Migrating from SmartThings to Vera Plus

I actually haven’t posted it yet :slight_smile:

Have you seen these zwdebug notes before? I didn’t do anything to enable zwdebug…

Did you put in a support ticket on the Z wave repair problems you were having? If so, support probably turned on the advanced debug.

1 Like

That’s a good point! I spent a good while on chat with support earlier!

Nope… I’ve stopped looking for problems… keeps the happy factor up!

2 Likes

With you. The no local security unless you enable cloud login, really was the nail in the coffin for me.

ST has been working well for me, and I have designed my system to allow for a reasonable fallback (use the lightswitch) so the occasional outage is not the end of the world. Smartlighing with motion triggers has been nearly 100%.

3 Likes

So, I have my ST hub plugged into my dd-wrt enabled secondary route (turned it into an access point) that connects to my router via Wi-Fi.

Last night I was trying to find my hub on the network… But I couldn’t find it… Shoot, I couldn’t even find my access point.

When I set it up I enabled the make it invisible option after I was done… Now, the only way I can get to it is via a total reset… (not gonna happen)…

I couldn’t even sniff it out… And I’m on the network!

How’s that for security! Lol

1 Like

I found that placing the wifi router in a 1/2" thick metal box and then in the microwave and place the microwave in my largest oven secures it best. Nobody can EVER access that router. EVER! Oh, did I also mention it’s not plugged in, seems to help a little bit?

4 Likes

My service dog only gets B’s on his skills tests because he will only perform for me. Not for the trainer, not for my housemate, not for somebody waving a steak in front of his nose. At some point he just decided that he works for me.

The trainer said that was fine, she said some dogs are like that, it just means that she can’t give him A’s on the test because he won’t perform the skills for her. But it’s still a solid pass because she can observe him performing the skills when I tell him to.

She said one of her clients who had a dog with a similar issue used to tell her it was a “security feature.” :smile::dog:

11 Likes

With all the talk about Wifi and Asus, DDwrt, etc in here. I can say that I often run into limitations with most Wifi access points, routers, etc in terms of their ability to network the way I wish them to. So I had, in the past, went to DDWRT or other firmware to get what I wanted. Even that got old.

For those in the same boat, check out Ubiquity Unifi APs. None of the silly flashy uber +++ 10 gazillion GBYTESpersecond marketing nonsense, but more importantly the powerful network features, stability, and enterprise type solution for a home type cost. One word of warning, they require a controller which is a compute deployment, physical or virtual, to manage the APs much like you see in the enterprise. So it’s not for the faint of heart. If you run a compute chassis anyway, this is just another virtual instance.

1 Like

Hmmm… So, what it your fallback for switches and dimmers that are operated on schedules and are not easily accessible (e.g. hidden behind the furniture)? How do you turn those on/off if ST is down and you cannot reach the switch? How do you turn off the siren that was triggered by the locally executed rule, but cannot be turned of via the mobile app?

I’ll respond to that before @bamarayne gets to brag on his local set up. With a minimote.

1 Like

Thank you, I prefer minions. They are funny and follow instructions pretty well. No cloud dependance either. Just apples and bananas…

2 Likes

Really? Minimote has only four buttons and I have 20 switches. How do you control Zigbee switches with Minimote?

1 Like

aaaand my witty answer is: Use 5 minimotes?! (Each button doubles as press or hold)

1 Like

That’s easy… Smart lighting.

3 Likes

Never mind, Jason is here, he’ll answer now ;))

2 Likes

Did you really hide your 20 switches under or behind furniture? SL operates locally zigbee and zwave switches, my TV outlet, which is behind an entertainment center, is zigbee and when I first set up the minimote it worked. I haven’t used it in a while, but I sure hope still works if my net goes down.

Smart lighting what? SmartThings is down, i.e. mobile app does not work, schedules don’t work.

Not put furniture in front of switches. Besides inconvenient, there is a safety factor with doing that. No matter what system there is a chance that it will not work. Whether cloud, hardware crash, network outage and you should have a plan B.

Moving my siren to cloud device handler, not ideal but better than nothing. Still have all my hues turn on Red.

1 Like

8 Functions per minimote. How many switches do you have covered by furniture??

Either way, I won’t rely even upon local execution. Life must go on without ST around here. One day I hope to be able to rely upon it, or another central, master HA, but that day is not today.

1 Like