Major issue with device connectivity (ALL TYPES) past few days

@whyintheworld, Also - yes, I forgot to add that resetting the ST Hub will make it work for anywhere between 30 minutes to 8 hours, and simply resetting the internet connection that serves the ST Hub will also work - unplug the network cable for a few minutes, or restart your router or switch. Anything to ‘sever’ the connection to the cloud will reset the problem. Because there are enough of us with totally different network gear, we believe it is a cloud problem. Unfortunately support keeps pointing to our network gear, which is why we’re trying to get more people to call in so they’ll take us seriously. Thanks!

1 Like

I emailed support to add me to those tickets with a description of my issues.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @philglov,
No, I haven’t heard from ST at all. I referenced the other tickets in my email to them. I’m not planning on reinstalling the T-stat until other community members indicate that all is well.

I have lost all connectivity from any smartthings device to my V2 hub. All Zwave devices work fine. ST support sent a new device and the new device will not connect to the V2 hub either. I have tried removing the batteries from the hub and powering off completly for several hours but the smartthings devices will not reconnect. All smartthings devices have been reset ect, ect. The last contact with any zigbee device was recorded on Dec 19th.

@darrelld3, I’m sorry for the trouble you are having! That’s got to be frustrating. However, it doesn’t sound like your symptoms match what we are experiencing. We’re having trouble controlling switches and other devices from the app via the cloud. I’m having trouble with Zwave devices specifically (we don’t have any Zigbee). Also, all of our devices are still on the network and still show up in the app logs and in the Ide, so it seems to be a problem specifically with the app to the cloud. Good luck with your troubleshooting! -Tracy

Not me ,rebooted , none of the devices came back about 8 zigbee device are offline.

I am suspecting the hub, new one is due to arrive tomorrow from Amazon. I will do a parallel hub install and try to connect the zigbee devices to the new.

I’ve sent support the times of when my devices stop responding. They are supposedly sending my logs to the engineers to see if they can figure something out. It is hard to pinpoint because there is no way to know besides whenever something doesn’t work through Alexxa or the app after I give it a command but I was able to narrow one down the other day to about a 5 minute time frame.

Has anyone seen any changes? Support has gone silent on our tickets…

also having major problems here(uk) with all ST motion, multi & power devices. just raised ticket

1 Like

Sorry for the very late response but, no I haven’t received ANY type of response from ST.

I have my old t-stat (non zwave/ST) connected until there’s a viable fix. But, to top things off the new boiler has been also acting up. So it’s better for me to leave the old school t-stat on for awhile.

I really hoped that after Samsung bought ST things would be better. Oh well.

Still broken, going on two months now.

I give up, going out tomorrow to buy a Wink.

I am again having issues that make little sense. At times I am unable to control a switch from the app, but Alexa can control it just fine. My CoRE automations have failed to run the past two days. Response from support is to reboot my router, etc…

Here is the problem: I paid $99 for what was marketed as a consumer ready home automation hub. At no point was it marketed as a beta product plagued with bugs and inability to provide reliable service. If I wanted a questionable home hack job, I would have bought a raspberry pi and used it to automate a set of relays.

I’m done playing silly unplug this and unplug that support games. I get paid to solve complex problems at work; I’m not going to troubleshoot Samsung’s crap offspring for free and on my time. Fix your junk, SmartThings. You didn’t sell a prototype beta product. You advertised a plug and play appliance. Make good on it.

1 Like

I’ve been in contact with Mathew almost every day. He is working hard at getting our problems fixed. They are trying to send logs over to engineers during times when the hubs are inactive to see what is going on. I’ve done this a few times so hopefully there is a solution soon. I’ve asked to have my hub software reverted to the previous version when I wasn’t having any of these problems. I know people are working hard to fix this but I’m tired of coming home to a dark house and having an alarm system that is worthless bc the hub goes unresponsive while I’m gone at work and there isn’t anything I can do until I get home and reset the modem.

1 Like

Apparently rolling back my firmware isn’t an option. I am not sure why it isn’t but that’s what I was told. I’m inquiring about compensation now. No way I would have bought a hub if I would have known I was going to be a Beta tester. This has been going on now for almost a month and I honestly see no end in sight. I get a lot of “our engineers are working on it” I am going to be looking at alternatives for my home automation needs soon if this isn’t resolved relatively soon.

A quick question for all on this thread: Does anyone have a Fortrezz moisture sensor in their network? Following up on a possible lead, but just gathering data at this point.

Support was able to finally get some engineering eyes on the problem covered in this thread and they’ve spotted a possible problem with one of my 2 Fortrezz sensors. Feel free to direct/private message me if you like or post on this thread. I’ll post results back here whether it turns out to be a real lead or a red herring…

I’m absolutely ecstatic - we’re working again after 7 weeks, 5 days of being offline. Our Hub and cloud-based commands have been working now for 8+ hours.

The fix? Engineers FINALLY looked into the situation and found a Z-wave device that had identified itself as Zigbee somehow and was causing all that havoc. Specifically, it was a Fortrezz Moisture Sensor. What I don’t know is if the device suddenly had an identity crisis or whether a cloud-based change started choking on the device in the strange state. I suspect latter because the device in question has been in place for many, many months (since the early v1 Hub).

I’ve asked support to let me know how I could identify if a device suddenly decides to have an identity crisis in the future. Support also mentioned that another customer having the same issue had used a custom Device Type Handler that was throwing cloud errors. Perhaps a recent firmware update is less forgiving of errors(?).

Hopefully we’ll get a response soon as to why we had a bunch of customers go offline on about the same day, but am posting this as promised so you can check and see if you happen to have the same issues as me.

3 Likes

That’s wild. Can the hub pair with a device that’s zwave but reports itself as zigbee? If not, it must have been the sensor that changed. Do you know if was actually working (i.e., correctly reporting moisture) before you started having widespread problems?

I’d guess it was a combination of the two. The sensor probably went wonky at some point after install, but the ST update changed the handling and started causing the hub to get borked. That would explain why the root cause appears to have surfaced at the same time for several people.

There’s no way for the physical device to misreport what it is. It’s not even talking to the same part of the hub. The hub is one white plastic box that contains multiple individual devices, one of which is a zigbee coordinator and one of which is a Z wave controller. They don’t talk on the same frequency, they don’t send the same format in their messages. So there just is no way for a Z wave device to misidentify itself and have that work.

On the other hand, database corruption on the cloud Side could make anything happen there. We’ve had a reports in the past, for example, of people who had devices show up in the device list for their account which were not their devices. (One member had screen shots of a dining room sensor when he doesn’t even have a dining room.)

So I’m not sure what happened, or how it happened, and why multiple people would’ve been affected, but I’m 100% sure that the sensor device itself had no way of tricking the hub into thinking it was zigbee when it was actually zwave. That bit had to happen on the cloud side.

1 Like

Yep, completely agree that is the more plausible explanation if the sensor is no longer “malfunctioning”. If it is functioning normally now (can be paired and controlled using zwave), then I think JD is probably correct.

1 Like