My Home Automation Addiction

(Andrew) #174

@JDRoberts: Thanks so much for that post. (See? Reporters are marginally competent. We rely on smart people like you.) I think I’m very much interested in speaking with the typical customer as well as folks like you, @bamarayne. I’m just so fascinated with what all those 185 (and counting) devices do. Although, I’m pretty sure I now want a Wemo switch in every room of my house.

At the risk of enabling the people who have been contributing to the discussion in this thread, the “impress your friends” quick browse list in the community – created wiki (in the project reports section near the end of the page) has a lot of very cool ideas:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

(Andrew) #176

So, about these 185 connected devices and counting—is that something you’re up for chatting about, Jason? (Just ordered two more Wemo switches. n00b status still, but I am seeing The Light.)

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #177

Yeah, I love talking about home automation

(Andrew) #178

Cool! Mind sending me a message? https://www.andrewzaleski.com/contact/

(Joel W) #179

My biggest problem, is I think I have everything I need, then I obsess on what else I can do. Then once I have an idea, I am like a hungry scavenger, I can’t stop until it is done. Yesterday i purchased a Eufy Genie, for the garage. Just so i can open and close the garage doors when my arms are full. So I said OK that is great, but what about the interior door. So now I am looking for an industrial magnetic door latching system, that when I open I tell Alexa unlock the interior door the magnet will release and the door will open just a pinch by a spring so I can open it. I have used them in office buildings to unlock fire stairs in an emergency, and to lock doors in an lock down. Problem is the cost of these, with their power supply. Below is a picture of the Eufy with my other controls.

If you were just talking about an electronic door strike, quite a few community members have used those, they don’t have to be expensive.

If you want a door which will actually open, not just unlock, then there are systems made for people in wheelchairs which again are not that expensive, The trick is integrating them with smartthings, but that can also be done.

Look at the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki, near the bottom of the page for the project reports section, and choose the “accessible” list for those discussion threads.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

(Joel W) #181

No, not a door strike, these a huge electro magnets, with heavy metal plate that goes on the door exterior. When electric is applied they energize and hold a door that has no latch closed. There is a small spring between the door jamb and the door. when the power is removed the door springs open just an inch. but when power is reapplied it pulls the door shut. You can have a latch, so when power is off the door will stay closed, but a slight nudge will open it. That is my plan, to use the slight nudge. In different states they are used for different purposes, fire control, security etc. A shame on my last job before I retired I removed over 200, and they went in the trash. If I would have known I would have asked permission and filled out the paper work to take one.

Here is an example with out the opener and auto lock. https://www.alliedelec.com/rs-pro-7748235/70824431/?mkwid=sFnafh5HX&pcrid=30980760979&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8a2KtMKy2gIVj0oNCh0V9AnCEAQYASABEgJoE_D_BwE

(Dan P Parker) #182

That cabling is FAR too neat and organized. A real techie nerd would have created a rat’s nest in which it is utterly impossible to tell which wires go to what.

(Joel W) #183

Dan, I take that as a complement. After doing this for 32 years, I had better be neat.

“Techie nerd” does not equal “engineer.” Or “electrician.” Just sayin’… :wink:

(MacTechGenius) #185

Can you share some pics of the project? Sounds interesting.

(Joel W) #186

As soon as I find a unit that will fit a non commercial door jamb. That is going to be the problem.

(Andrew) #187

Hey Jason! Just wanted to swing back here. Want to send me a message off-forum? I can explain a little more what I’m interested in.

(Glen King) #188

I think I’m done. The only automation left to improve upon is the yard irrigation, and that does not need to connect to the other automations.

Maybe in the future I’ll get a lawn robot. But. Not soon.

(Ron Talley) #189

Had this for a couple of years…Yours for $50…:innocent:

(Glen King) #190

I got one for $50, brand new.

What has you not using it?

(Ron Talley) #191

Keep saying I’m going to get the yard in order…Bought it because of this forum and I thought hey great deal!

For those that want to read the article written by Andrew Zaleski:

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #193

@ajzaleski Nicely done!