SmartThings Community

My Somfy-SmartThings Integration

Am I correct in thinking the ZRTSI is a one way communication from the ZRTSI to the somfy blinds motor? I.e. there is no such thing as a command to query the current status of the blinds?

I ask as I too have experienced the issue of using the remote control to control the blinds and smartthings being out of whack.

You are correct. My solution was to not use the physical remote and use Alexa or ST. Works great.

interesting. I did just have a thought and will try it out tonight.
The scenario I care about is that when there is no longer a presence in the house lower the blinds.
This is not currently possible as smartthings thinks the blinds are down if I have raised them with the remote.

However surely I can just modify the device driver to always send an up or down command regardless of the ‘state’ within smartthings and also always have the smartthings ‘state’ as up.

this should solve my issue and allow me to continue to use the remote.

Hey guys - this custom device handler is working great. However, I noticed that Alexa no longer recognizes the commands “open” or “close”. She used to and for several months, I had no issues but recently, she’s reverted back to only recognizing “on” and “off”.

Any thoughts? It works perfectly from ST as “Open” / “Close” / “Preset”. Any ideas?

THANKS in advance

This has been an issue on the ALEXA side. I have this noted twice with a garage door opener - I have reported to AMAZON, smart house evangelist. They are aware of the issue, the work around for now is to put the device (even if it is only one device) as a “GROUP” and command. They are working on the issue. It is a classification command that seems to get wonky.

1 Like

Use IFTTT or Ask Alexa app

1 Like

Ask Alexa is the way to go. Much more natural speaking once you set it up. It is a little complicated (many different Alexa services) but is worth it.

I have a few voice macros for my shades. Now I can say:

Alexa, tell Smartthings to open shades halfway.
Alexa, tell Smartthings to open shades fully.
Alexa, tell Smartthings to close shades.

Downside is you need to set up every command for every set of windows, but I just sync all my shades in the living room so its not too bad.

I think both have pros and cons. Setting up Ask Alexa can be tedious and it requires more words which leaves more room for error. Me personally, I would always forget what phrases I had programmed. With IFTTT, it’s Alexa trigger open blinds. Easy to setup and day, albeit not as naturally say.

Thx for this integration. Working nicely here.

1 Like

@E_Sch and @Mbhforum, could you guys help a newbie, please! =)

Whats the difference between the Somfy zRTSII Device Controller Device Type and the Somfy zWave Blinds Device Type.
Do I need to have the two published in my device handlers page?
Do I need a specific app to control the shades?

And @Mbhforum, I see you managed to implement Tilt for you shades along with up and down movement. Is that correct? Could you share the code for that?

I’m going to USA and I pretend to buy the ZRTSI 2 (I already have somfy motorized shades and the smartthings hub). But I’d like to understand the whole process before commiting to the purchase.

1 Like

Which model hub do you have? You probably already know this, but just to be sure, UK version of the smartthings hub and the US version of the smartthings hub use different Z wave frequencies, and cannot be changed after manufacture. So you have to make sure that any Z wave devices that you buy match the frequency of your hub exactly.

I have US version of everything. I live in brazil.

1 Like

I realize this thread is a little dated and can get confusing.

The Controller (which is the ZWave RTSII unit), I still use this device type - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fqo3ER9cheaAzsFhCEa5o0UbE6wmJuwcc3wP0RF4FeA/edit#heading=h.913gfvl13th6

For the blinds or shades, I use @E_Sch’s device handler. That is located here: https://github.com/imnotbob/SmartThings-1/blob/Develop/somfy_shades.groovy

Get that working and then we can walk you through using these via Alexa, SmartTiles, etc.

Let me see I got it correct:
They device type from chris wood is to control the shades with Somfy motor THROUGH the ZRFSI.
And the device handler from E_Sch is control directly shades, like Graber Virtual Cords or Bali Autoview, that have z-wave built-in.

So in my case, that I have already somfy r28 rfs on my shades, I should buy ZRFSI and use only the first link, right?

And talking about chris wood code, why does it have two parts?
Should I input them separately?

Thanks for the help!

The controller from chris wood is the device type for the actual RTSII hardware. This hardware converts Somfy’s RTS wireless technology to zWave technology. Just use the top device type titled “Smartthings Custom Device Type for Somfy Controller”.

When setting up your blinds/shade from this unit, you create the virtual shades which are channels. These channels will use @E_Sch’s device type.

