My Somfy-SmartThings Integration

I used the generic device that the system automatically chose, I only installed the Shade/blinds dth

Really
 someone should start a new thread with all the correct steps or update the first post.

I set up my shades 6 months ago then updated to @E_Sch device type. I do remember first connection was weird, I timed out on the ZRTSII a few times, it seemed really quick.

I still am unable to connect. Also, at the same time, i’m unable to reset my ZRTSII device. I’m getting a “zwave reset fail” error on the lcd of the plug in ZRTSII device
frustrated

Possibly a bad device?

OMG I just talked to the Somfy rep and it seems that you are supposed to ‘hold down’ the center button on the ZRTSII unit when doing the include and it will show the success screen once ST finds it! Ridiculous. The whole time I was just pushing the button and letting go. The manual sucks as it just says to ‘press’ it never says hold down. I will try it when I get home
the same problem was happening when I was trying the master reset.

They need to update their manual.

1 Like

Ok, just another update, spoke to another representative and he said the hold down was NOT NECESSARY it should just be a single press. Uggh wish Somfy reps were on the same page. What I was told that even though smartthings is finding the RTS module, the module is not receiving messages back from the ST HUB. He told me to literally place it right next to the unit. Even though it’s currently 5 feet away, it’s in a cabinet which may be causing problems will try again tonight.

The good news is once it works it seems to work. I believe the window for ZRTSII to get synced is too short, that is why you place it closer to the unit.

Is the ZRTSII in a cabinet? You don’t want anything to interfere with the radio waves. Its big unit, so I placed it on top of my kitchen cabinets, with an extension cord running up a window sill (which is also the power for the shade). The 1 unit covers my 3 story house with shades everywhere.

OK, the problem was not the ‘short press’ as opposed to the press and hold, it was in fact that it was in the cabinet. Once I literally placed right next to the ST HUB it worked. Thanks for the help everyone.

2 Likes

I got everything connected, the virtual nodes and RTS programmed, and now it’s working like a dream!

However, one thing I need help with is for some reason my blind devices are not showing in the Alexa app even after a refresh of the device list. Any clue as to why this is? Does Echo have a max to their device list
i currently have like 45 things listed

They should show up as dimmer switched. Have you added them to Alexa from inside ST smartapp?

yeah i did
i had to resynch like three times and they finally showed up for some reason
thanks everyone

Weird, hopefully your issues are behind you. Probably a cloud to cloud sync issue.

With Alexa she used to take the command “Open Blinds 50%” and “Close Blinds” but she doesn’t like it anymore. Found “Turn on Blinds 50%” opens to the preset, and “Turn off Blinds” always works well. “Blinds” is the name you named it.

So I have my shades working. I have a verbal command “Alexa open bedroom shades”
 (or close)
 Here is the interesting part
the verbal " Close" command works 99% of the time. The “Open” command always has to be said twice
Echo seems to ignore the first time either of us say it
but repeat it and the shades open
that has been 100% of the time
weird
 Any ideas as to why?

Latest device handler is here.

Functionally it is the same, it provides better interim notification when openning and closing

https://github.com/imnotbob/SmartThings-1/blob/Develop/somfy_shades.groovy

1 Like

Awesome - this code works great. The only question I have is what commands do I need to tell Alexa to open / close fully? Right now, she always closes the shades to the “My” preset (60%) and after I hit “Close” on the ST apps and then ask Alexa to open, she goes again to the “My” preset setting. Any thoughts?

Again - thanks!

Just map the states you want to momentary button virtual switches and have Alexa Turn them on. I use “Alexa, turn lift blinds on” (where lift blinds is my virtual switch mapped).

IGNORE : I fixed it. I neglected to set the shadeType preference on the Device to Shade. It all works now! Thanks

So - I have the code above working; however, it seems that the ST apps (or the code) are mixing up my “Close” and “Preset / Stop”. IE When I hit “Close”, it lowers the shades to the “MY” preset I configured on the actual Somfy Shade. When I “Preset / Stop”, it lowers the shades all the way.

Any thoughts / ideas? This explains why Alexa is defaulting to the preset as well.

THANKS AGAIN! This is my first custom Device Handler so I’m just learning it and going through the code.

Hi @E_Sch, I noticed when I attempt to call the Blinds through a routine called Tilt Blinds where I put the switch on at 50% (which is basically slats open/my preset), it ends up going from Window Shade is partially open to Level is 100 and then Window Shade is Open and status shows Up. When I use the button in the device type, it works fine and says PRESET. Any idea why? I modifed the code a little to accomodate Alexa to Closed Blinds setLevel to equal 100 and not zero. The reason for this is if you issue Alexa a command “Open Blinds”, it will set the switch On and at the last set level. If that set level is 0 since you closed it last, it won’t work properly. It needed to be 100.
Here are my IDE logs and screenshot:

1c1c669f-a23c-4995-b3a4-7790b8c07e6b 5:42:49 PM: debug zwaveEvent( BasicReport(value: 0) ) returned
1c1c669f-a23c-4995-b3a4-7790b8c07e6b 5:42:49 PM: debug Reported state is tilted open; device is off 50
1c1c669f-a23c-4995-b3a4-7790b8c07e6b 5:42:49 PM: trace Basic report cmd.value: 0
1c1c669f-a23c-4995-b3a4-7790b8c07e6b 5:42:49 PM: debug Parsed zw device: 1F, command: 2003, payload: 00 to BasicReport(value: 0)
1c1c669f-a23c-4995-b3a4-7790b8c07e6b 5:42:44 PM: debug level.inspect 50
1c1c669f-a23c-4995-b3a4-7790b8c07e6b 5:42:44 PM: trace setLevel(level) {50}
1c1c669f-a23c-4995-b3a4-7790b8c07e6b 5:42:44 PM: debug level.inspect 100
1c1c669f-a23c-4995-b3a4-7790b8c07e6b 5:42:44 PM: trace setLevel(level) {100}
1c1c669f-a23c-4995-b3a4-7790b8c07e6b 5:42:44 PM: trace on() treated as open()

It appears whatever is calling this is calling on(), then setlevel to 50% as the commands.

I don’t know if this is normal in dimmers that folks turn it fully on then reset the level to the desired
but that is what I see in your logs.

So you want to investigate whoever is doing the calls.

At one level this “makes sense” in that it would ensure a light comes on, then sets to the requested level. In the case of a a shade, it likely would be best if whoever is calling things, uses window shade capability to just say what they want, rather than a series of commands.

Here is the routine. Any suggestions for how to tilt?