Lowes Iris Smart Button $6.25 (clearance)

Ah… wondered what it was for… flipped it back and forth but nothing seemed to happen.

I’ve found the best way to get the battery door to release is to use a small flathead screwdriver, like the type you’d use for electronics or eyeglasses. Hold the gray slider in the direction to release (can’t remember if it’s in or out off the top of my head). Stick the screwdriver in the gap on either side of the battery, and pry it out.

For the ones that I intend to use as temperature sensors only, I am considering opening the thing up and hardwiring in a 3V power adapter instead of using batteries. Then I would be able to modify the device handler to get temperature reports every 5 minutes and not have to worry about replacing the batteries every week or two. The cost of a button on clearance and a 3V adapter comes to around $11.85, which is going to be a lot cheaper in the long run than replacing the battery. And it’s much cheaper than any dedicated Z-Wave temperature sensor that I’ve found thus far.

1 Like

Following this. I can think of a couple of locations where this would work well.

If it can run on 5V ( without burning up ) it would be a good use for that drawer full of useless 500ma phone chargers

3 Likes

Really ? I have one of them ( I think is was a Verizon or Comcast , but still the same Centralite keypad) and I have changed the batteries once in well over a year.

1 Like

Some had a bug that was later fixed via firmware update from what I hear, mine definitely had a bug, now hard wired, it just doesn’t matter! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads up on this. I just put the order in for 3 from my kinda local store.

The Lowes in my area had the Iris keypad marked down to $10.00. I went ahead got one of them and 2 Iris buttons for $6.25.

1 Like

That’s an awesome idea doing a 3v conversion for a button or other devices like a motion sensors. Could someone post a pictorial or video. I’d be interested in seeing this in action

I don’t have a photo of it, but for my keypad, the converter fit in the battery compartment. I used two wires yanked out of a cat5 cable, and spliced them inline to the power supply on one of my HEM’s that’s USB powered so 5v, that’s near the keypad, and just ran it inconspicuously on the wall. Then wire the converter to the battery terminals. Solder or even tape is all you need to connect them up. Just make sure it’s secure.

You need to make sure you have a multi-meter so you can set the output to the 3v you need, the things are SMALL so the POT’s on them are TINY and a very small twist will greatly alter the output.

The step-down converter is a really good idea. I was going to have to run about 10 feet of wire from where I wanted the button to the nearest outlet. Instead, I can put the button near a security camera, which already has 12v running to it.

What kind of battery does this button use? I’m going to have to start an inventory of all the different batteries that all my devices use! My battery already shows only 44% so I’m guessing that these buttons have been sitting on the shelves for a while now. I do like them though, very simple to pair and it definitely keeps it simple for that WAF with only one button to push. What is the recommended DTH to show temperature?

What is this I’m reading about temperature sensing? Does this button have a temp sensor in it as well or did someone hijack the thread? :wink:

It does sense temp as well. I have read a lot how people use them as stand alonr temp sensors when button stops working. I have a lot of iris products and they all have temp sensors.

This is good news! Forget the button part, these look like my solution for cheap temp sensors around the house. Great! I did find the DH for them and they are now reporting temp. THanks!

1 Like

According to the product page, it uses a single CR-2450.

As far as what DH to use, I used the one here and it worked perfect out of the box. Just give it a few minutes to update the temperature (it will appear as – for a bit).

1 Like

These things are crap.
I’ve never had something I couldn’t pair to the hub with over 100+ devices.
I got two and they simply won’t pair. Tried new battery, holding down button for 2s while inserting battery, etc.

FYI - these things are very cheaply made.

1 Like

I tried a few last year. Don’t remember having a pairing problem but they were inconsistent and went through the battery fairly quickly. I tossed them in the drawer never put another battery in them. Recently sold a new one on ebay and they guy is sending it back because it won’t pair.