Monitoring Elderly Parent - Need a little help and advice

I’m trying to set up a helpful monitoring system for an elderly woman who lives alone. I have SmartThings in my home for monitoring the garage door, the front door and turning on outside and inside lights on a schedule. So I have some experience.

1)I have a smart things presence sensor which she will carry on keys or in her bag. That will let me know if she is “home” within what range (500-1000 feet is what my smartphone registers)?

But knowing that things are OK at home is more important. She has regular tasks/activities that should occur at or by certain times.

2)So open/close sensors on the fridge , medicine cabinet and front door seem appropriate. I know I can monitor her activity with push messages to the mobile app on my phone, but would like some way to be alerted to inactivity, i.e. something doesn’t open (text and email to me and my sibling). My ST open/close sensor has apps for open/closing and alert if left open for x mins. I would like an alert if the door doesnt open by “certain time” when mode is “home” or when door hasnt opened in “x” hours when mode is “home” I dont see smartapps for that.

1. I was thinking of 2 motion sensors in the bedroom aimed near the bathroom and in the bathroom. So for instance, if mode is “night” and motion is detected inside the bathroom and motion is not detected outside within x mins, then that would cause an alert. Is this currently possible? I have a pirzwave3-eco motion sensor, but I dont see a “no motion” alert.

2. I saw a reference to a accelerometer for a pill dispenser. Has that worked out?

Suggestions would be helpful. I have read the posts I could find about the elderly and didnt see this addressed. Thank you for any help

Your mom is lucky to have you looking out for her!

Short answer on the SmartThings key fob presence indicator is that the range should be between 50 and 100 feet. (The range for a smartphone used as a presence sensor is a minimum of 500 feet, but the key fob is using different technology.)

Here are a couple of topics that might give you some ideas:

http://blog.smartthings.com/video/smart-homes-can-help-aging-parents/

1 Like

And although the following does not interact with SmartThings, I highly recommend the Great Call Splash for a panic button. This is the one I use.

It is fairly heavy, about the weight of a pocket watch, about half the size of a deck of cards.

It has two way voice with their communication center, who has a file on the client. It also has GPS. So if I’m out in my wheelchair and get a flat tire, with one button I’m connected to them, and they can call my housemate, my neighbor, or 911, whichever I want them to, and they can locate me via GPS.

The Splash model is waterproof, and can be worn in the shower.

Cost is a one time device purchase of $50 plus a service fee of $15/month, very reasonable. No contract.

This is cellular on the Verizon network, so works even if power and Internet are out.

http://www.greatcall.com/products/greatcall-splash

I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer. As someone who is quadriparetic, I have used several brands of these over the years, and this one has been the best feature/value ratio I’ve found.

So just another possible option to add to the mix. :blush:

Hey,

Welcome to the community, and most of all : you’re doing a wonderful thing! I have a personal interest in elderly care, and reasons like these is the reason why I love SmartThings so much, personally, and reminds myself why I do what I do on a daily basis. These two threads are also of people who use it for elderly care. I’d try to reach out to them too for ideas! :smile:

Well… not exactly elderly care… but I just setup a hub at my parents house. They are on vacation for a few weeks and are in an area with a soil that has high clay content… which means regular flooding. Now that we’re finally above freezing here in Michigan we’re getting a LOT of snow melt. So I setup the hub with two moisture sensors in their basement. This saves having to run over there to check their basement every day for excessive flooding.