Oh! Now I see!
One last thing… about chris wood code.
I get 4 errors when adding it to device handler.

> org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed:
> script14780035006321615463035.groovy: 42: Repetitive method name/signature for method 'java.lang.Object parse(java.lang.String)' in class 'script14780035006321615463035'.
> @ line 42, column 1.
> def parse(String description) {
> ^

> script14780035006321615463035.groovy: 64: Repetitive method name/signature for method 'java.lang.Object zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.Command)' in class 'script14780035006321615463035'.
> @ line 64, column 1.
> def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.Command cmd) {
> ^

> script14780035006321615463035.groovy: 126: Repetitive method name/signature for method 'java.lang.Object parse(java.lang.String)' in class 'script14780035006321615463035'.
> @ line 126, column 1.
> def parse(String description) {
> ^

> script14780035006321615463035.groovy: 148: Repetitive method name/signature for method 'java.lang.Object zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.Command)' in class 'script14780035006321615463035'.
> @ line 148, column 1.
> def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.Command cmd) {
> ^

This is the code I am using which compiles fine.

/**

• Somfy Blinds Controller
  • Copyright 2014 Chris Wood
  • Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”); you may not use this file except
  • in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
  •  http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

• Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
  • on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
  • for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.

*/
metadata {
definition (name: “Somfy ZRTSI Controller”, namespace: “chriswood1001”, author: “Chris Wood”) {
fingerprint deviceId: “0x0200”, inClusters: “0x86, 0x72”
}

simulator {

}

tiles {
standardTile(“state”, “device.state”, width: 2, height: 2) {
state ‘connected’, icon: “st.unknown.zwave.static-controller”, backgroundColor:"#ffffff",
canChangeBackground: true}

main "state"
  details(["state"])

}
}

def parse(String description) {
def result = null
if (description.startsWith(“Err”)) {
result = createEvent(descriptionText:description, displayed:true)
} else {
def cmd = zwave.parse(description)
if (cmd) {
result = createEvent(zwaveEvent(cmd))
}
}
return result
}

def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.securityv1.SecurityMessageEncapsulation cmd) {
def event = [displayed: true]
event.linkText = device.label ?: device.name
event.descriptionText = "$event.linkText: ${cmd.encapsulatedCommand()} [secure]"
event
}

def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.Command cmd) {
def event = [displayed: true]
event.linkText = device.label ?: device.name
event.descriptionText = "$event.linkText: $cmd"
event
}

2 Likes

Yours did work.
Weird… but thanks again!

1 Like

First, thanks for all the hard work on these device types. This is great to get more control and integration with my blinds. I have installed the latest published device types for the controller and blinds through the dev console as instructed in this thread.

I currently have the original ZRTSI controller. http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/product_info.php?products_id=4810

It seems to have integrated with Smartthings successfully and I can control devices through the Smartthings interface. I have 5 tilt blinds and 3 roller shades integrated with it. I am getting some behavior that may be a little different than others using the newer hardware.

Here’s what I’m seeing:

Roller Blinds
Open Button - Opens the blinds as expected
Close Button - Seems to serve are the “My/Stop” command
Preset/Stop - Closing Blind

Roller Blind comments - Seems like I just need to make some adjustments in the code to flip flip the controls for the roller shades and that should correct the issue. Thoughts?

Tilt Blinds:
Open - Tilts Blinds up a little bit then stops
Close - Tilts Blind to “My” position
Preset/Stop - Tilts Blinds down a little bit then stops

Tilt Blind Comments - Having the ability to tilt the blinds a little is actually a useful feature in some instances. The current behavior seems to be copying the long press up or down on the Somfy remote vs. the quick press on the Somfy remote that causes the blinds to tilt all the way up or down Make sense?

Is there any configuration in the code to control how long the command is sent to the ZRTSI? If so, could I modify it to send the signal for a shorter time to see if it causes the blinds to tilt all the way up or down?

Thanks for your help in troubleshooting this…maybe the best solution is to purchase the latest ZRTSI hardware to match the rest of the community, but I thought I’d ask the group before doing that.

If you are using the dth I created/modified, you may want to go to settings in the dth, and change the roller to “blinds” to see if that helps with the controls.

I don’t understand the partial open/close, you may want to be sure the system is programmed / setup correctly. It seems strange that if your remote you do not get full open, full close.