My journey to Home Assistant

I guess I should define this…easy isn’t always easy, but everything I have read is that the developers of HA are now part of the Matter working group. I have read this will help prep the platform for the release. It is my understanding that adding Matter will be a simple matter (pun) of adding a USB stick and the system will be Matter ready. When I say easy, I simply mean I don’t have to code it myself :wink:

“matter ready” and “works with matter” are two different things. Because it looks like most battery powered matter devices will use Thread instead of Bluetooth or Zigbee, you have to add a thread radio, which is what the USB stick is for. But that just allows you to physically send messages. You still need all the software to format the messages for those communications. And it’s not yet clear to me how home assistant is going to handle that, although I guess that’s what the session on the 15th is for. :sunglasses:

1 Like

The way it will work in HA @JDRoberts is HA itself won’t have to make any change to ‘support matter’ They (the grand abstract they) will create an ‘integration’ that manages Thread / Matter, and that integration will be responsible for reporting to HA in the same way that one of the ZWave or Zigbee or ESP32 integrations do. I have no doubt it will go from vapor ware (now) to fully baked within 9 months. They basically did that with the ZwaveJS integration that replaced OpenZwave (OZW) and the native ZWave integration. Unplug the old module (because the dev who was supporting it no longer was) and plug in the new integration.

Someone will make a Matter integration that uses a thread radio on a USB stick or one of the Zigbee integrations will pick up support for thread / Matter (or more likely, both, and the end user will have to choose which works best for them)

2 Likes

It may have been missed in my last post, but is anyone interested in my v2 Hub? Time to re-home it :frowning:

1 Like

You can list it in the following thread

Community member FS/WTB/WTT Thread

1 Like