Multiple (two) hubs on one network?

The issue with Wi-Fi is that you can’t usually find them for battery operated devices because Wi-Fi is a power suck compared to zwave or Zigbee

Mains powered Wifi sensors–but many are in the $150 range

DLink and WeMo both make plug in WiFi motion sensors that have IFTTT, so you can get decent ST integration that way. And they tend to be under $40.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCH-S150-mydlink-Motion-Sensor/dp/B00KZHP102

Monnit makes mains-powered wi-Fi contact sensors, but they can run as much as $200 each. They’re usually used for industrial uses. And there’s no good way to integrate them with SmartThings.

Connectsense has a line which has been popular with RV owners. They usually run on mains but can also run on batteries, although they will go through the batteries fairly quickly. Their " security sensor" is an open/close sensor. They also have a wifi motion sensor, leak sensor, light sensor dry contact device, and siren. But they run about $150 each, and like Monnit they don’t Integrate easily with smart things.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ISKS8EY/

https://www.connectsense.com/wireless-sensors

(Note the ConnectSense also makes some HomeKit compatible Wi-Fi devices.)

Another option for a wifi-based outbuilding is to use a Harmony Hub and/or a Phillips hue bridge. This can be a good way to get coordination with a SmartThings hub in the main building.

So if you want a totally Wi-Fi set up for an outbuilding, and you don’t need it to integrate with SmartThings, you can have one, but it’s going to be expensive if you want any sensors other than plug in motion sensors.

CHEAPER NON WIFI ALTERNATIVES WITH LONG RANGE THAT DO INTEGRATE WITH ST

1. Kumostat: good ST integration, fairly easy setup, $59 bridge + $39 sensors, amazingly long range

If you’re looking for a long-range battery operated contact sensor with pretty easy set up , I’d recommend Kumostat. These are really nicely engineered, and they have a longer range even then Wi-Fi. There’s a good community created smartthings integration with them as well, or you can just use their IFTTT channel. You do have to buy their bridge as well, and since the sensors cost about the same as Z wave or zigbee sensors that ends up being a little more expensive. But I don’t think you can beat the range unless you go to zigbee commercial range which is a much more complex set up.

2. Zigbee Pro repeaters + regular ST zigbee sensors: complex technical set up, requires two pro repeaters, long range, use your regular zigbee sensors

First, zigbee as I’ve mentioned, allows for a lot more hops than Z wave, which gives you more flexibility in planning the layout. And it travels through rain better than Z wave.

In this set up, you use the same zigbee devices you would normally inside the buildings. But you use two pro repeaters with attached antennas to get the signal from one building to another.

But you’ll see from that thread that the technical set up can be a major project.

So speaking just for myself, I would probably go with the Kumostat sensors first, since there is a working SmartThings integration and the set up is easier.

1 Like