Nest Hello Doorbell

Morning Guys,

I have soldered up a solution to effectively bypass the Nest API - or lack of for the actual push button.

Instead of connecting the Chime Connector to a hard wired old door bell chime iIhave a 16v transformer power source and the Chime Connector connected to a simple non-latching relay.

I them got a Z-wave Water sensor, cut off the probe and use the open wires to connect to the relay: Normally closed terminals.

Change your device type in the Smartthing api to a z wave button and your done. Now when the Door bell is pressed the Relay activates the Z wave module and you get a notification on your smartthings.

I then set up a Echo Speaks Webcore Piston to find a Door bell chime on Apple Music that rings triggers when the button is pressed.

I also used the two normally open 2 terminals on connect a hacked push button for a standard wireless doorbell & ringer.

My transformer, z wave device and Wireless Doorbell button all go into a double din blank socket box located beside a standard wall socket box and powered from there.

The Door bell wires them simply pulled through the wall as normal.

4 Likes

Donā€™t mind me, just stealing the solution above

1 Like

If you have the time, any chance of a circuit diagram of the above? Would very much appreciate that!

1 Like

I have a theory and must say at the beginning that I havenā€™t tried it yet but should work.

If you have simple door bell working with Nest hello you should be able to put a simple zwave/zigbee door sensor without the magnet portion inside the chime near the electromagnet that has hammer move inside it to strike metal plates in order to produce sound. The electromagnet gets magnetized when someone presses the Nest switch, that acts like a magnet to the door sensor as if contact is closed. You can use that trigger to drive other automation In Smartthings. Will try it out over weekend.

2 Likes

Love to hear the result of this! @lalit_jaitly

Let us know how this goes before we go and attempt @Davy932ā€™s amazing solution!

If you use a double pole relay in the Davy932 solution you can keep your exiting doorbell connected for instant ring (no Alexa/Google integration step needed) as well as still getting the Z-Wave or ZigBee ring notification into ST.

1 Like

Correct!!
It means its a system upgrade with no change to the existing ring function in your home. Good news if your wife isnā€™t a huge lover of Smart. Also retains your instant ā€˜Ding Dongā€™ and not having to wait on smartthings notification etc etc etc

1 Like

Fantastic idea, Stolen and working thank you so much for sharing.

Can anyone who has a working workaround for integration post a more specific step-by-step on how to do it? The summarized solutions above arenā€™t quite enough for the average person (me?) to implement.

3 Likes

Is there a way you could use a ST sensor in the doorbell housing to recognize a vibration when itā€™s rung, and use that to get to ST? Iā€™m a complete newb here, just trying to figure out whether buying a Nest Hello is worth the trouble if everything else I have is STā€¦

Yes, the Samsung SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor works if you mount it inside the doorbell housing. I have had this working for a year or so. My problem now is that it keeps going off when someone slams a door or runs up and down the stairs (the doorbell is mounted on the wall next to my stairway). So I want to switch to @Davy932 solution using a double pole relay as @xAPPO suggested.

I would like to use your solution and keep my existing doorbell for the wife. Would a door/window sensor work with Dry Contacts? What relay am I going to have to get?

Agree with this. @Davy932 - can we trouble you for a step by step guide on what you did?

Looks like you did this too @Gazfawkes. Maybe you can help?

Thanks!

Hi,

The solution is relatively simple. The mechanical relay effectively replaces the terminals on what would be a powered doorbell. When power is sent to this it closes (or opens subject to how your chose to wire it) and then effectively either makes or breaks the modified moisture sensor.

Iā€™m having a hard enough time following the original post, but I get its simplicity in practice.

Maybe you could share an itemized parts list? I see things in the original picture that I donā€™t believe are referenced in the breakout?

Also, for example, I have an old doorbell chime with a transformer in it that hasnā€™t really worked with the Nest. Iā€™ve essentially replaced the ding dong with two google miniā€™s around the house. Is the idea that you would use the existing transformer in your scenario or is that transformer meant to be separate? Sounds like you have the solution in a separate, almost project box.

Seems like an excellent and sufficiently achievable DIY idea! Iā€™m just not very fluent in circuitry and I assume many DIYers here are in the same boat.

Thanks!

How?

I am an idiot when it comes to tasker and sharptools

Specific instructions would be appreciated

@xAPPO @Davy932 which z-wave water sensor did you guys find easiest to connect to the relay to? How long does the water sensor battery last? Has anyone found a similar z-wave sensor that is not battery powered?