Miniature tilt sensor?

I’d like to find out what’s the smallest tilt sensor one can find? I noticed in my household we often left stove/oven turned on and forgot about it. I was thinking if there’s a tilt sensor small enough we could attach it to the turn knob to sense if things are on/off.

I have been using the smattthings multisensor as a tilt sensor for the garage and it works very well, but of course that’s too big for a turn knob…

(Robin) #2

I can’t think of any small enough…

Is it a gas or electric stove?

If elec:
Use a power monitor (clamp type)

If gas:
Use a ds18b20 temperature probe connected to a Fibaro Door/window sensor.

Note - a ds18b20 sensor with PTFE cable (best for high temp) are only suitable for up to 125C so it will have to be mounted on the outside of the oven as too hot inside… maybe on the glass or packed into the insulation on the side.

(Robin) #3

Another option for gas might be to tap into the existing thermocouple… try testing wires to see if any provide a ‘normally open / closed’ signal relating to hot/cold.

Edit: what he said lol :arrow_down:

(Eric) #4

don’t mess with the thermocouple. The signal level is low, the wires are fine (tiny), and both are easily damaged. You could make it go to 100% heat and overheat the oven.

A regular Zwave temperature sensor on the glass, or any part that gets warm, should indicate if the thing is still producing heat after a suitable delay, when it’s expected to be room temp.