Modify DH from switch to Power Monitor Only?

I have a Power Plug that uses the native “Zigbee Switch Power” DH. I currently have it plugged into a pump in my basement to monitor if the pump continues to run after X amount of minutes signaling to me that there’a problem. My new recent concern is what happens if the wife or kids switch off the plug by accident in the app and the pump never runs… UGH! so is there a way to modify that DH to run as a Power Monitor Only and disable the ability to switch it on and off from within the ST app? I’ve been trying and keep running into errors, so I’m now asking the Pro’s

/**

• Copyright 2015 SmartThings
  • Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”); you may not use this file except
  • in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
  •  http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

• Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
  • on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
  • for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.

*/

metadata {
definition (name: “ZigBee Switch Power”, namespace: “smartthings”, author: “SmartThings”, ocfDeviceType: “oic.d.switch”, minHubCoreVersion: ‘000.019.00012’, executeCommandsLocally: true) {
capability "Actuator"
capability "Configuration"
capability "Refresh"
capability "Power Meter"
capability "Sensor"
capability "Switch"
capability "Health Check"
capability “Light”

fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0B04"
    fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0702"
    fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0702, 0B05", outClusters: "0003, 000A, 0019", manufacturer: "Jasco Products", model: "45853", deviceJoinName: "GE ZigBee Plug-In Switch"
    fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0702, 0B05", outClusters: "000A, 0019", manufacturer: "Jasco Products", model: "45856", deviceJoinName: "GE ZigBee In-Wall Switch"
}

tiles(scale: 2) {
    multiAttributeTile(name:"switch", type: "lighting", width: 6, height: 4, canChangeIcon: true){
        tileAttribute ("device.switch", key: "PRIMARY_CONTROL") {
            attributeState "on", label:'${name}', action:"switch.off", icon:"st.switches.switch.on", backgroundColor:"#00A0DC", nextState:"turningOff"
            attributeState "off", label:'${name}', action:"switch.on", icon:"st.switches.switch.off", backgroundColor:"#ffffff", nextState:"turningOn"
            attributeState "turningOn", label:'${name}', action:"switch.off", icon:"st.switches.switch.on", backgroundColor:"#00A0DC", nextState:"turningOff"
            attributeState "turningOff", label:'${name}', action:"switch.on", icon:"st.switches.switch.off", backgroundColor:"#ffffff", nextState:"turningOn"
        }
        tileAttribute ("power", key: "SECONDARY_CONTROL") {
            attributeState "power", label:'${currentValue} W'
        }
    }
    standardTile("refresh", "device.refresh", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat", width: 2, height: 2) {
        state "default", label:"", action:"refresh.refresh", icon:"st.secondary.refresh"
    }
    main "switch"
    details(["switch", "refresh"])
}

}

// Parse incoming device messages to generate events
def parse(String description) {
log.debug "description is $description"
def event = zigbee.getEvent(description)
if (event) {
if (event.name == “power”) {
def powerValue
powerValue = (event.value as Integer) //TODO: The divisor value needs to be set as part of configuration
sendEvent(name: “power”, value: powerValue)
}
else {
sendEvent(event)
}
}
else {
log.warn "DID NOT PARSE MESSAGE for description : $description"
log.debug zigbee.parseDescriptionAsMap(description)
}
}

def off() {
zigbee.off()
}

def on() {
zigbee.on()
}

def refresh() {
Integer reportIntervalMinutes = 5
zigbee.onOffRefresh() + zigbee.simpleMeteringPowerRefresh() + zigbee.electricMeasurementPowerRefresh() + zigbee.onOffConfig(0,reportIntervalMinutes * 60) + zigbee.simpleMeteringPowerConfig() + zigbee.electricMeasurementPowerConfig()
}

def configure() {
log.debug "in configure()"
return configureHealthCheck()
}

def configureHealthCheck() {
Integer hcIntervalMinutes = 12
sendEvent(name: “checkInterval”, value: hcIntervalMinutes * 60, displayed: false, data: [protocol: “zigbee”, hubHardwareId: device.hub.hardwareID])
return refresh()
}

def updated() {
log.debug “in updated()”
// updated() doesn’t have it’s return value processed as hub commands, so we have to send them explicitly
def cmds = configureHealthCheck()
cmds.each{ sendHubCommand(new physicalgraph.device.HubAction(it)) }
}

def ping() {
return zigbee.onOffRefresh()
}

I had similar concerns about a few devices.

my workaround was

1. never use the phone app unless there’s a gun at my head
  2. schedule and re-schedule only “ON” commands once or twice a day, by time or event.
  3. notify if ever it is turned off.
  4. redefine the standard device type to make the power display on the main tile. Then I am unlikely to press on/off tile in browsing the phone app list with a gun at my head.
  5. don’t let anybody touch my stuff. I’m bad enough.

Eric,

How would I go about #3? Is there already an app that does that or do I need to use Webcore?

As for #4 I’ve been trying to modify the device type in and have it show Power in the main but it then shows as Tile Missing in the app. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, but as long as I can get #3 to work I don’t need to worry about the others.

Under "capability” remove switch. Done. :grinning:

1 Like

#3, phoneapp/ smartapp/ “Notify Me When…”

Removing switch capability seems fast too.

#4, there’s 1-2 places I had to change only the ORDER of the capabilities. groovy and devices types are not familiar to me, so I would change as little as possible and looking at your listing, I would revert to the default device type, then try first to only revise :
main "power"
details([“power”, “refresh”])

but your multiattribute tile is likely a huge target for errant fatfingering.