Make your existing non z-wave, RF remote controlled Ceilng Fans Smart (Bond)

https://forum.appbond.com/categories/ it isn’t very active, but the support staff is there. Merck is one top guy. I think Olibra is the admin there.

Could not “get in”, and also not accepting users if I tried to register…

Maybe someday.

It ended up looking like a networking issue w/the Eero router I use.

When doing setup (very late last night) the Bond device showed three networks in my home (all same SSID) - presumably 5.0, 2.4 and no idea what the third one could be. No other device I’ve added to my network has ever shown the same SSID duplicate/triplicate times. So it may be that Bond needs to look at how they ID/display available networks.

The first time I chose the first of the three networks and that wasn’t working well, the second time this AM I chose the second network and things are working fine on all three devices.

Added a fan w/out issue it appears.

I recently read about another issue with Eero creating phantom network during network search. Download an App on you iPhone or other phone called FING. It allows you to see your complete network, and hidden things.

Yeah, I just ran into this same thing with my nework setup (I have an Orbi router).

In my case, I had just 2 networks showing with my normal SSID, and I tried the setup on both (I think?), and it worked the same both times. My fan connected fine both times, so I guess I’m all set.

Mine connected on my 2.4 network, but I’m curious if Bond is 5GHz capable or not - I can’t find any info one way or another.

I’ll post about this in the Bond forum and see what shakes out.

Overall though, this is a pretty darn cool tool - I like its potential!

Yeah - the interesting thing was that it seemed like the Bond was connecting to 5G, but with all my other devices that connect on 5G the Eero handles bridging them to 2.4 connected devices (like printers) just fine.

For some reason the Bond was just not happening until I reconnected it.

All six of my fans are now connected (Hunter and Hampton Bay) and controlled as expected. I don’t use my Alexa (cannot get family to learn more than one device) so using GH voice I have on/off of the fans. (As noted, I am not going to be using Bond for fan light control.)

I’ve setup (thanks to @joelw135 and @ErnieG) control of them using IFTT/webHooks commands from webCore pistons, executing them from my Aeon Minimotes. Delay from button-press is about 2-3 seconds for me. Not great, but usable. I also tried setting up a Google Switch to control the fans via IFTTT, but delay was 5-6 seconds using that approach.

I moved the unit to the center of my home, it was unable to reach the bedrooms from the family room (opposite ends of the house).

Overall I’m very pleased with this…after setup it seems reliable and responsive, and the ability to manage six fans solves my fan control problems efficiently.

ST integration will be key - currently the fan turns on to the last used speed and I typically use the same fan speed (medium), but my wife has already said that she needs speed control or she’ll have to keep using the normal fan remote. (Beware, Bond, make my wife unhappy at your peril.)

:wink:

3 Likes

Fan speed selection works with the Echo. You need to tell it a percentage, ie 25% for low, 50% medium and 75% for high. Does this not work with Google home?

Yup, but from what I read (I thought on the Bond website) Bond only supports on/off on GH at this time.

Yup - just reconfirmed, Info on Echo control on Bond site includes %, GH does not.

Sorry, I was working on a splice job in the 4 gang switch box. Getting ready for additional switches. Yes Dana you are correct only Echo does speed control at this time.

Yup - which means I can use it via voice if I want to, but won’t share w/my family, who while brilliant in every other way are Smart Home Learning Impaired, and struggle mightily when I give them more than a single path, and we are GH-centric on everything else. :smiley:

1 Like

VERY simple webCore piston I created to turn fan on/off using webHook with one button on our Minimote remotes. I control several sets of switches/lights via buttons 1, 2, and 4 on the Minimotes via the stock DTH for the device to retain local processing, so the piston is only managing button 3 for fan control.

The state variable keeps things in sync between the three minimotes I have in the office (wife, son, and TV area all get their own minimotes to avoid the minimotes walking around too much and getting lost) controlling the fan there. Going to hide the fan remote so they won’t use it and get things out of sync. (evil grin)

Using pistons like this in the four rooms where I have both fans and Minimotes. One of the six fans is really never used so ignoring that for now, my son has the final fan and says I should stay out of his bedroom w/my stuff. :smiley: LOL…happy to comply, since I’m out of Minimotes.

Updated - forgot to include the fan status indicator - using a Google Switch that I added to my Things - piston sets the Google Switch state to on or off so I can look at my SmartThings Thing list or Dashboard and see which fans are on or off. Not 100% reliable if someone digs out the original remote and uses it, but a lot better than nothing. Dimmmer3 is the Google Switch.

