My First Automation -- Didn't work as planned

So support sent me a message saying that I need to remove and re-add the “sunset/sunrise smart app”. But I don’t have that app. I don’t even see that app listed when I go to “smart apps” in my ST app.

Issue with sunset/sunrise time not changing is easy to fix. Log in to IDE, and go to your Home location and find Installed SmartApps and click on List SmartApps. Now find app Weather Station (dev ) and be sure that is running. If it’s paused click on play arrow. That’s it.

Also if you click on that app, you’ll see entire history

1 Like

milandjurovic71, thanks. I don’t have Weather Station at all listed in my current smart apps. I also don’t see a way to add it. If I go to Smart Apps and click on “Add one now”, I don’t see Weather Station listed.

Try to add AccuWeather app. That should add Weather Station

Wink handled the subscription program very poorly. I’m not entirely adverse to paying for a service that I value. However, their reliability over the preceding months was terrible. The system was down for my than 24 hours several times. I have little confidence that more cash would solve their technical problems.

See the first post here for instructions on how to add the weather station

I have no idea why I read this entire thread…I also have no idea why the OP’s automation was not working from the start.

I also have nothing to add. :man_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

I’m really starting to get frustrated. I followed the instructions above and I managed to get the Weather Station device installed. It shows all correct information, including the correct sunrise and sunset times. Yet when I log into IDE and look at my location, it still shows an incorrect (by 7 minutes) sunrise & sunset time. Why does ST make this so difficult? Why can’t I just set my lights to turn on at sunset and they turn on every day at sunset?

Here’s the answer I got from ST Support:

[Quote]SmartThings Support.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I’m sorry for the trouble! Once you get the source code, please remove and re-add the sunset/sunrise smart app. In the meantime, I would also recommend you install the new SmartThings app and create a custom automation to trigger a device at Sunset/sunrise.
[/Quote]

Problem is that I don’t have that app. I don’t know how to find that app or how to install that app. Did something go wrong when I first got my hub and created my account? Was I supposed to have this stuff or does everyone start with a blank sheet of paper and we have to add everything we need to make things work?

Did you look immediately after installing the Weather Station? It might be worth waiting until a little after sunset for the times to be updated.

That said I’m not sure where the location got its sunrise and sunset times from if not via Weather Station, unless it has been updated to use the same source as that used by Automations in the new app (whatever that might be).

I don’t know if this applies or not, but it used to be that sunset times were only updated once a day, so if you added smartapps or made changes you had to wait until the next day before the sunset time was loaded into the hub.

I just checked again a minute ago…still has sunset time being stuck on 8:13pm. I’m also not sure where it got the sunrise/sunset times from since I didn’t have Weather Station or any other app installed that I know of that provides that data. I did enter my address and zip code, so maybe it grabbed the sunrise/sunset time from my location and it just doesn’t update it as time passes.

Thanks. I’ll have to keep an eye on that. Maybe it will change tomorrow.

1 Like

Can anyone comment on the “sunrise/sunset” smart app that Customer Support mentioned to me? I’ll copy and past their email again here:

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I’m sorry for the trouble! Once you get the source code, please remove and re-add the sunset/sunrise smart app. In the meantime, I would also recommend you install the new SmartThings app and create a custom automation to trigger a device at Sunset/sunrise.

I haven’t seen or heard reports of sunrise/sunset failing to properly schedule but many users have sunrise/sunset automations through Smart Lighting which does use the Weather Station SmartApp. Have you tried adding the automation via Smart Lighting?

WhiteShadow: Just an FYI. I setup an automation that turns on my aquarium and pond pumps 30 minutes after sunrise. This is working correctly without the use of any SmartApps.

I have not tried that yet. I just created my own automation to control the lights. I can try using Smart Lighting, but for now I’d rather see if I can figure out how to get it working with a regular automation.

SmartLighting is a stock tried and true engine. I am a heavy user and I try to use SmartLighting for everything I can to keep things simple. I am NOT a fan of the rule engine built into the “New” App. I use SmartLighting and webCoRE for 90% of my automations which hardly ever fail.

I’m pretty sure I have over 500 rules and close to 300 devices so dependability is a big factor for me. Give SmartLighting a try and wait for the new rule engine to become more reliable.

1 Like

As mentioned above, Smart Lighting isn’t custom. You can add it from the app via the + sign, then SmartApp, and tap Smart Lighting. As an added bonus, the Smart Lighting automation may be able to execute locally which can increase speed and reliability.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information on the SmartLighting app. I just moved to ST from Wink a week ago. I’m using the “new app” and it’s standard rules engine. It is stable now but I will try the SmartLighting app of I run into any reliability issues with my current setup.