My Iris to Smartthings migration experience

You haven’t seen my other threads on this issue.

I am aware of the drawback. I have Decora style switches. I use clear packing tape and as smoothly as possible, tape them locked into the on position. This keeps people from accidentally turning them off and thus disabling it from the Zigbee mesh.

The bulbs actually are chosen as part of the mesh.

I am going with ZWave switches for the fixtures where there are a good number of bulbs like the dining room chandalier, or where smart bulbs just won’t work like my shop light fixtures…

It should be noted, I have also come up with a naming convention. Room, fixture, function, for naming.

So for example, in SmartThings the porch lights are Front Porch Light 1 and Front Porch Light 2. In Alexa they are grouped into the Front Porch Light group. Same with Front Hall, Front Room Fan, Front Room Closet, Laundry Light 1 and 2 into Laundry Light etc…

I have labels on the switch plates as a visual reminder for visitors.

So Alexa, turn on the Front Room Fan Light etc…

If I had toggle switches instead of Decora style, I most likely would have opted fully to go with switches instead of bulbs.

I am trying to do what I can to avoid getting into the walls. and wires.

It’s an intentional choice, based on intended use, cosmetics, and in no small part, budget.

1 Like