Lutron Caseta question: trigger one Caseta based on pushing another's buttons?

(Brad Langhorst) #1

So, I got a Lutron bridge, added my Casetas (2 total) to the bridge, and connected them to SmartThings. Controlling them from the ST mobile app is LIGHTNING fast!

However, one thing I need to do is to control one Caseta (let’s call it the “External Wall”) with the other Caseta (let’s call it the “Internal Wall”). So, for example, if I’m entering the room and push the switch to power on the Internal Wall Caseta, I need the External Wall Caseta to power on as well. The reverse is true - when I power off the Internal Wall Caseta, I need to power off the External Wall Caseta. I’ve tried with both CoRE and Smart Lighting and it is SLOW - pressing a button on the Internal Wall Caseta will result in waiting several seconds for the External Wall Caseta, to the point where it is almost unusable. Any other options for doing this quickly? One thing I thought of (but haven’t had time to investigate - I’m a newbie to the Lutron bridge and app) is that perhaps there is a way to do it on the Lutron side via the Lutron app, meaning that when it sees the Internal Wall go on or off, it can trigger the same response in the External Wall Caseta.

I know of at least three ways to do this. There may be more. It depends on exactly how you want it to happen.

Use HomeKit

Assuming you have the HomeKit – enabled version of the SmartBridge and you have either an iPhone or an iPad, this is very easy to set up with HomeKit and operates very quickly because it’s all local. And you don’t need to buy any additional devices.

You do need to set up two automations, one to make them turn on together and one to make them turn off together.

But HomeKit is a much more limited system than SmartThings, so once you get them in this way they will always be grouped in this way. You can’t specify any other conditions of the grouping.

Your Caseta devices can still be used with SmartThings, but any HomeKit rules you have always apply.

Create a Scene in the Lutron app

I don’t use the Lutron app much, but you can set up a scene which you can then trigger from that app or from Echo. But it won’t affect manual use of the switches themselves. If you use the HomeKit method, the two switches will always be grouped together whether you use the switch manually at the wall or trigger it through some other method like echo or SmartThings. With the scene method, they will only be grouped when you activate that particular scene.

Use a Pico

You can associate two different Lutron switches to one pico remote, which let you group them for the times when you use that remote. Or you can have the pico trigger a scene. There are some people who get the four button pico remote and mount it on the wall as a scene/group controller. But then you’re only getting the lights to act as a group when you manually use that specific pico.

More options?

All three of the methods above run locally, so they should be faster than SmartThings or IFTTT. There may be more ways to do this, I’m not sure. At our house, we just use HomeKit because it’s fast and easy to set up for simple rules. But we already have iOS devices. :sunglasses:

(Brad Langhorst) #3

Thanks. So, I know they will be fast using the Pico or the app, but I was really hoping that using the button on one of the Casetas would quickly activate the second Caseta. I didn’t see a good way to do that in Lutron scenes and I’m unclear if your Homekit solution would allow that or if I would have to use an iOS device (I have plenty). I want to get away from using anything but the switch itself. I can mount a Pico on the wall and may go that route, but was hoping there was another way to do it. A second or two of delay is fine in this use case, but 5+ seconds (as I’m seeing now) is not.

HomeKit will do it, with very quick response. Once you set up the HomeKit automation, when you manually press one Lutron Caseta wall switch, the other one will also turn on almost immediately. Just remember you need two automations, one for on and one for off.

(Brad Langhorst) #5

Brilliant - thanks! I’ll try this tonight when I get home.

(Brad Langhorst) #6

I am using an iPad 4 as my HomeKit hub and implemented the rules. I’d say it is now about as fast as Wink - there is a power-on delay on the second set of lights of about 2 seconds or so, while power off seems quicker. I can live with that, though I wish it was faster and may still end up going the Pico route.

And both switches update their status in the SmartThings mobile app when you push the wall switch?

(Brad Langhorst) #8

Let me double check tonight, but from my recollection, they did (I tried so many different scenarios last night that I sometimes don’t remember which was which).

(Brad Langhorst) #9

JD, I can confirm that the status does update in the ST app even though I’m using HomeKit to automate them. The status update does take several seconds to happen, however.