Motion sensors in the bedroom - how are you handling "tossing and turning?"

+1 on that. There’s a good TED talk on the subject.

I only use the bedroom motion to turn off lights after a set period of time. It also lets me know there is someone is the house w/o a presence sensor to keep away mode from triggering.

I have found the best way to turn ON the lights/fan from bed is an aeon minimote or something similar. My wife uses the minimote, I have an old phone mounted next to my bed running the ActION dashboard and I also have a copper RF9500 mounted on the wall when you enter.

Cooper Aspire, right? This one?

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/wiring_devices/products/lighting_controls/aspire_rf_wireless/dimmers/aspire_rf_battery_operated_switch_dimmer_rf9500.html

I really like the form factor on that. How’s the battery life? (I’m in a wheelchair, so being able to add a battery operated switch down about 18" from standard lets me work the switch much more easily.)

Yes! That one, I’ve only had them about 2-3 weeks so I can’t say much about battery. mine are still at 100%. I use it basically as a 3 button controller. Some of them I have the middle button control the light and the side control preset dim levels. Others I have the dim buttons control a completely different switch/etc. One room I use the big button for the hue on/off and the sides to cycle colors. I like them better than the minimote for areas where i want a switch that i can’t loose :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a motion sensor on my nightstand angled at the wall, so that the end of it’s view-angle just covers the doorway.
This way I only trigger the light as I approach the doorway on either side, and neither the cat nor any number of motion-intensive nocturnal activities turn on the lights. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, the lights only trigger between sun-down and sun-up. I have some bright-ass GE-Reveals in my bedroom lamps tho. I should definitely get some smart led replacements where I can control the color temperature - because they can be jarring if I get up in the middle of the night.

1 Like

just installed to delight of the kids for sure!

Is anyone still having issues? My LED world is falling down around me!

Dan

You are responding to a post which is seven years old, so a great deal has changed in that time. I suggest either looking for a more current thread or starting your own and giving more details about the specific problems you are trying to solve. :thinking: