N00bs guide to ST & GD00Z (Garage Door Controller)

Why not buy a separate proximity sensor and keep it in the car only. That would remove the phone from the equation.

I haven’t tried it but if you have enough repeater signal to the road, it should work right? I know one problem might be the ST hub only checks every 2mins for proximity sensor. Anyone try this?

1 Like

Good idea, I may do that in the future. For now, I’ve just made it part of my routine to remove my phone as a presence sensor inside the app at the same time that I start my running app. Then after my run, I stop the running app, and add my phone back into the garage door app.

Are you saying create a routine based on time of day and have it temporarily remove my phone as a presence sensor? Is that possible?

Yes, you can have a routine started by time.

Yes, I understand that part. What I don’t understand is how to make that routine remove my phone as a presence sensor, and then add it back in at a later time.

It is the other way. In your garage door smart app with your jogging routine unchecked under the set for specific modes on the bottom. So it would not work when the jogging routine is active.

1 Like

Oh, OK, I get it. Yeah, that works. Thanks man!

Is there a way top open the garage door part way with this? (Ex. “Alexa, open the garage door to 25%”.) I haven’t tried yet as I thought about this on my way to work this morning, but I’m doubtful this is an option right now. But maybe in the future? I understand this is just a switch, but there has to be some way to monitor how long it takes to open/close the door to achieve such a thing. …then again, maybe not. But it would be awesome!

Also, can we change the “beep,beep,beep,beep,beep” to something cooler? Like “Please stand back/Caution/Move mother#cker, garage door is opening/closing”.

No the GD00Z actually has a safety feature which ignores sending another signal to allow the door to fully open and close. For example I have a camera on my garage so I could technically just select open then select close while it is opening to stop it like you would with a remote or physical button. But this will not work because the GD00Z will ignore the requests coming in for I beleive 60 seconds (it is documented in the manual).

Once again that would be a no. This is not a feature of the GD00Z.

what if we were to break into the unit, disable the siren and hook up an external speaker to it? Or just hook up an external speaker and keep the original siren… I guess all that could be accomplished by creating a scene or using a piston. I’ll have to look into how you create a message like that to be played.

Sure, feel free to hack away. But I wouldn’t call that a feature of the device :slight_smile:

Putting this here, because I didn’t want to start a new thread.

We’ve used a gd00Z for the past year and a half, to great success. However, we replaced our garage door as it was starting to split. I was away for work and my husband didn’t think to take off the integrated tilt sensor before the contractors replaced the door. I should have reminded him but didn’t think about it either!

I think we have to replace the entire thing, yes? I can’t find anywhere to buy equivalent tilt sensors (we have the iris version of the gd00Z, if it matters).

I was going to buy a standalone tilt but if I’m understanding the conversations earlier in this thread, those people using the econolink sensor are using it in tandem with the included gd00z tilt sensor, rather than instead of it.

Any other options I’m not thinking of?

Cheers~

HI, I am looking for a solution. The wife said “Hey I think it’s great that the garage will open when I get home…but what if I am just driving by? I don’t want the garage to open” We have a main street 2 houses away that we drive down. I know using a presence sensor would detect when she’s inside the geofence but I can’t think of another “event” to use. I could use a motion sensor, but if she drives by and there’s a solicitor on the porch, the garage would open for them. I could use some sort of contact sensor, but I am not sure what since she would have to already be in the garage for it to work(door into house).

What are others who use this DTH doing to mitigate the what if’s and determine it’s actually you or your spouse in the driveway?

I would recommend asking the manufacturer if there is a way to replace just the tilt sensor. I’m sure you aren’t the first person to need a new sensor for the same controller. People move, replace doors, etc and probably forget about that little sensor all the time. Hopefully the company has a way to replace it without replacing the entire controller.

On the other hand, it should be possible to use the controller just to open/close the door, and a different tilt sensor to know the status. Might require a custom device handler and/or smartapp though.

I have a similar issue with my house being very close to my daughter’s school. Some days I pick her up and we go get dinner or something before coming home, and I don’t want the garage door to open when I get to the school. For me, the first option is using your phones as presence sensors and then setting your geofence really close so it doesn’t include the main street. This may not be reliable though because by the time you are inside the geofence and SmartThings detects it, you may already be in the driveway. You could also look into using something that triggers the door to open when your phone connects to the home wifi (assuming your wifi doesn’t reach the main street). I’ve seen others mention the Life360 app and something about home beacons that you may want to look into.

Thanks, I have the Life360, which is more reliable so far. ST still thinks my wife is at home even though she left, 360 knows she’s away.

I was trying to push my code to Github, and I guess I don’t have the permission to do it. In case anyone is looking for sending more than one text messages, let me know. I’ll write up something soon.

Anyone had to replace their door sensor for the controller? I’ve called Linear and they would not even sell me one. They referred me to a local security company that i’m guessing installs these for companies, but they wouldn’t even talk to me because i was a residential user. I do not want to have to replace the whole thing just because my door sensor broke!

Has anyone been able to track down the cause as to why after a month/ few months etc., Alexa stops responding to the “open/ close” the garage door statements (on the linear garage door opener)?

Mine worked fine for months and then started doing that today?

Anyone have any suggestions?