Microbot push integration?

I am considering getting a microbot push to automate turning on/off an AC unit. So far the only way that I can see to have it to work with ST is using virtual devices in ST thru IFTTT. And that requires getting the rather expensive prota S hub.

I have many unsed old android phones/tablets sitting at home. Is it a possibility to connect the microbot directly to an android device and integrate it to ST directly thru an app like tasker and such?

@JDRoberts uses these, but I think you’ll need the Prota hub.

1 Like

As others have said, you have to use their Prota bridge and their IFTTT channel. It’s an easy way to retrofit a lot of older devices, but it does get expensive. See the following thread (this is a clickable link)

Thanks for the replies. Factoring in the cost of the hub this solution is getting pretty expensive

No question. I use it because I’m quadriparetic and there are some devices where I just can’t physically push the buttons, but I don’t want to have to pay somebody to do a bunch of rewiring. I have a small blender that I can use because you drink right out of the mix container, but I can’t push the start button. The push microbot was a good solution for me for that particular case.

Other people use it because they have some big expensive device where they like everything about it, they just want to add echo or SmartThings Control. For example, a really fancy coffee maker, a chairlift, or the example of the community member who has a pellet stove. In that case the microbot is very inexpensive relative to the total cost of the device, so they’re happy.

And some people use it just because it’s fast and easy even though it is expensive. :sunglasses:

One Bridge can support up to 40 microbots so it’s also a question of how many you’re going to need. If you just want to retrofit a single device with one microbot, then, yes, the cost is High. But if you have three devices it becomes a no wiring solution that’s in budget range with the high-end smart switches. So different things work for different people.

1 Like

Thanks for your input. Unless I misunderstood, the microbot connects to the hub thru bluetooth. One big worry would be if I distribute multiple microbots in different part of the house, one hub may not be able to connect to all. Then that means I may be needing multiple hubs…

Now my life problems would be all solved if there were also microbot slider and microbot turn-nob…

Thanks for your input. Unless I misunderstood, the microbot connects to the hub thru bluetooth. One big worry would be if I distribute multiple microbots in different part of the house, one hub may not be able to connect to all. Then that means I may be needing multiple hubs…

[/quote]

You’re correct. It’s standard Bluetooth range between the micro You’re correct. It’s standard Bluetooth range between the microbot and the bridge, so around 15 m. At our house, that’s enough to cover 80% of the space, so we have only needed one bridge. But if your house is much bigger or more spread out, you might need more than one.

Now my life problems would be all solved if there were also microbot slider and microbot turn-nob…

Indeed. :sunglasses: I can’t say it would solve all my life problems (see Exhibit 12, the troublesome housemate), but the knob in particular would be a big help. Hopefully someday soon. Naran is planning to have their twist microbot available in late 2018 and they have been pretty good so far in hitting their announced timelines.

You’re correct. It’s standard Bluetooth range between the micro You’re correct. It’s standard Bluetooth range between the microbot and the bridge, so around 15 m. At our house, that’s enough to cover 80% of the space, so we have only needed one bridge. But if your house is much bigger or more spread out, you might need more than one.

Indeed. :sunglasses: I can’t say it would solve all my life problems (see Exhibit 12, the troublesome housemate), but the knob in particular would be a big help. Hopefully someday soon. Naran is planning to have their twist microbot available in late 2018 and they have been pretty good so far in hitting their announced timelines.

[/quote]

I wasn’t aware of the microbot twist, that’s exciting. However from their youtube video it appears to have 2 pieces, one for the knob itself, and another pieces to host the mechanism to twist the knob. Such large footprint may probably limit what we can use this on.

1 Like