Two reps, including a supervisor, argued with me for nearly 2 hours (!!!) that I CANNOT use SmartThings Classic with my new v3 hub. Unless I am dreaming things, our trusted ST Staff posting in these forums has repeatedly told us to keep using the classic app while they work on updating the new app to keep things working. Am I missing anything?
The reason for my call was to get help, since email support is not answering, on a few remaining issues post my v2 to v3 migration.
My scenes were working beautifully at first (way better than w/ v2 where scenes would not finish) but then started saying “Something’s wrong - We can’t load your screen right now.” when I tried to edit them. I suspect it has to do with some device I added (or tore out) which is causing it to “go wrong”. I cannot edit or delete scenes but I can run them. If I use the new app I can create them but since a good majority of my devices are not supported, I can’t use it as a work around. Editing/deleting the scenes created by the new app in the classic app is not possible so I can’t workaround the issue by using the new app to create them and then edit them in the classic where all my devices are available. Deleting all the scenes, to clear up possible corruption, did not help either.
Network repairs occasionally stop working. I believe that my Aeon HEM G5 was causing the issue. Excluding, resetting and adding back seems to have fixed it. I have more details on this if ST is interested.
Including devices doesn’t always work. The hub’s led stays solid green instead of blinking and nothing gets discovered. A power cycle fixes the issue. As I added devices, this was getting to be more and more frequent. Excluding and including new devices was extremely slow, and often did not work at all until I rebooted the hub (via IDE when possible).
The support agents argued with me for nearly 2 hours stating that I had to be wrong because v3 is not supported and not compatible with the classic app. They questioned even the most basic things I told them (I had to confirm I was actually on the classic app!!, etc.). We all know this is NOT TRUE and I am quite certain I read posts on this forum from trusted ST engineers that, to the contrary, we should be using the classic app until the new one is ready.
On top of that, they seemed not to believe me that 100% of my home automation was working (ignoring the setup/maintenance part) just fine in the classic app. One solution I was given was to leave incompatible devices on v2 and just move compatible devices on v3… and use both apps. WHAT??? This does not address my issue (scenes not working), and is totally unnecessary, as all of my devices are working on v3 as long as I use the classic app.
The conversation also took a detour when I was being educated on how their 3 pack allows you to put 2 hubs under the main one (not sure why he was still stuck on that concept given it had nothing to do with my issue). When I told him that I believe he was talking about a typical wifi mesh network he said he was talking about zwave… Unless I missed a big change, I don’t believe it is possible to add other ST hubs as Secondary controllers?? I’ve seen this issue debated on the forums more than once for those with very large homes or living in Faraday cages… and other than repeaters there was little you could do (having two separate hubs is an option but very inconvenient as they would be separate and independent systems). The support agent was trying to prove his knowledge, to overcome my objections, with an example that I believe to be incorrect (if so it totally backfired).
SmartThings PLEASE educate your support on the matter. I can set aside the typical tech support treatment where they assume you are an id10t because I understand that they often have to deal with people with extremely basic technical knowledge but if they had actually listened to me I would expect them to consider what I was saying as a possibility and worth checking with R&D and not some poorly written script.
Sorry for tagging all of you, but I’d like this post NOT to be ignored (I think I dealt with some bugs) and I would really love to get some help. On a side note, the Scenes are what I was using for my 3 year old and 1.5 year old going to bed routines… not having them is a bit disruptive and my son keeps telling me “Papa’ - fix it, it (“ST”) is broken”.
My migration took 2 weeks and was grueling but nothing like this 2 hour phone support call gave me a headache and left me speechless from the frustration.
Let me make one last point clear, I am NOT trying to bash the support agents, even though I would have dealt with the call very differently in their place, as they can only relay the information they are provided (clearly incomplete and most likely incorrect in this case).