Multiple (two) hubs on one network?

@jwalker2020

The shadow virtual device is created on the hub which doesn’t have the physical device. It’s not on both locations at once. Note, however, that my note was specific to each hub having its own account, not to having two locations on one account.

If they are two different SmartThings accounts, and each has its own IFTTT account, you can use IFTTT as a “man in the middle” between them, as my post detailed.

If they are two SmartThings hubs but on the same SmartThings account, you can’t do that. At the present time, SmartThings will only allow one location access to any third party systems, such as Alexa or IFTTT. They have said they want to change that, but they haven’t yet.

I’m planning on adding a feature to my lock app called ‘Big Mirror’ (working title) that will allow you to pair switches between locations using my new API service on lock manager.

I’m using it now on my own setup and it’s working great. If I ever get enough time to develop it further, I’d love to give it to you guys too.

1 Like

Erik,
Any chance of sharing your “Big Mirror”? Is it a two way mirror?

I have moisture sensors on two hubs and one water valve. I want to be able to detect leak from both hubs and shut off the water valve.

Two hubs will work on the same network. They can both see devices.
In Graph you will have two different objects for each Z-wave device (In theory you could make Zigbee work (despite popular belief/specs… Zigbee allows for multiple hubs (I can go into this upon request)). Each Smartthing Hub can see the other hub.
Smartthings database makes this slightly more useful then the average setup. You can just add stuff via graph directly (there is a disaster control you can have). Low-level Z-wave commands can reset the network key for S0 security. S2 appears to have similar ability ( you will need a non-samsung hub to pull this off ).
None of the above is supported by Samsung (or really embraced).

Really keen to hear the follow up to this last reply.
I am trying to get a z-wave door (gate essentially) sensor to connect. This is very far from the hub in my house. There is a power connection in between where I could connect a wifi Ap acting as a client and hook up a 2nd ST hub.

You are replying to a post which is more than a year old and a lot has changed in that time.

Please see the how-to article in the community – created wiki on automating an outbuilding and it will tell you what the current options are.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Automate_an_Outbuilding

Hi JD,
Actually I did read it. However, I could not find the right solution.
The gate is far from the ST V2 hub. I plan to use the Sensitive Outdoor Strip. Z-wave right now does reach there. I tried a mains power z-wave repeater but that doesn’t seem to work.
Thanks.
Cedric

If you really must use the Sensitive Outdoor Strip, and your current hub cannot reliably see the strip, then use a second hub.
That hub?
It will need to be on a different Z-wave network, and you will need to find a way to bridge that hub to your current hub.
If you require local, aka your network, then you will need to have the second hub push the information into your first hub.
If you don’t care if the data needs to go out to the Internet in order to work? You can use IFTTT or Alexa to trigger whatever you want to be triggered.
A second Z-wave hub on the same z-wave network is not going to buy you any additional range.(*)
I had very poor luck with Sensitive Strips FWIW.
*) Now if you have three hubs and two of them supports creating virtual nodes? Then you can do some crazy stuff by bridging the z-wave networks :slight_smile: Which is totally unsupported and probably very unreliable. I only mention this because it is kinda cool and something Zigbee cannot do. I am sure Smartthings will not support it ( though it does work… )

JD, I’ve had a ST network running great for several months ( with your help — thank you). Over the weekend I added a second ST hub as a second Location to reach some a Schlage ZWave locks in an outbuilding. Everything paired fine and was working, but now both hubs have started going “offline” at different times, even the original hub which has never gone offline. Both are on same WiFi, which is extended to the outbuilding with ubiquiti mesh network. Any thoughts on why hubs might be going “offline”? Many thanks.

Hi JD, read your wiki. We are on 4 acres and run 3 smartthings wifi hubs (only option in Australia), 1 in the main building which also has a hue hub, 2nd connected via 80m of cable in a large workshop and the 3 is connected via a unifi wireless bridge to a building 350m away, this building also has a hue hub.

We run 1 SM account, 1 location and 1 webcore account. Most devices are zigbee and only connect to one hub, and our zigbee range exteriors only comunitate back to there paired hub of course.

We tried placing SM hubs within there own wifi network range, but while they could communicate and extended wifi, zigbee wasn’t relayed via the hubs. My guest was that the hubs were out of zigbee network range.

Thats what I am setting up this week.

I have a detached garage that is just too far for Zwave or zigbee to reach reliably. I have tried extending out to it, but it is simply too far.

But… I have cat 5 out to the garage, and a layer 2 switch, and heck even a wifi AP out there, so I’m just going to put smartthings hub in as well.

The hub will be at my house location, and as far as I can tell I will be able to write automations that include devices from both hubs, although that is yet to be tested.

In the current Smartthings App, at the 1st question you’ll want to create a new network and at the second question, join your existing location.

I think the next question is about rooms and just choose whatever suits you.

Once set-up, both Smartthings apps and IDE will list all your devices under the one location. So from within the app you can automate a sensor from one hub, to turn a switch on in the other hub. But I just us Webcore.

I have the same problem, was it as simple as having another hub in the garage? Did that work out?

Right now I have two hubs on one network, and am adding a third hub this morning. These are in separate buildings on our property which is too large for one hub to provide reliable device connectivity.

The two hubs work perfectly. I even have rules that use data from more than one hub. One good example of a rule like this is the fire alarm. If any smoke/CO detector regardless of the hub alerts it activates the sirens, and sends a notification.