[OBSOLETE] Nest Protect Device Type

First off, thanks to everyone that has worked on this. It seems like I may be buying a Nest Protect soon, but I do have one question.
Is it possible in the current code, or maybe with some additional code, for smartthings to silence the alarm similar to how the nest app can?

While @sidjohn1’s device type worked great, checkout the new Nest Manager. They have really simplified the process. The one thing I didn’t see is a silencer alarm feature and I am not sure you ever will. They did however add a feature to test by detector how your integrations work.
[REMOVED] Nest Manager

3 Likes

Hey Guys,

How have these been working? My building inspector (just finishing a renovation) just basically asked me to replace my existing 3 wired smoke detectors to add carbon dioxide, and then buy 5 more smoke alarms for the bedrooms.

I was thinking of buying 3 Nest Protects, and then some cheaper (interconnected) smoke alarms for the bedrooms (battery), but need to get some input.

Does the Next Protect tie in to the Smart Home Monitor? Does this or the “Nest Manager” device type work well/consistently? Any other thoughts I should be concerned of?

Thanks!

The Nest ones will integrate with SmartThings hub. It’s not easy though, and there are some cheaper alternatives that are easier. I’m stuck with all Nest though since I had them before I had my ST hub. You will have to load code into IDE, as Nest is not natively supported.

Everything seems to work consistently. No issues here. I have lots of rules set up on mine, for example if Nest Protect goes into emergency (there are two modes on Nest), all the lights turn on, the A/C turns off, any A/V stuff turns off, etc. I’ve tested and it works. But, I think I’d look for one of the brands that natively integrates with ST if I was starting from scratch.

Delete my reply

You can very easily integrate your Nest Products by heading here

Another plus about going the Nest route is you are not 100% tied into ST. If the cloud is down you will still get events from Nest, although if Nest cloud is down you are still SOL. If you have battery powered smoke in the bedrooms I would consider getting Nest Protects too. If there is an alarm they will wireless trigger other detectors. This is nice if you have a smoke alarm downstairs at night, it will sound in the bedroom.

Are you planning on getting a Nest Thermostat?

@darrylb - I’ll second the Nest Manager recommendation from @tonesto7. It is a beast and works great. Very easy to setup. You will be done in 10 minutes. I did a Nest and 9 Nest Protects in 20 minutes.

1 Like

9 Nest Protects? Sheez. Not cheap!

I don’t like the Nest Thermostat, I have ecobee’s. Only eyeing the Nest Protects…

I don’t think you need a Nest thermostat to use the Nest Manager. It should work with just the Nest Protects. I don’t’ believe that Nest would have done as good as a job as @tonesto7 has done.

1 Like

Considering my house only had 2 (smoke detectors) when I moved in, it wasn’t like I was throwing out good ones for “better” ones. I prefer the look and at the time there wasn’t a lot of decent alternatives. 9 nest protects was just a small dent in my home automation project.

Understood, I wasn’t responding in that sense, but someone asked if I had or wanted a Nest Thermostat. I’m only considering the Nest Protects right now.

I was asking because the Thermostats and Nest interact with other to determine Away. This is the reasons I went full Nest in my house, but it was before I jumped into ST and now use rules to set temps. I have 8 protects and 2 Nest thermostats, and was a driver on why I worked on nest-manager. Nest-Manager will work in a Protect only environment.

Without the thermostat I am not sure its worth the the premium for protects, especially since you are not planning to have them everywhere. Smoke detectors only interconnect with the same brand. Zwave only smoke/co detectors are half the price of Nests.

Primary reason I am eyeing the Nest, is I can power it by wire. Its a huge sell.

I already have 1 ZCOMBO, but its only battery, which is less then ideal as a replacement for a currently wired connection.

I have only protects, no thermostats. Works great.

The protects have a number of features I love, but the best one? It talks to you first before it sets off any siren. Gives you a chance to fix the issue (invariably cooking) before being chased out of the house.

Yeah I think I am going to buy three for my main hallways, I like the light feature, I like the self-testing, etc. And having them wired is a big deal for me, where possible. They also look a bit more modern, which is beneficial to a nearly fully renovated home.

Anyone know of a way to get these a bit cheaper? Any other suggestions before I commit, by anyone? Was going to buy 3 at this stage…

If you find a way, let me know. I need to get at least five more (have had 3 for more than a year and I am very happy with them, so far).

Yeah, I need to get 7 more… My renovation failed, because of fire inspection :frowning:

Did they recommend the Protect?