Monitored Security system with existing SmartThings sensors?

We have set up our house with smartthings and sensors on all the doors and windows. We want to upgrade to an alarm system that is monitored but don’t want to buy all new sensors as we’ve spent a pretty penny in the last year. What system integrates best? I’ve found a bunch of threads but I’m so confused!

Thanks

I don’t know of any monitored security system in the US except the official Scout integration that will respond to events reported by the standard smartthings home automation system sensors, as the sensors are not UL listed for security systems and generally not considered reliable enough to avoid false alarms. So I don’t think you’ll be able to use them with a professionally monitored system unless you choose the scout integration.

Instead, the other systems that have central monitoring, including, for example, Abode and even SmartThings’ own ADT model, all use their own proprietary sensors specifically for triggering caals to the monitoring center.

In some cases, including Abode and the smartthings/ADT System you will be able to add your SmartThings sensors to the home automation rules such as turning on lights. But you won’t be able to use them to trigger calls to the monitoring center.

I know that’s probably not the answer that you wanted, but I think it does apply to pretty much all the existing systems out there. If you find one that is different, post and let us know.

Here’s an FAQ on the SmartThings/ADT panel which explains how the different sensors can work with the system. I think this is pretty typical.

Here is the information on the scout offering. Note that it can only monitor for “intrusion” alerts like your window sensors. It cannot at this time make a call to the fire department.

And here’s the information on the scout site:

https://smartthings.scoutalarm.com

If you’re just looking for a simple non-monitored alarm, the built in SmartHome Monitor (SHM) is decent. If you’re used to a normal alarm system, you’ll want SHM Delay 2.0.

However, besides Scout, there is Noonlight. I don’t think you need Konnected, but they are the ones that brought it here: [RELEASE] Professional smart home monitoring for security and smoke alarms with Noonlight. Note: I have not tried or have any experience with Noonlight or Scout.

2 Likes

One more point just to be aware of: with either the official scout integration or with noon Light, you are dependent on the SmartThings cloud for sending any notifications, even to your own phone. So if the SmartThings cloud is down or your Internet is down, no notifications will be sent to you or to the monitoring center.

In contrast, the smartthings/ADT Model line does have its own cellular communications to the monitoring center, as do most competing security systems.

Good point!

I have both Smartthings plus a professionally monitored security system that communicates strictly with cellular. Plus I have 10 Arlo cameras.

Brian

The latest unofficial integration is courtesy of @heythisisnate’s SmartApp development work with Noonlight

2 Likes

Our home is prewired for sensors throughout the house and currently monitored by ADT. I was thinking of getting Ring Alarm due to the DIY and the released integration with SmartThings through the community. But with this, that seems to be redundant and obsolete now. Am I thinking this through correctly? Will this still have cell backup in case of power outage?
Thanks.

My understanding was that ring wasn’t integrated. The only reliable integrated alarm with Smartthings is the Smartthings ADT alarm system. All others depend on the cloud which means once the internet goes out they are dead.

1 Like

This is what I was referencing to the ring integration. But, I’m leaning away from this now since noonlight will monitor it and konnect will add smart and remote tech.

That looks pretty nifty, but unless I dont understand what that does it appears it just gives you a way to control alarm mode. No integration with its sensors and such.

That would also involve 3 clouds I believe. If any one of them failed the integration would stop.

Except for the ADT Security Hub product, all SmartThings monitoring integrations are cloud dependent.

A very workable solution recommended by Konnected and others is to use a router with cellular failover capabilities (there are many affordable models). A “pay-by-usage” 3G or LTE plan (i.e., SIM card) is quite inexpensive… might not even have a monthly fee; but getting this configuration right is certainly a lot harder than just installing a hub with native cellular built-in. The cost savings and flexibility may be worth the effort.

That configuration still requires that the smartthings cloud be available, however. That’s the only way to get notifications, whether to your own phone or to Scout or to noon light. So it does serve the power outage issue, but still doesn’t quite meet industry standards for security systems.

The ADT Model can use its cellular module to send alerts directly to the monitoring center even when the smartthings cloud is out.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that be solved with the hub plugged into a ups? It would change networks but still connect to send notification until main power is on. I know this may start getting to cumbersome instead of just getting the ADT, but just seeing what else may be viable.

1 Like

Yup… Though the odds of a SmartThings Outage at the same time as an emergency are hopefully low (on an individual household basis).

I dunno if SmartThings is just giving up on the cellular concept or if they will come up with a hardware add-on plus local execution of the critical modules.