Motion Activated Lights but not triggered by rolling over in bed?

I’m currently using ‘Bright When Dark And/Or Bright After Sunset’ by Arnaud and it’s working very well for me.
Now though, I’m wondering if I can tweak it a little bit to not trigger upon rolling over in bed at night.

When I walk into the room at night, it turns on a nightlight. However, it also turns it on if I roll over while lying in bed.

I’m just not sure if the solution here would be something different about the SmartApp, or something different with motion sensor placement in the room.

Perhaps I could put the motion sensor closer to the floor so that it only notices movement at the point when I’d actually be stepping out of bed onto the floor. I could also have multiple motion sensors in different locations and configure it to only pay attention to one or another during a specified period of time. hmmm…sort of thinking out loud here.

Well, I guess I have a couple things to look into and test. If anybody has worked on this already though, would you please chime in and share what you’ve done.

Placement is probably going to be your best bet here. If you’re otherwise happy with the placement of the sensor, you could always put something small in front of it to block its vision of your bed.

1 Like

There is also the option to disable the motion when you are in the bed. That can be done in several different ways.

1 Like

I’m listening. I haven’t come up with a bullet proof way of doing this yet and am very interested to hear how others are accomplishing it.

A nice set of ropes and shackles on the bed will solve the rolling over problem. No guaranty on WAF, individual mileage may vary .

5 Likes

Well depending on how many people are in the house and their habits. Oh and not to mention, the stability of the platform. You can do it through routines/modes, or you can do it via custom apps. I have motion disable on my motion triggered lights, but…it hasn’t been working for the past week and with all of the problems I had, I didn’tget a chance to troubleshoot. If you search for a thread called automating bedroom lights, you could find the base code and there are other interesting ideas. @bravenel shared the idea and I have used his method in several personal apps.

Link to the thread mentioned above

2 Likes

This solved my problem.

…Help!..I’m tied down and can’t get out of bed! lol

1 Like

Make sure you open a ticket support@SmartThings.com

1 Like

This is what I was assuming. I guess, even if it is ‘possible’ some other way, if I stop the motion sensor from noticing the movement, it can’t turn on the light.

Interesting thing about you mentioning blocking the sensor is that I just did this exact thing with all of my ‘dumb’ motion sensing night lights in the hallway… They would all come on before when anyone walked through the hall…at any point in the hall, they would all see it and come on.
Now, they only come on when somebody actually walks near them, and it works so much better. Also, since they were all coming on way too much during daytime, I drilled a hole in the plastic housing to fully expose the partially hidden light sensor (on one of the kinds I have, the sensor was pointed out the side, and would never see the light in the room enough to know it’s not needed. So, I just bent it toward the front, and now it sticks up out of the hole I drilled on the front, and works fine).

I was hoping to not have to do that kind of thing with the ‘smart’ ones in this particular context, but I’ve already been thinking of it in relation to wall-mounted control panels (wake the screen when motion is detected very close to the mounted device so that you don’t have to actually touch it to see what’s going on). So, I guess I may just add this technique in here as well.

I will go read that thread after this post…
Off the top of my head, I don’t think I would want it based on modes or time, because I do want the light to come on if anybody gets up in the middle of the night for potty or whatever. I assume this is addressed in there somewhere, and I will get to it later today.

Thanks a lot, everyone. I’m so glad there are some good options available, and I will report back with testing and/or the solution once I get it figured out…

I wonder how a Luna mattress cover would handle this. A motion sensor on both sides of the bed under night stand might do the trick?

1 Like

I have a motion sensor on the side of the nightstand pointing towards the bed. I get up and I can swing a hand past it and it triggers, but it won’t trigger from motion on the bed or from the dog jumping up-and-down. :sunglasses::dog:

2 Likes

OMG! lol
At first, when I started looking for ‘luna mattress cover’, I found this…
http://www.lunamattress.com

Then, after browsing their site for a while and not finding anything having to do with what we’re discussing, I started to wonder if it was part of an inside joke or something, but I couldn’t find anything like that in your post or anywhere else.

So, I looked some more, and found this…

Dude! This is so cool, I almost can’t handle it lol

I just sent them a message to request SmartThings integration.
If it really is what they want it to be once it actually comes to market, I’m buying one.

Thank you very much for mentioning it. I can imagine so much good coming from something like that (i.e. sleep is so important. Wow!).

Ya, this sounds about right.
So, until I get the Luna, I think I will try to figure out better placement of the motion sensor. If moving it to one spot for one effect results in lack of visibility elsewhere, I will just add another one to the mix.

Thanks a lot, guys. You’re all amazing.

1 Like

another good idea may be a Fitbit or something that can tell if you up or not?

1 Like

Just putting a couple more thread links in here to share with anybody else that accidentally falls down the hole and finds themself in this thread…

https://community.smartthings.com/t/motion-sensors-in-the-bedroom-how-are-you-handling-tossing-and-turning

Specifically, here is a post from that thread that I will try next in my setup…the idea of pointing the motion sensors at the wall next to the doorway…

1 Like

Place the motion sensor under a piece of furniture, with a clear view of the room floor. It will pick up the motion of your feet on the floor, but not anything above. I use this now in my bedroom. You are effectively giving the sensor a slit view.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s what we’re testing now. I haven’t found the ideal location/s yet, but it seems like I will use a combination of room placement and ‘blinders’ mounted directly on the device. Thanks.

This is exactly what I do right now, there is a motion sensor under each of our nightstands which has a rule that will turn the LED strip under the bed (10%) for a minute if either sensor is tripped by us stepping out of bed ONLY when the mode is ‘Night’.

I will be adding a 3rd sensor on the ceiling for the entire room that can only turn on the lights when the mode is ‘Home’.

Works perfectly though a bit spendy as you need three motion sensors. Eventually things like the Luna mattress cover or the Samsung SmartSense (both yet to be released) will hopefully solve these problems and make things easier:

3 Likes

[quote=“sgnihttrams, post:12, topic:28046, full:true”]

OMG! lol
At first, when I started looking for ‘luna mattress cover’, I found this…
http://www.lunamattress.com

Then, after browsing their site for a while and not finding anything having to do with what we’re discussing, I started to wonder if it was part of an inside joke or something, but I couldn’t find anything like that in your post or anywhere else.

So, I looked some more, and found this…

Dude! This is so cool, I almost can’t handle it lol

I just sent them a message to request SmartThings integration.
If it really is what they want it to be once it actually comes to market, I’m buying one.

Thank you very much for mentioning it. I can imagine so much good coming from something like that (i.e. sleep is so important. Wow!). [/quote]

I can only assume the thousands of others that found this same confusion eventually lead them to change their name…in this case, they have changed it from Luna to Eight
http://blog.eightsleep.com/luna-is-now-eight