Need help debugging: Non ST Motion sensor stops working after a couple of days

(Daniel Consuegra) #1

Hi all!

Hope someone can enlighten me with this mystery!

I’ve got a motion sensor from everspring that I’ve customised with a 5V power supply so I don’t need to keep changing batteries.

So in theory it shouldn’t turn off… right?

Wrong! It lasts not even a few days (2 max, I believe) and then it just stops working… I have to unplug it, open the battery compartment and plug it back in… then it goes back to work… for another day or two!

Is there anywhere I can keep a track of what it does? I’ve got the graph interface and the ST app…

Thanks guys!!!

(Tim Slagle) #2

What happens if you remove your customization and go back to battery power? I’m wondering if the wall wart you have is bad a regulating power or something and is messing with the device…

(Daniel Consuegra) #3

Hey Tim!

If I remove the plug and revert to batteries, they last the same amount of time… and the cycle restarts…

(Tim Slagle) #4

No other device has this issue? Do you have multiple ecolink devices? If so, do the others work and this one doesn’t?

(Daniel Consuegra) #5

as far as motion sensors go, I’ve got a smartthings one and this one… all other devices work as advertised… (except the smartthings presence tags… they last a month or 2, instead of the year advertised…)

(Tim Slagle) #6

Hmmmmmm could be a couple things. I’m leaning towards the device being defective though.

Can you get the device replaced?

(Daniel Consuegra) #7

After I’ve modified it? even though it was a minor mod… electrical poles soldered to a 5V adapter… lol! I’ll have to wait till ST arrives at European shores… The ST motion sensor works flawlessly AND has a USB connection to the mains…

(Tim Slagle) #8

Yeah, each scenario I see it seems like a device issue. Rebuilt your zwave network?

Try un-including the device and re-including it?

(Daniel Consuegra) #9

Will do right now! (Just finished dinner here in Spain) will report back in a few minutes…