Make Alexa wake up and say something?

I am having the identical issue, so I feel a little better now I am not the only one. Sorry for our bad luck, maybe tomorrow morning it will be working.

2 Likes

Hoping so, Iā€™m off tomorrow and Thursday! :slight_smile:

well, I know at least 5 people it is working for and you and I are 2 it is not so fingers crossed, lol.

Nothing here either. I canā€™t even get it to recognize my sensors.

Glad this is finally released by Amazonā€¦Now we can put these clunky hacks to bed.

This is rolling out to people in waves. If you donā€™t have it yet, you will.

The interesting thing is if you already have a multi function device (like the GE motion sensor dimmers or switches) the Amazon app recognizes the fact that they have dual functionality. I was surprised to find my already included switches now could alert on motion without discovering new devices.

+1 for Amazon today!

3 Likes

Not everything is a hackā€¦ but with advancements on the Amazon side there comes a need for less and less hacks. Now we do not need a difficult to install app like Ask Alexa or Echosistant to find out the status of front door.

And, Like I saidā€¦ this was a work in progress, and here it is! (no, I had nothing to do with this, it was in a discussion at my interview with Amazon)

2 Likes

I have to subtract your +1 :wink:
While itā€™s a very welcome addition itā€™s another extremely limited implementation by Amazonā€¦

You canā€™t even select multiple devices to trigger the same voice eventā€¦
Itā€™s like they donā€™t understand home automation at all. I donā€™t want to make 50 routines

3 Likes

Maybe .75ā€¦Amazon works in a dev ops environment. While this function took a while to come out, my bet is that it only improves from here. For some reason I thought that mult-room groups worked, but in testing just now they donā€™t.

So I subtract .25 but keep the remainder on the table to allow Amazon to improve.

:smiley:

4 Likes

I sure hope youā€™re right about this rolling out in waves. I canā€™t do a damn thing right now. When I allow echo access to my sensors in the SmartThings amazon echo smartapp, Then tell Alexa to discover my new devices she never sees them.

1 Like

Same here butā€¦I guess right after I added them in SmartThings, they must have been discovered. Kept running discovery and she kept saying nothing new. However when I decided to make a routine, they were thereā€¦

Alexa finds my devices but they donā€™t show up as an option in Routines. All I see is ā€œVoiceā€ or ā€œScheduleā€. I hope this updates soon so we can all play.

I know this is basic, but did you update your Alexa app?

Not seeing an update in the playstore. Last update was August 9th.

give it some time, it will update.

Are you running any Show devices?

Nope. Donā€™t have any.

OK, Iā€™m on iOS and the app was updated last week.

@MichaelS

Can you provide any insights as to why this occurs for some while others report they never see this issue?

Is there something in that script that can be adjusted to allow login without running into the captcha?

It otherwise works really well for me.

Editā€¦ I understand this is not your work. Just hoping you could point me down the right path.

Still same issue today I I can play the routine and you hear speak but will not activate on contact open or close.

Chris,

No problemā€¦that is why there is a community support forum. Unfortunately, I donā€™t know the reason for the Captcha. If you authenticate and say ā€œkeep me logged inā€ you can avoid it for a while, but there is a lot of site security that is in place. In my case, I have a 2-factor auth app that generates a random number. This along with the captcha really caused me issues. I temporarily disabled the two factor, but still got the captcha. You could probably guess there is something in the cookie that would control this, but I havenā€™t even looked.

Again, with no published API with Oauth for this function, it really keeps this from being used in a production type capacity.

Sorry I couldnā€™t be more help. Let me know if you get past it.

1 Like

Is there a way to have a group work within a routine in Alexa? If so then I would like to group my contact sensors together and have then prompt Alexa to provide status of the group when I go to bed at night. Not sure if this is possible just yet but this new release is really a cool step in the right direction.