Mains powered Switch to send commands but not cut power? (UK)

I bought a smart switch today and connected it to smart life and smart things it also supports alexa, google home, etc but I didn’t realise that smart switches cut power to the light just like a normal switch I thought that instead you were able to set it so that it would send a command to your smart devices so I have 2 questions

1: Is it possible to make it so that when pressing the off switch it will instead turn off the smart bulb instead of cutting power to it so that when it is turned off I can still do things like change its colour for example

2: Is it possible to just use a smart switch to trigger something other than the light it is connected to? For example set it to turn off a smart light that is in a different room?

After writing those 2 questions I realised that the solution of sending commands by the switch instead of controlling the light solves both these issues

Thanks, any help is appriciated

The first rule of home automation always applies: “the model number matters.“

Most smart switches that are wired into mains power do cut the power when you toggle the switch, but there are a few, although only a few, where you are able to disable that through a parameter setting.

So first we need to know the exact brand and model of the switch that you have to know what is possible.

We also need to know what country you are in, and what, if any, model of the smartthings hub you are using. :sunglasses:

1 Like

The switch I’m using is this it most likely doesn’t support what you mentioned about parameters which is fine as I can move that down to an area that will only be controlling none smart lights, could you suggest a smart switch that would work with commands?

I also don’t own a smartthings hub I’ve only just recently gotten back into using samsung phones when I pre-ordered the s21 ultra so the only smart things devices I own is the galaxy watch 3, s21 ultra, smart tag, and earbuds

What country are you in? In England, for example, safety codes require that there be a switch in each room that controls the current to the ceiling fitting. You can add an additional switch which is, for example, battery powered and that one can control the smart lights. But you can’t replace the main powered switch with one that doesn’t cut that current.

Some people will mount a small wooden box over the existing switch and then put the battery powered device on top of that so that the original is still available, but again, the model number matters.

What brand and model of smart lights are you hoping to control?

I forgot to mention that you can definitely add a battery powered device and use that to control any of the smart lights which are on your Samsung SmartThings account, so that part is easy.:sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m in England

The smart light I have is some cheap RGB smart light I got from china years ago to test out smart homes I’m fine with spending money on other lights and switches whatever will get the job done I don’t have a budget in mind I just need suggestions as while I’ve experemented a little with smart homes and using 3rd party apps like IFTTT I thought it would be a cool idea to try jump into the deep end with smart lights, vaccumes, etc but for now I’m starting with the lighting

As for the battery powered I’d prefer it to be wired to the house as I don’t want to have to keep recharging all my light switches, thanks!

Right now, this is a lot easier in the US than it is in the UK because just in the last year several different devices have been introduced to do exactly this. However, in The US the safety code in most jurisdictions allows you to have a completely automated light system in most parts of the house and, as I mentioned, that is not true in England.

In the UK, you are required to have one mains powered switch which operates the ceiling fitting by cutting the current. That has reduced the market demand for this type of device.

There are several battery powered options for the UK which allow you to add additional switches to operate smart bulbs or whatever, and you are allowed to put a child safety lock on the original switch to keep people from using that, but you can’t just swap them out the way you can in the US.

There is a battery free option which works well and removes the need for ever changing batteries, but right now it only works with lights which work with the Hue Bridge. Does your current bulb work with the hue bridge?

Absent that, I just don’t know of a lot of other options for the UK right now. Maybe someone else will.

1 Like

As I’ve said the light bulb is just a cheap thing I got years ago, I can buy some bulbs that are compatible, shame about the UK requirement, didn’t know about that. I just had to pay to have holes drilled through the walls today as the light switch required neutral power I’m just rather OCD and don’t like the idea ofhaving a switch that I would never use on the wall it’s also confusing for the cleaners, thanks for all your help seems like what I’m wanting isn’t really possible but there are some workarounds I’ll be looking into