Motion Detector + Lights on a schedule?

Hi,

I just started installing zwave products paired w/ my ST hub. I have a question about how people are setting up lights with motion detections. My house is wired funny where the main light from a ceiling fan comes from a switch that is in a corner. It must have been installed after the house was built. I figured the best way to remedy this now is to put a smart switch there and connect it to my phone so I can easily turn it on. Next idea was…maybe I should turn it on with motion detection each time a person enters the room. Here’s the problem, I don’t want the light to turn on automatically during the day. The room has a lot of natural light during the day.

How can I make the motion detector turn on lights only after 6pm?

That option is available in the official smart lighting feature.

First choose the light you want to control.

Then you select the method of control, in this case motion.

Then you select the motion sensor to be used.

Finally if you select more options you will be able to restrict it to a specific time of day. :sunglasses:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205949776-How-to-create-lighting-automations-with-Smart-Lights

1 Like

Thank you!!!

1 Like

This is exactly what I would like to do in my MIL’s room. I currently only have a Phillips hue bulb. What switch would I need in order to accomplish this in her room?

I used the program the person above suggested with a zwave light switch. I believe any zwave light switch would work. My motion sensor turns on the light switch when it senses motion between certain hours of the day. Having said that, it gets really annoying to place in a room with a lot of motion. I ended up only using this setup in my foyer so when I come home or walk towards or from my stairs, it lights up.

You do not need a switch - as the Hue bulbs are controllable without a switch - but the power to the bulb must be “on” to that bulb/light fixture in order to control it as described above by JDRoberts.

I use these bulbs both indoors and outdoors (survived - 45 degrees and have been outdoors for over a year now)- and basically put tape over the switches in the “on” position to remind us to leave the switch “on”

My MIL forgets to turn the lights off. Taping over the switch would be useless. I need to attach the light to a motion sensor for use during the day, being a manual on but automatic off, but set it up so it will remain on all night, for use as a night light. We changed out a lot of the other lights switches for simple motion sensors. But she uses the smart bulb as a nightlight at night. So a simple motion sensor won’t work. I can set up a schedule on the smart bulb so it turns to nightlight at a specific time and shuts off in the morning. But that doesn’t help with her use during the day. Her room has no window, so there is no ambient light. She needs to turn the light on every time she enters. It’s a complicated problem.

As long as you are in the US, you can do all of this with just the Hue system.

Cover the existing dumb switch with the Lutron Aurora dimmer. This is a great device, I have five of them in my own home. It’s a very intuitive physical switch for anyone who wants to use it, but it doesn’t actually cut power to the Hue bulb, so it allows you to use other automations including the motion sensor. So that takes care of any other issues with the switch

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Aurora-Dimmer-Philips-Z3-1BRL-WH-L0/dp/B07RJ14FBS

Now as far as what you want to do with the sensor, I’m a little bit confused. The Hue motion sensor allows you to have different rules for different time periods. So you can already set it up to turn on to full brightness when motion is detected during the day and to night light brightness when motion is detected late at night. Is that what you were looking for or is there more to it than that?

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hue-Motion-Installation-Free-Exclusive/dp/B01KJYSOGI/

Also, just so you know, this forum is intended for users of the Samsung smartthings ™ home automation platform. It is not a general home automation platform. So all questions and answers are assumed to be in the context of the Samsung platform.

1 Like

Yes. I’m aware. But the home automation doesn’t matter unless I have the right devices, and it is configured correctly. I can have the right software, andbthe right hub, but with the right equipment (the motion sensor) I can’t do anything with it. And without knowing how to properly configure them in the app (which this forum article explained) I’m also dead I the water. There are more pieces to the puzzle than just the app genius.