Mobile device presence broken with iOS 11

I have been testing for only 1 day and 2 presence events so far… but my WebCore presence sensor was accurate in all cases vs. the Smartthings Presence sensor only works after I open the app and wait about 1-2 minutes.

2 Likes

I need to look into webcore. I just haven’t had the time. The fact that ST pretty much just ignores the fact that stuff doesn’t work anymore is disappointing to say the least.

They’re not “ignoring” it - they are working on a fix - they released a new beta version (2.7.0) that tries to identify the issue - I am running that on my phone. They ARE working on it, but I can’t tell how long it could take. @kleneau may be able to shed more light on that.

3 Likes

Agreed that they are being quite responsive here - bug triage, RCCA, fix development, QA and release doesn’t happen overnight.

Also, just to say - the 11.0.1 update didn’t actually fix any of the problems. Something about the update process itself must have updated my presence, but it was a one-time thing. Leaving, coming back, etc still doesn’t produce any changes. Ditto the wife’s phone.

1 Like

IOS 11 sdk has been out for longer than this thread has started in complaining about the issues. This thread was 26 days deep before it was acknowledged. Sorry, guess ignoring it is not the correct word anymore.

1 Like

Sorry, what I meant was they’re not ignoring it now. They have been, yes. For the heck of it, I reported presence not working in iOS11 back on June 15th: Siri in iOS 11

1 Like

As others have mentioned in the thread… Download the free life360 app as a work around. I’ve been using it the past two days and it works about as well as the smartthings mobile presence worked prior to iOS 11. One benefit I see with life360 is it allows me to add people as presence sensors without having to give them a full install of smartthings. No need for my in-laws to have fun control of all my stuff nor do they want it.

1 Like

Is there any update?

Going to try life360 out, hope this gets resolved regardless.

I put life360 on and it’s working
Only my wife and I both using 6s iphones
I’d say it’s a good alternative. Maybe even a more reliable solution then normal presence.

I have to make sure my wife does not update to ios11 on her 6s then until this is resolved. Really bad on Smartthings part to ignore this problem for months and not test ios11.

@ady624 is it possible to use this fo 2 separate systems in the future? 2 hubs different homes and systems???

Yes, but total of places must not exceed 10.

How do I register me as a new sensor on another system???

Install webCoRE on that location as well, then use that instance to register into the app and setup the sensor the exact same way - each location then gets its own places and devices - but the sum of all places cannot exceed 10 - iOS can only handle 20 geofences per app.

1 Like

Perfect

Thanks

Of course, the same happened again in wife’s phone. The app decided to close itself of its own as well.

I integrated my Life360 users into SmartThings, but all 5 devices won’t show accurate presence! My family has come and gone and returned and none of the users show any activity. How did you get yours to work properly?

1. each user has their own life360 account on their phones?
  2. you invited each member to your circle from your life360 account?
  3. you added each member in the life360 smartapp in the ST app?

I’ve been using Life360 for a few years and have had it integrated in the past (with minor issues). Yes, to all.