reporting it is still working for them. At some point, all groovy stuff will be shut down.

Is it no longer possible to connect a Nest Protect to SmartThings? When I try to add my Nest Protect by using link services, the next step, Google’s Connection Manager page, looks like this

1 Like

That’s correct. Google does not expose the Protects to SmartThings.

2 Likes