Multiple Tiles on the main screen (of one location..) for a SINGLE multi-sensor?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #1

I think this is a feature enhancement request, unless I am just not finding a way to do it in the current UI release:

Currently the tiles on the location overview screen can only show one “view” of each sensor-Thing even if it is a Multi-Sensor-Thing.

You can choose to display "Open/Closed"   <strong>OR  </strong> "Motion (Active/Inactive)"   <strong>OR    </strong>"Temperature" (ummm... but not orientation BTW...).

Anyhow… since a Multi-Sensor-Thing is really 5 “virtual-Things” (contact, motion, vibration, orientation, and temperature), can the UI be enhanced, please to allow the creation of any number of tiles for the same “Thing” – or at least one tile for each possible function of a Thing?

Perhaps the model should have a “master tile” for the thing, but then allow as many “shortcut-tiles” as desired, and each shortcut can have a selectable front-page view.

Please discuss and/or email me with questions or screen shots, mockups, etc.

Thanks,

…CP.

(Freetobelee) #2

this sounds like it could get messy really quickly with a lot of things!

I find that the home page tiles don’t often display the defined input (open/closed, active/incactive, etc.) properly anyway. hopefully a known bug :stuck_out_tongue:

(Smart Things) #3

I think this is something that will happen. Just need to get it in there with some time :slight_smile:

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #4

Thanks!

(Solardave1) #5

Same issue with the aeon sensor. I would love to see motion status AND temp on 2 tiles but the app limits me to select one parameter to appear on one tile so yup, add my vote for figuring this one out.

(Cory S) #6

Or one tile that can show two functions.

(Solardave1) #7

I think this is something that will happen. Just need to get it in there with some time
Seems to be the answer to almost every issue or suggestion. I’m really getting close to putting it all in a box and taking it back out “someday”. This is supposed to be fun.

Another user has already done that which is the last thing I would want my early adopters/users to do if I were ST.

(Ed Rock) #8

I too would like to see the UI have this feature. If getting 2-3 different data items to show up on the same tile is difficult, how about cycling the icon. So if NONE of the functions is set as the default display for the tile, it cycles through all of data.
IE: Open/Closed Wait Active/Inactive Wait Temp Wait

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #9

@edrock:

Good idea!

I too would like to see the UI have this feature. If getting 2-3 different data items to show up on the same tile is difficult, how about cycling the icon. So if NONE of the functions is set as the default display for the tile, it cycles through all of data. IE: Open/Closed *Wait* Active/Inactive *Wait* Temp *Wait*

As I’ve written in some other threads, I often think about writing my entire own GUI for SmartThings; it’s almost possible, but I’m afraid of getting stuck too often, and then also wasting effort on features that ST’s “steals” :slight_smile:

(Tim Slagle) #10

@tgauchat

I had this idea as well.

I had a vision of the Star Treck LCARS interface on a tablet on my wall.

Straight nerd cred… lol

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #11

@tslagle13: Love it! “We” ought to build this using the API…

…CP.