Mobile device presence broken with iOS 11

I have one phone and an iPad logged in to my account. Only phone used for presence

I updated to version 2.7.0 on my iPhone 6 (iOS 11.0.1) while I was at work today. I just got home, checked on my wifeā€™s phone (still on iOS 10.3.3) to see what it said about my presence - it worked!

Iā€™m marked as arrived home at exactly the right time. Iā€™ll check again when I leave home in the morning. You may not have fixed all the issues but possibly itā€™s fixed for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update 2.7.0 seem to have worked for me as well in regard to presence issues. Letā€™s see how it is after a few days of use.

I donā€™t think you can set Presence that way with Life360, but you can simply have both and use either as a trigger for your automation, or create a third(!) virtual presence sensor which is Present when either Sam(Phone) or Sam(Life360) is.

To SmartThings:

Installed the latest update to the App last night and using my iPhone as a presence sensor worked this morning for both of my phone for the first time since updating to iOS 11. The system detected both departures and arrivals with no issues and well within my Geo-fence. Whatever changes where made to the App seem to be on the right track.

Thanksā€¦

Sadly it made no difference at all here, but as Kyle has said, the real meat of the fix is yet to come.

No difference. 10.3.3 works. 11.0.1 fails

The one difference I noticed with yesterdayā€™s Smartthings app update 2.7.0 is that my location now updates instantly once I open the app. Before it usually took a couple of minutes to update. One step in the right direction :slight_smile:
Thank you!

This wasnā€™t true for me - my location is still screwy (havenā€™t been home since the 28th) and I spent a bunch of time in the app yesterday post 2.7.0 getting a virtual garage door DTH working.

After upgrading to 2.7.0 on both my and my wifeā€™s phones (on their own ST accounts), presence worked for the first time since upgrading to iOS 11 this morning. Fingers crossed this continues to be the case. Happy to share any logs if it helps implement a larger fix.

1 Like

Based on what you said I didnā€™t expect 2.7.0 to help really. That doesnā€™t seem to be the case, presence seems to be working like normal so farā€¦

1 Like

I spoke to soonā€¦it didnā€™t detect me leaving home this morning.

Guysā€¦ they have already said that 2.7.0 didnā€™t fix it, they only added some metrics to help them, track it down.

1 Like

Not sure if this has been posted already, but just in caseā€¦ https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/88319 a developer there suggests that using Xcode 9 to build the app has a negative effect on the geofencing behavior of apps running on iOS 11. It might not be related to the issue weā€™re experiencing but good to keep it in mind anyway.

The webCoRE presence app is built with Swift4 in XCode 9 and works fine on iOS11, so I think thatā€™s pretty much ruled out. I thought it had to do with phone CPU speed, thinking anything iPhone 6 and below would be affected but the poll I made above proves that wrong too. I still believe the issue is with the time allotted to the app to do its job while in the background - it needs to do the bare minimum and be done quickly. I believe ST is working on that.

2 Likes

Forgive me for not reading every comment prior to this post, but something weird just happened to me on the way to work. While at a stop light, I went in to open ST to force the presence update like I often do, and it popped up with an error saying my Cellular data was not available. Same on other apps, not sure if this was a one time thing or if hopping from WI-FI to cell has an issue in this last update. When I got to work I played around with it. Making sure WI-FI was disabled, still nothing, no data. Rebooted my iPhone 6+ and disabled WI-FI again and everything worked again. Will check it on the way home too.

Iā€™m just going to throw this out here and jinx myself, but since the update itā€™s been working again. Iā€™m running iOS 11.1 beta. Iā€™ve been trying no to open the app at all, but have had to at least once a day for various reasons. I will say that the app seems to be loaded in the background when Iā€™m opening it. Before, it would be the same as if it was closed and I was opening it for the first time.

1 Like

After update on both phones 6 and 8 it has worked for a few arriving and departing cycles today however I am seeing logs that are reporting weird results.

For me since this most recent update it has worked every time. I even updated my wifes phone to IOS 11 and updated the app, she too has worked every time.

I hope it continues to work for the foreseeable future. Now if we can just get SHM to update again after routines fire.

1 Like

2.7.0 still works after 4 days use. Thanks.