Major Changes to Alexa Skill

Did I just miss the announcement for enhancements of ST native Alexa skill? Noticed that locks are now included and a new boolean toggle was added to allow Alexa to use all of the ST devices…

4 Likes

Mine also gave me the option to “Allow Alexa to access all devices” ! As long as you have unique names for everything, this makes it easier to access every device via Alexa without having to add it (which I always forget). Of course one must consider whether all devices should be added…

Doesn’t look like locks are enabled yet. Ran discovery on Echo and didn’t find them…

Looks like Ask Alexa may not be needed soon…I assume these still don’t give feelback and that control is just one way?

1 Like

AA will never become obsolete. Is too flexible and does so much more than operating ST devices.

4 Likes

I added all devices then had a change of heart and reverted to personally selecting which devices are exposed to Alexa. When I ran discovery via alexa.amazon.com I noticed it found all my Hue lights even though I had not authorized them in ST.

The weird thing is that it finds ALL of my Hue lights, even the one that is not enabled in the "Hue (ReConnect) SmartApp. On top of that it finds the Hue lights even though I have NOT enabled them in the Alexa SmartApp… It seems like it is talking directly to the Hue Cloud and ignoring all my settings. Oh and I did NOT press the button on the hub.

What am I missing?

EDIT: I just received a Hue Bridge v2 update (not sure what it does though, installing now)

It’s also integrated with at least 3 other SmartApps…

3 Likes

Yeah. What Bobby said. I actually don’t use askAlexa to control devices… Native control is faster. I use askAlexa for everything else because it’s so much better!

3 Likes

Thanks…wait until you see what I have planned for the Friday release…won’t be faster but allow for even better control of your environment (i.e. not having to rename items any more…aliases!).

7 Likes

I’m just really really wanting tts integrated… With the ability to choose t the speaker within the macro!

3 Likes

I wish…Amazon is in control of that…

1 Like

We’ve got to talk offline about this… It is possible…:laughing:

1 Like

Are you talking Sonos or Echo Speaker…as that is possible with the Sonos, of course.

I think (and hope) he is referring to LANnouncer lol

Sonos and lannouncer.

3 Likes

We’re hoping that this new input (device selector) will eventually be made available to Community Developed SmartApps (like SmartTiles V6…).

4 Likes

Cool, I just closed my garage door with Alexa

1 Like

Were you able to say Alexa, Close the garage door? Because right now I have to say Alexa, Turn off Garage door.

I have to say turn off too.

Couple things:

1. This was updated to reflect some of the changes: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205275404-How-to-connect-Amazon-Alexa-with-SmartThings
  2. In general, the garage door implementation isn’t supported. In this case, it is being used like a switch…
  3. Locks cannot be unlocked via voice. If you create an open sesame workaround, you are doing so at your own risk…

Edit: whoops!? Some of this went live before it should have. More to come soon…

4 Likes