Meet Wink 2 (2016)

I think they learned their lesson from the Lowe’s Iris fiasco. They really handled their Second generation migration poorly. Since wink is aimed at very much the same market segment as Iris, they put a lot of effort into making the migration easy.

No it’s not… because we all know it’s going to be super slow… lol

1 Like

Yep, particularly considering that they’ve filed for bankruptcy a year ago and were this close to extinction. Nice recovery though. Their new hub appears to beat ST on all fronts.

Perhaps @alex can comment on this. It is ridiculous that Wink has it but ST doesn’t. I realize there may be technical hurdles. However, at this point I’m thinking the ST back end structure has painted them into a corner on this. It is really disappointing.

I have to argue this… can wink users write their own apps and device handlers?

This has been argued before. Ability to write custom apps and device handlers benefits less than 1% of users. On the flip side, it creates more support issues than it’s worth, in most cases. JMO, of course.

1 Like

I agree with that… but I’m part of the 1% therefore I reject your opinion. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

:smiley:

1 Like

Elitist 1%er!!!

Signed,
OST (Occupy SmartThings)

6 Likes

Alex who? :joy::laughing::grinning:

1 Like

Yeah I think us as a community should give up on trying to get any sort of response from @alex

1 Like

FWIW, initial Amazon reviews are pretty darn good - 47% gave it 5 stars. Most notably, several users highlight instantaneous response to commands and reliable connection. The Wink 2 hub has actually sold out on Amazon.

2 Likes

The review about the GE switches requiring firmware upgrades scares me. My entire house is outfitted with them…

Yeah same thing here… I wouldn’t mind incorporating it into my system.

Yes, I migrated to the 2 hub and the speed was fantastic. Local control of robots. Made a big difference. But I now have a hosed Wink2 hub after the last update and after 3-4 hours of troubleshooting and the need to go to the remote location there is still no answer. I am investigating ST as a backup plan in case this fails. I do like the fact that ST can be customized scripts.

That sounds like deja vu all over again.

1 Like

I was seriously considering Wink before choosing SmartThings. As I am now somewhat ‘invested’ in ST, I will choose to stay here for the time being. I have no need of multiple hub-based automation systems. But it’s great to see advancement on all fronts. Indeed, most users will not want to be writing ‘rules’. They will just want what they have to do what they want when they want it done!

Of course, the latter is functionally identical to the former.

I think this means that the voice interface will become more and more important. Where ‘smart’ homes will really take off is when you don’t need ‘pistons’ to do what you need done. Where they will take off is the same point that Alexa took off: simple voice interaction.

User: "Alexa (or okgoogle, or Siri, etc), I want the foyer light to go on automatically at 50% when someone unlocks and opens the front door from outside."
System: "Are there any other conditions?"
User: “It has to be at dusk or later, and it should work whether they enter a lock code or use a presence sensor. And if there is no motion in the foyer after that, the light should shut off.”

And the system should, from that conversation, be smart enough to build those rules.

It’s not a matter of being smart enough… AI is still a dream… it’s all about the intuitive programming that the developer has…

just an FYI… there’s an app in work that is going to be able to do this… it’s in its infancy right now… but it’s going to happen…

[quote=“Glen_King, post:117, topic:58546”]User: "Alexa (or okgoogle, or Siri, etc), I want the foyer light to go on automatically at 50% when someone unlocks and opens the front door from outside."System: "Are there any other conditions?"User: “It has to be at dusk or later, and it should work whether they enter a lock code or use a presence sensor. And if there is no motion in the foyer after that, the light should shut off.”

And the system should, from that conversation, be smart enough to build those rules.[/quote]

I saw that movie.

1 Like

Yeah, it never ends well. I saw that movie, too…

1 Like