SmartThings Community

LutronPro Caseta v1.0

dth_lighting
requires_server
project_lighting
(Bill Hinkle) #301

Agreed, they do seem to be shotgunning the market with a broad range of overlapping and not-quite-compatible product lines.

(DSS) #302

cousin? Guess I havent read enough to know what that one is :)…please elaborate.

I am actually doing the opposite of what you wrote - I am converting mainly from RA2 to Caseta. LED is the reason. I have had RA2 for about 8 years now, loved it, but now that I have been converting to LED as much as possible the RA2 dimmers simply will not work for the load. So, if I recall correctly, $90/RA2 or $50/Caseta … kind of a no brainer. I get pretty much the same functionality, for what I use the devices for. Having built around RA2 I do have afew of the SeeTouch keypads that only work with RA2…and now that I have changed the load circuits to caseta I had to come up with a way to allow the keypads to control caseta devices…that is what my script handles. It isnt sophisticated or clean but it works. I am actually trying to now do something in addition (simply monitor caseta traffic and perform an action) but havent quite been able to make it work yet.
I keep wanting to think Lutron are like evil geniuses and are ahead of the market and that is why we think they make the questionable calls, but then a litte time passes and it simply isnt the case. The products, when you find the right one, seem rock solid though.

(Dan) #303

Hubitat has built-in support for Lutron hubs (Caseta must be Pro model). You can have multiple Lutron hubs connected at once as well. Hubitat uses Telnet to communicate on the LAN, so performance is very fast and reliable.

(DSS) #304

@BHO as you probably know RA2 utilizes the Lutron Essentials software to program. Sure, some things can be done via each switch but who wants to do that lol. There is a report option within the essentials software that will show you the information, the headers are:

Device Room, Device Location, Device name, Model, ID, Component, Component Number, Name

Equipment Room, Main Repeater 001, Enclosure Device 001, RR-MAIN-REP-WH, 1

The second and probably more useful option is to grab the XML file showing all of the goods. It can be obtained by simply going to the RA2 repeater IP (again, not the bridge as I dont have it) and the file, for example: http://192.168.0.0/DbXmlInfo.xml and it shows info such as this snippet:

I have been looking to see if I could get a combination to work and dump this via the integrationid command but havent been able to do so just yet. The command is present, if I put in an ID it will return a SN of the device.

Not sure if any of this was helpful, but let me know if I can run anything else, etc. Happy to assist. Just limited on time every once in a while.

(Bill Hinkle) #305

@ssizelove - thanks, that looks like just what I was interested in. I’ll meditate on that a bit.

Also, you said: “(simply monitor caseta traffic and perform an action)”
In the LutronPi node server I do provide a rudimentary “hook” that lets any plug-in monitor the traffic being sent to the SmartThings hub, in JSON - so that could be parsed to provide the Caseta activity of interest to you. Look for the SHE_SENT (= ‘sheSent’) event emitted by the sentHubEvents event emitter (which is passed to each bridge plug-in as the last parameter, iirc). Might be more trouble than it’s worth, but there’s one approach, anyhow.

Yes, Hubitat. They have Lutron Caseta Pro, RA2 Select, and full RA2 integrations working. In the way you desire, too, I believe. Many user-developed SmartThings apps can be made to work with Habitat. There is SmartThings/Hubitat integration too. One of their goals is to make things work locally when possible instead of through the cloud. It’s new so there’s a lot of development going on. Example: current configuring and controlling is done via web page instead of app.

There is a SmartThings community thread.
https://community.smartthings.com/t/hubitat-elevation-hub-home-automation-that-is-local/117107

(Bill Hinkle) #307

One particular thing that Hubitat seems to have going for it in this arena is that it can do a local Telnet connection directly from the hub, without an intermediary server device.

(DSS) #308

I hadnt heard of Hubitat until this morning. I was looking into it a bit. Seems interesting for sure. I just recently purchased the SmartThings hub - purely for one reason alone, trying to control a particular device and not have to write the script myself - I wish I could program easily, but I am old and use to bash scripts more than anything from my unix days. I can get by with a python script after I read for hours on how to alter it, etc., but I generally can make it work. However, sometimes, like now, I dont have the time to invest and getting a working solution take forever. BTW the device I came to ST for: I have a simple situation but cant find a very easy answer, I have recently remodeled and added a bathroom near another bathroom in the basement. Plagued with the same issues a lot of folks are, “people” in the house cant be trusted to always turn on a bathroom fan and certainly not trusted to turn it off, then add to that my needs to always do something cool I hit a problem. I want a single exhaust fan that sucks from both bathrooms at the same time, I need the ability to have a switch (or pico in this case) in each bathroom, the user can select on/off a duration…I am thinking a 4 button pico in each room, off/10m/30min/60min, and a caseta switch near the fan…each pico controls the switch, no big deal. BUt I need to program the timer event for each, and as an example if the fan is already running for 30 min and a person goes in the second room and hits the 60 min option I need it to reset to 60 and start from there. ST is getting me close to this, I think…I tried webcore recently had a test then got distracted. Ive ordered the parts so I will dig in more shortly. Sorry for hte long thread, just got on a rant of sharing :slight_smile:

(Bill Hinkle) #309

@ssizelove - well, much as I prefer a complex hi-tech solution for every problem :yum: you could easily accomplish this with a Leviton LTB60-1LZ in each bathroom, with the load side of each timer switch paralleled to the fan. (But of course that would require running Line/Neutral/Load to a box in each room, and maybe that’s what you’re trying to avoid?)
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-LTB60-1LZ-Incandescent-Resistive-Inductive-10-20-30-60/dp/B00313JXB0

(DSS) #310

@BHO I thought I read about that timer, but then it said with the Vizia switch in 3way config. It “could” work, but what I learned is that the timer duration would be the last set time when using the switch side. So in the room where the switch resides it doesnt have a duration selection. I called Lutron, yes I know your suggestion was Leviton, to see if they had an answer (wanted it to be accessible via app too) and they blew it off as nope, we got nothing. So, that is when I decided to just write my own using Caseta.

