Matter - smart home connectivity standard (formerly Project CHIP)

I think they showed some of the Zigbee devices at IFA a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, but as of the date of this posting Zigbee devices aren’t Matter capable unless they’re bridged. :thinking: only Thread or WiFi.

1 Like

Still no power reporting with Matter correct? I have a bunch of the Kasa plugs with energy monitoring now and I’m trying to get to where I can monitor all the devices in my house. My house is all electric including the heat and the price per KWH is through the roof here. Anyone have a guess when it will be supported?

correct, no power reporting currently. i’m not sure if they’ve confirmed it for the next version of the spec or not…

1 Like

Thanks. I will try another way to get the reports through the app or something.

If you have a ST hub you can use an Edge Driver to get power reporting from your Kasa plugs. See invitation below:

2 Likes

Was researching this earlier this week for videos… I strongly suspect the entire energy class gets fleshed out in the next release. Two reasons… Schneider Electric would not be cozy-ing up to Matter now on thier smart energy products, (and if you want a powerhouse, pun intended, for electricity management devices… Its them) and the world stage is quickly turning toward energy conservation especially in Europe. I don’t have a hard source, unfortunately. I’m trying to chase a copy of the draft spec.

My best guess says, assuming that it (energy) happens in the expected Oct-Nov time frame for 1.2/2.0 whatever it gets numbered, then 4-6 months to get the v.Next spec in the firmware and tested. Probably next July before realistic support?

Edit: all that said until multi admin and basic bridging works (looking at you, Amazon) im not at all jazzed. The auth/onboarding/credentials issues HAVE TO (not optional if they want this to succeed) be fixed.

5 Likes

Paul, thanks I will give that a try.

repost to make sure everybody sees the update who might be interested

Apparently leaving Matter off of the column for the original Flic hub was just an error. They have now fixed that so the announcement now says the existing Matter hubs, the more expensive ones, will also get matter compatibility through a firmware update. I think that’s good news.

1 Like

For those interested in deep technical details:

Tuya has updated their English language support docs to include the details of how their matter bridge will work. This will only be interesting to those who like to read code:

4 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Can Other 433 MHz bridges control Lutron devices?

1 Like

Just tried it. A bit scary at first as your whole smartthings is not connecting your usual devices or at least not showing the right status on tiles. 1min later, back to normal. Of course I now have duplicates, which It put in my unused room.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Using Hue with ST via Matter

Remember when we said the LQ THINQ app had been certified as a “matter controller”?

They lied. It’s just a matter commissioner, like all the other apps so far. You need to also have a Matter controller, in this case, an LG television that supports matter. Disappointing, but not surprising. :thinking:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Using Hue with ST via Matter

Not setting lock codes is a limitation of the Google Home app, NOT Matter. I have that exact same lock and can set guest codes with Smart Lock Guest access in SmartThings.

1 Like

This is a strange device, but will definitely fill a need.

Zemismart has released a version of Tuya’s M1 hub intended specifically to bridge Tuya zigbee and Thread devices to other platforms, including smartthings. List price is $99, but it looks like they’ve got a pre-order price of $49. (the English translation of the page has a number of issues that make things confusing.)

Anyway…

It is NOT a matter controller, so it won’t work if it’s the only hub you have.

It IS a Matter bridge.

You can ONLY add Tuya Zigbee devices to it, no third party Zigbee devices.

You will have to use the Tuya app to get the code you need to add to other platforms. (it’s not clear to me whether the smart life app would also work or not.)

ZemiSmart has launched a brand new smart home hub with a lot of functionality under the hood. The M1 is primarily a Zigbee hub that exposes Tuya Zigbee child devices to any Matter platform – Apple Home, Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Samsung SmartThings.
Although it will work with any {Matter certified} Thread-enabled device, the Zigbee hub portion will only work with ZemiSmart and Tuya Zigbee child devices.

The product page says it’s also HomeKit certified and displays the old HomeKit logo, but I’m not sure whether it really is. It might just be using matter to get to Apple home. :thinking:

Anyway… If you want to use Tuya devices locally with SmartThings without needing any custom code and without using the scenes method, this should do it, if it works as promised. As always, this does not mean that all features of all models will be brought through the integration.

If anyone has actually tried it, let us know. I am especially curious about the multi gang light switches.

@Paul_Oliver @w35l3y

4 Likes

Very interesting. As I would have expected it doesn’t look like it will be a bridge for Tuya WiFi devices. Which are the devices we have the most trouble integrating with ST. But it is definitely a step in the right direction.

As JD asked, if you try this Matter Bridge please report back to community and let up know how it works.

1 Like