Feel free to borrow/modify/comment/snicker :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just got a response to my post in the Bond forums…

Current hardware only supports 2.4GHz connection within your own wifi network - they are exploring a 5GHz option for future hardware, but I doubt that will be backwards compatible with this current puck model.

For we mesh router users, when we initially set up Bond, we see multiple network options with the same SSID because Bond “sees” the network from each of our mesh router/sat units - if you have a 3-unit mesh system, you’ll see 3 network entries, etc.

So that GUI issue doesn’t seem to be related to 2.4 versus 5… I think I’ll play around with resetting my Bond to see if I can use those network options to manually steer its connection to my closest Orbi unit, but I’m not convinced it’ll matter.

It’s working for for me now, so no big deal either way I guess.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @Hydro.

That makes more sense - I was surprised that the Bond might support 5G, most of these devices don’t support/need 5G.

It does make it stranger though, that my S7 Edge couldn’t talk to the Bond after I set it up w/my Nexus 6P. Even if the Bond was connecting to a different unit in my mesh, my S7 should be able to see it. I have had zero issues w/any other devices on my Eero network not talking to each other. I’ve passed detailed info on my experience on to the Bond support team, and they’ve thanked me and are passing the info on to their engineers.

I think they’d be better off masking the separate unit’s networks (as setup SW for other devices does from what I’ve seen so far)…less confusing (“Why do I have three of my same network and which one should I choose?!”) and presumably more reliable. The GH Mini I recently setup had none of these multi-network issues.

Back to using Bond…yesterday I had put my Bond in a temporary spot on a middle shelf in a bookshelf in the living room. This AM I put it on top of the bookshelf (so I could hide the cord behind the bookshelf). Went into the family room to test something w/the fan there and the Bond could no longer communicate w/the fan in the family room. I then moved the Bond to the top of an electric piano we have in the living room (same distance from fan, but about 4’ off the ground) and tried again and things worked fine. So I may be at or near the limit for the Bond to control my family room fan where slight changes can affect coverage.

1 Like

Update:

It appears (though not 100% sure) from my testing that Webhook commands are case-sensitive. So if you send FanOnOffice that is treated differently than fanOnOffice. I was having trouble w/two fans not responding to my Webhook commands in my pistons. When I updated the commands on IFTT to match the case that I used in my piston exactly, they started working.

WAF on this is very high, though she says that if I don’t get her speed control via minimote she’s going to leave me for a younger, more technically astute man. So Bond…really need you to come through w/the ST integration!! :slight_smile:

BTW - this is what the Google Switch that shows fan status looks like in the Things list. As noted, I have setup one Google Switch for each fan. The switch doesn’t do anything but show current status, on or off as controlled by the fan pistons, updated to show current fan on/off status any time the pistons run.

Do you have an Echo device? If so, there is a Rube Goldberg way to have a minimote change the Bond fan speed.

@ErnieG Yes, I have an Echo. I don’t mind a Rube Goldberg setup as long as it is reliable and the button push delay isn’t too bad…that would be a great interim option to keep the wife happy.

My Google Home sits next to my Echo…I could send a broadcast to my GH telling Echo to set the speed level, but I think that would drive my family nuts. :slight_smile:

Appreciate learning about your approach.

Yes I had that problem when I did my first one. it also doesn’t like if you put a hyphen in.

1 Like

I did this as a test a few weeks ago and don’t currently use it. I don’t recall the delay but it was surprisingly reliable. It does require an always on android device, Tasker with its Autoremote and Autoinput plugins, and the Reverb app. Reverb allows you to send written commands to Alexa.
These are the general steps.

1. WebCore piston reacting to minimote button input that sends a webcall via Autoremote to Tasker.
  2. Tasker opens the app Reverb and via Autoinput navigates to and selects the written commands to Alexa.
  3. Alexa sends signal to Bond.
  4. Happiness and super spouse status.
1 Like

Thanks very much for the summary, Ernie…hmm, I do have an always on Android device that I don’t use regularly (work provided) so that could be the “server” for this.

But not sure I’m up for this given the number of moving parts/setup required, however. (Me = sort of lazy.) Maybe I can sweet talk my wife, take her to dinner, do some dishes and she’ll wait for official ST integration. :wink:

1 Like