Make your existing non z-wave, RF remote controlled Ceilng Fans Smart (Bond)

Yup - same. Don’t want to spend too much time on this before they get their SmartThings integration out, 'cause it’ll probably mean that my current setups would be tossed out. I did setup a kind of “status” via Google Switches for each fan that are updated when the fans are turned on or off from my webCore pistons. Works surprisingly well. :slight_smile:

Forgot to mention - I have a spare battery operated Aeon home energy monitor, and am thinking I might hook that up to the fan in my son’s room…he is the WORST offender about leaving his fan in his room on all day when he’s not home. That way I could get “real” on/off status on his fan and turn it off when I know he’s not there. Can’t use presence sensor as he doesn’t want one, and not going to force it on him. Kids… :slight_smile:

If I could find a way to extend the Aeon sensor’s arms, I’d put one on his fan and the other on the office fan (his other favorite fan to leave on) and be able to monitor/manage both of them.

Really only doing this monitoring for the fun of it…small issues require big efforts when geeks are involved. :smiley:

The problem with the extension of the clamps is electrical. The clamps are only a Coil that has voltage induced by the wire passing through the center. So the length of the additional wire to extend it would increase the resistance. So to prevent the resistance you would have to increase the diameter of the conductor that extends the clamp.

1 Like

The Bond Ifttt service has been updated to permit the setting of fan speeds by percentage.

4 Likes

Any word on when official ST integration is?

Haven’t heard yet but the whole virtual momentary switch for each fan and light in ST, paired with that device on bond on iFTTT works great!

No status but you can control off separately from speeds and light. Whatever buttons are on the fan remote.

1 Like

Just a friendly heads up folks. The Bond is selling at Home Depot for $79.99 if anyone wants to grab one of these. I just did!

UPDATE: Price is no longer available.

3 Likes

Ooh, hadn’t heard about the IFTTT applet! BOND is working great for me. I never use the app, just talk to my Echo. Great to have IFTTT for some ST integration possibilities.

1 Like

Wow! You got a great price on this Ron. I got mine at HD for 89 during xmas and was quite proud of myself. Note I have mine on the first floor of my home and it still manages to run a fan in an upstairs bedroom!

2 Likes

agreed, i paid $99 on amazon I think. Worth it though, mine controlls all our fans in our 2700ft2 home upstairs and down. Amazing.

1 Like

I never even thought to try this. I just added my 3rd fan which is 1 floor below the unit through a very thick marble floor and it works. I knew RF can work through walls etc but usually the range is weak. This thing has a strong signal. Nice!

1 Like

FYI, the new Bond widgets on Android phones are very convenient and work well.

2 Likes

Today I noticed that if I told Alexa to set fan to high or low, it would send the proper command through the Bond. However, I can’t get it to set “medium” properly this way. I don’t know if the change was with Bond, Bond skill or with Alexa. Has anyone else noticed similar behavior?

Then use the original command Alexa set Bla Bla fan to 50%"

Yup. I know. Just curious if “high” and “low” commands were working for others.

I can do Low and High but not Medium with Alexa.

I also can only control one of the fan’s two lights via Alexa. Despite the BOND devices existing and working and being named Up and Down, only a single device called “Light” seems to exist in Alexa. Of course dimming still doesn’t work.

1 Like

Yes for medium, I say set office fan to 50% and that works.

I don’t know how Alexa picks up the devices from the Bond but I wonder if in the Bond app you renamed the lights to “Light Up” and “Light Down” if it would make a difference.

Yeah, the names of the two lights are something like Up Light and Down Light but BOND chooses neither and just has an Alexa device called Light. I can post a screenshot if need be.

I wonder if you created another device in Bond for that same ceiling fan and erased all functions except the light that is not seen by Alexa, would that expose the light to Alexa.