MCO Z-Wave switch (DTH in post 31)

I have now tested the Dual MCO switch however only one switch of the two can be automated as the multichannel support crashes when activated in Smartthings I have reported the problem to them and I am awaiting resolution

1 Like

any update @Techvert

Hi Kyle,

Yes, the issue the ZWave multichannel default driver which would need modification to support a second channel. The MCO Switch is very cool bit without the driver modification then you can only control one channel (and one switch). You can download the file as a template, when I have time I will look into modifying it.

There maybe someone who already has ?

Brian

Is this the same for all 2 way zwave switchs like the Aeotec switch. It’s either this or using lightwave as the zwave switches are horrible…

Brian. Was you able to resolve the 2+ gang issue with smarthings?

Hi @Techvert

I recently asked this question then found this post:

Did you make any progress on the two button switch?

I have now tested the Dual MCO switch however only one switch of the two can be automated as the multichannel support crashes when activated in Smartthings I have reported the problem to them and I am awaiting resolution

I’m also getting the crash on activating the second channel.

I’ve raised a ticket with support.

Shame, this is a super-nice switch…

Any update on this?

20 charecters

Support wrote back saying it was an unsupported device. Fair enough…

The Z-Wave Multi-Channel Device is a very complicated handler and it installs an app and child devices for which the code is not published… so trying to find out what it’s doing or why it’s crashing is next to impossible.

I did hack together a handler for the switch though. The main problem with the multi-channel handler is that it associates association group 1 to the hub node id. However for these switches, group 1 is button 1, group 2 is button 2 and the last group is the group that will send back encapsulated commands. So I removed the hub from group 1 association and added it to group 3 (for a two button switch). After this it magically sent back encapsulated commands with endpoint ids in it.

There’s a good description of this behavior in this document at the bottom page 1 / top page 2:
http://www.vesternet.com/downloads/dl/file/id/697/product/1277/z_wave_mco_touch_panel_switch_two_load_manual.pdf

So what I did:

1. changed the device type to my new custom device type - at the moment this is hard coded to the two button switch and would need modification for the 3 or 4 button switch.
    https://github.com/petermajor/SmartThings/blob/master/devices/MCO-2-Button-Switch.groovy

2. in the IDE simulator for device types, I attached it to the switch device and hit the “Configure” button on the bottom right. This will do the setup.

3. installed a simple app to listen for endpoint events and send them to other devices - in my case one endpoint is a hue light bulb and another is just a simulated switch
    https://github.com/petermajor/SmartThings/blob/master/apps/MCO-2-Button-Switch.groovy

This works well for this one switch but this device type could definitely be improved.

I would like it to behave so that turning the “switch” device on an off turns on and off all endpoints of the switch. This is possible because the switch supports the “switch all” command set.

I would also like it to work on 3 and 4 button switches. I could do this by querying the number of endpoints and then setting the association on the last association group. At the moment it is hard-coded to 2.

Finally, I would like it to automatically install the app when it installs the device type. Not sure if this is possible or not.

Anyway, I’m going to be buying more of these switches over the next few months, so I will improve this as I get more switches. But for now the switch is working awesomely, so I’m not going to play with it for a while.

1 Like

has anyone heard on an update on the multi gang Aeotech touch panel

1 Like

Well here is the update I received back fro Aeon Labs in regards to the update time line on the creation of a Multigang 1 touch panel.

Short version it isn’t happening and we will never see it. So if you were waiting on it to retrofit your place you’re out of luck.

Hi Dave Bodtker,

Ticket: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2814

I apologize for my delay in response, since CES, i have been catching up to as many emails as possible that have not been responded to since.

We have designed a 4 button touchpanel called the wallmote, we have shown it off during CES 2016, and should be available this coming year, i would guestimate right around Q2 or Q3 of this year.

Though i think this is the only other wall panel currently that is in development, if there was a plan for Multigang configurations, then it may not have gotten through the pipeline due to supply and demand.

Cheers,
Chris Cheng
Field Application Engineer
Aeon Labs
ccheng@aeon-labs.com"

@slagle / @jody.albritton - with a lack of uk lighting devices and a sudden growth in interested in these devices it would be ace to see an official device type made for the 1 Gang / 2 Gang / 3 Gang / 4 Gang models of this MCO HOME Switch - a hacked method has been created above but ideally would need multi channel association which i believe is only something in house could do - is this sort of thing on the roadmap at all ???

Any other users reckon they could inprove or assist on this also — great product — @tgauchat / @codytruscott / @smart / @Mike_Maxwell

:)!

1 Like

@peter.major I tried to use your device handler but without any success…

I have an MCO Home MH-S412.
=> I have created a device handler based on your source code.
=> I have associated it to my switch

Then in the Smartthings application
=> I go to the switch page, only one button appears. Is this normal?
=> When I press this button, nothing happens. Any idea why?

As a side note, my ST Hub is working fine as my MH-S411 switches work fine :slightly_smiling:

Hi @Cedric

Yes the device handler will only show one button.

For a mutli-channel device represented as a switch, the I’ve coded the on/off switch to represent on all/off all.

If you install the associated SmartApp and associate Button 1 and Button 2 to devices that are the real devices you want to switch on and off it should work.

https://github.com/petermajor/SmartThings/blob/master/apps/MCO-Touch-Panel-Switch.groovy

Let me know if it doesn’t work for you and I can try to help you more…

@peter.major this means that if I install your handler and associate it to my switch, it should function. No?

Cause, it does not.

Just did the following

• created the device handler
  • created the smart app
  • then linked the device to the device handler
  • created a simulated Zwave switch

Then

• installed the smart app and linked my device to smart app button 1, linked the simulated device to smart app button 2

Then tried the 2 devices on ST… Nothing happens

@smart is resurrected,guys! Spent too much time on the freaking political drama and I am back! So, what’s up! :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome back buddy. It’s not so much of what’s up! But more like what’s broken!:disappointed:

1 Like

Evening alll

Has anyone managed to get MCO TOUCH PANELs working yet — 1gang / 2gang / 3gang / 4gang :slight_smile:

Eagerrrr to purchase these or similiar switches if anyone has any recommendations?!?

If not id be interested in crowd or fully (price dependant) funding the creation of this integration as i believe still its great product and 12months later st has made no progress in this field themselves :slight_smile:

@AutomateEverything @JDRoberts @Cedric @peter.major @Techvert
Have you got any solution for MCO 4 Gang Touch Panel.

Anyone sorted how to use all 4 switches of MCO Touch Panel using SmartThings ?

I really need help with this please. I’ve bought 10 pieces and got stucked by only being able to use 1 button automatically.

Thank You