Make a smart bulb flash?

Hue can do this with bulbs attached to a hue hub. The option is available through the Hue API, but smartthings has not taken advantage of it.

1) If you have a SmartThings/Aeotec Hub

The good news is there is a community-created edge driver which does have access to this feature, so as long as you have a SmartThings/Aeotec hub, you can use that edge driver. For more questions about that option, ask in the author thread:

[ST Edge] Philips Hue LAN [BETA] (3rd Party Driver, Not ST Native)

2) What if I don’t have a SmartThings hub?

If you don’t have a ST hub, you can still do it by using a third-party intermediary.

2a) IFTTT

IFTTT is popular for this, in part because it’s super easy to set up if you’re used to working with Ifttt. It’s just one of the available actions for an IFTTT applet. :sunglasses:

2b) if you have an android phone, you can use Tasker

Or If you have an android phone, you can do it with Tasker. I don’t know the details of that, but I’m sure other people can help if you’re interested or you can just Google it.

2c) if you have an iOS phone and you use HomeKit, you can do it with shortcuts

And that one will work with any light controlled by HomeKit. To get the smartthings integration, you need to have a proxy that’s visible to both systems. I use the Meross power strip as a proxy. It’s inexpensive, visible to both platforms, and gives me the equivalent of four virtual devices. But there are other choices as well. Or you can just use a single Meross smart plug if you only need one proxy.

https://www.amazon.com/meross-Protector-Supported-Control-MSS425E/dp/B07DMFZGVL?th=1

Here’s a video describing the shortcuts method:

Summary

So those are just a few possibilities depending on your exact configuration. This is a popular use case for people who are deaf, so there are ways to do it on almost every platform, but you do have to do some research. :thinking:

I wish it was part of the official smartthings features, again, because of the accessibility aspect, but even though it isn’t, you should still be able to make it work with a smartthings routine, although the setup may be somewhat different than you were expecting if you have to go through an intermediary.

But definitely if you do have a SmartThings/Aeotec hub, check out the edge Driver. That will be the simplest option if you’re OK with using a hue hub.

1 Like