(Bill Hinkle) #311

@ssizelove - nope wasn’t suggesting a 3-way configuration, that would indeed limit the duration to the last switch. Connecting both timers each in a normal 2-way configuration, but paralleling their load sides to the single fan, would result in an “OR” logic, if you will. The fan would run continue to run until the end of the last-ending timer cycle, no matter how the two timers overlapped each other.

But yeah, this seems like something webcore could handle (not much familiar with it, myself, but that’s what I gather). Still would be a straight-up “OR” of the two timers (virtual timers in this case).

I am at my 50 device limit. Was it ever determined whether this gem of a SmartApp would support a second bridge to get 100 devices?

(Bill Hinkle) #313

The LutronPi v2 fork of this project (that is, a revised takeoff from Nick’s original LutronPro v1) does support multiple Lutron bridges. See LutronPro Caseta v1.0 for info on that. I don’t know that anyone else has tested that capability, but I’ve used it for two bridges for quite a while now, though just on a small scale.

1 Like

This is fantastic. I was using Nate’s original node server for over a year and just replaced and upgraded our entire network. I broke the RPI integration in the process (long story) but needed to rebuild the integration and I just got it working with Nate’s “new” node server. (well, from post 1 of this thread) once the old version no longer worked. Man I wish I asked this first and I would have gone straight to your solution. But alas everything is working perfect now. I do not yet have a second Lutron Pro bridge yet. After reading this I may need to get one and migrate to this solution and live free of the 50 device limitation forever.

(Bill Hinkle) #315

Well, I’ll be interested in your results if you do try the ‘new’ version with multiple bridges; so far as I have heard, I’m the only guinea pig so far. I wish I could tell you the migration was fast fun and easy, but unfortunately enough changed that an entire new device setup is required to move from the old server to the new. Which of course would be a considerable pain that that many devices (assuming you’ve got a lot of “hooks” into them for automation tasks; the devices themselves populate just as readily as before.)

p.s. one problem people have uncovered is that if you happen to try to run the old and new server at the same time, for trial purposes, they must be hosted on two different node machines (with different MAC addresses, so i.e. two different RPis or computers). That’s a SmartThings thing with local LAN devices.

This is exactly what I would do anyway - I would get a new RPI. I am not a programmer and it is a modern miracle I got this working 18 months ago and another miracle I got it working this time around given I forgot everything. That said, while it is fresh in my memory bank, I may just get a second RPI and install your version and if I have issues I can always go back to the original RPI.

For those coming across this thread for the first time, this is great to control Hue lights with Pico switches from Lutron. It is aesthetically pleasing to have Pico switches next to load bearing switches in the same gang box. Major WAF points. Looks great. Works great. I even have Pico buttons programmed to preset colors for Hue groups of lights. And this work from Bill looks to only build upon the foundation. I’m looking forward to implementing it.

I will also add: Don’t be afraid or intimated to buy a Raspberry Pi and set it up for this solution. It is not expensive to give it a shot. It is daunting no doubt and this is no off the shelf Best Buy solution, but this is what makes it great. If you go to post 1 in this thread and read this http://thisdavej.com/beginners-guide-to-installing-node-js-on-a-raspberry-pi/12 it is exactly what I followed in layman’s terms and every step worked to setup the RPI. Then follow Nate or Bill’s directions to get their node servers working. I still don’t know what a “node server” is (well, barely). I never heard of half these terms or Raspbian or Debian either. I barely know what that stuff is now. And as I followed the directions and typed in commands all this random code will fly by and I don’t know what any of it means lol. But it is amazing that it works and an immense feeling of accomplishment when you follow the directions and each step runs without an error. Once it is setup it basically just works. Put the Raspberry Pi on a battery backup along with your network infrastructure and the hubs and bridges etc and it works even better despite brief power outages.

Anyway, more to follow but I intend to upgrade to this solution by the end of the year,

(Nate Schwartz) #317

@BHO One thing you could do to allow you to run two servers on the same device would be to use LAN for one and WiFi for the other. That way you have to different MAC addresses. That may be more trouble then it is worth, but theoretically doable.

Also, @BHO I never really said thank you for taking this over and improving it so much. I was really enjoying this project, then life and military deployment and then move got in the way and I couldn’t support it at all. I am glad you kept it going and improved it so much.

@AdamHLG I recently moved and do not have the caseta switches in my home anymore :confused: I have a pro hub I could probably give you a good deal on if you do go down that path of adding a second one. I am glad though that its been working well for you!

1 Like
(Bill Hinkle) #318

@njschwartz Glad to get your seal of approval! Of course let me know if I need to amend anything or if you have any notions I should consider.

Re: the two interfaces… yep, could do that but I didn’t want to suggest it just yet because currently the code (old and new!) doesn’t support specifying a specific interface. Can do but it would take a bit of finagling.

1 Like
(Cory Teague) #319

I’m running into a slight error, I have everything up and running and can make it through up to scene selection. When I select my test scene and hit save I get “deviceNetworkId must be unique” any clue what i’m missing??

This usually happens to me when I forgot to remove a device or SmartApp and try to add another. For example I was having some Hue bridge issues and failed to remove the other instance of the Hue bridge first (not related to Lutron). But you may want to see what you have in SmartThings that is conflicting. Also check the IDE and see what you have there that may be conflicting. Something to try while you wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to help you out.