SmartThings Community

Nest Protect Device Type

Thanks, good to know.

They haven’t exposed their motion detection, yet… ;-).

Hi. I installed the Nest and was perfectly showing in the Smartthings devices. Since morning i am unable to find in the list of devices on IOS. However, I am able to see them in my list of devices on web interface. Anyone help plz.

Are you using the Nest Manager smartapp or a Nest Protect device type?

Nest protect device type

Have you looked into Nest Manager? Most of the users stopped using device types for Nest Manager because it works very well and integrates all of Nest’s ecosystem.

3 Likes

Thanks for the help. I installed it and is working perfectly. :slight_smile:

Is the temperature sensor on the nest protect exposed to smartthings?

Unfortunately no.

I finally was able to get ST to see my Nest Protect in the Device list, And I see all the information about the current status.
Although it does not show up as a “Thing” in the Android App. If I try to add it to a Room I get the message “An Unexpected Error Occurred”

Any HELP would be greatly Appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

I think when it doesn’t show up in your app, it did not connect to smartthings correctly. Not 100% on that. Just seem to remember it from someplace.

I was using this device type but kept having issues, so I removed my protects and this software.

Then used Nest Manager to connect them to smartthings.

1 Like

Is there a link to a form so I can try to setup ST correctly

Not sure what your asking for?

I think? Someone please correct me if I’m wrong. When your devices (whatever they are) perform initial connection to hub. They exchange data about what the thing is and and values of certain parameters. Smartthings uses this data to setup your device and add it to your system. If anything happens during this initial connection (bad data, missing information, ect…) weird things happen.
Can’t control, doesn’t show up ect…

My guess is you need to remove your protects using the IDE. Then reinstall them using this device handler or remove this device handler, install nest manager, then reconnect your protects.

Just my opinion, what you do is up to you.

I had a similar situation where my protects were not visible in my android app. They were visible in the IDE. To fix it is removed the protects in the IDE, then removed the protect device software I had installed in the IDE, then installed the Nest manager software in the IDE, then installed my protects using that software.

If you look like less than 10 post up in this thread, someone else was also having issues. Someone else replied with a link to nest manager as the fix.

1 Like

how do you change the DTH from the Nest Protect one to the “native” ST one? What’s the name of the ST one?

Scroll up, follow the directions ?

1 Like

There is no official smartthings one. Nest Manager is another custom device to interface Nest to smartthings.

Like @RLDreams said scroll up for the “Nest Manager” link. Go to that thread and follow the directions.

BEFORE you do that. Log into the IDE. Select devices, select your protect and remove it.
Then go the the Device Type Tab, select the Nest Protects software that THIS thread had you install and remove it.

It’s all in the post right above here made by myself and others.

2 Likes

Got several Nest Protects installed. I am not clear on how the presence sensor works for it. Can someone explain it please?

I am kinda hoping that I could use them as sort of a poorman’s security system; report on movement when no one (I know) is home.

Thanks in advance!

I don’t believe presence is available from the Protects. An API limitation.

Hmmm… I managed to get one installed somehow, and it shows present.

The 2nd gen Protects have some kind of presence (night light turns on for example, and I thought that they all communicate with each other with this kind of stuff).

Should I just remove that device?