Lowe's Iris Sensors (New CentraLite models)

I’d like to turn it into a doorbell.

1 Like

We get requests all the time in the forums for devices that could act as a standalone button. Many of these cases could be solved with wired relays or wired switches but people don’t always want that. Sometimes the people are renters and they’re not allowed to touch the wiring in their apartment. Sometimes they just want a less expensive alternative.

Usually these use cases fall into one of these categories:

One) as a visually intuitive control to toggle a smart bulb or group of smart bulbs. This is for the house where somebody has spent a lot of time using smart bulbs and they have all kinds of routines and smart apps, and their father-in-law comes over and keep turning the lights off at the switch. Or their kids do. Or their roommate’s girlfriend. or the dog walker.

Just a quick and easy way to turn the lights in the room on and off. Inexpensive and obvious and doesn’t interfere with any of the other automations already set up.

Two) as a tactilely obvious control for use on the nightstand that won’t wake up the person sleeping next to you. People want this to arm the security system once they’re in bed, change the mode, turn on the hallway light while you’re still in bed, but without using a tablet or phone that might wake up someone else. Again, Fast and easy. Yes, you can use a minimote for this, but having a button you can just reach over and hit is nice.

Three) as a physical device that could be used by someone with limited hand function or limited cognitive function, either a person with a disability, a very young child, or a dog. :dog:

Four) as A very quick means of starting an automation. This is the typical panic button use case, but there are others as well. “Just hit the button and…”

Five) and the ever popular networked doorbell button.

Different people will have needs for different ones of these. Some people won’t need a button at all. Some people will want a lot of them. It’s just always nice to have choices. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

As is the case in our house right now. He has turned off every Hue at the switch.

2 Likes

Now that’s pretty cool. You have a dog that helps you, right JD? I can only imagine the possibilities.

Yes, I’m in a wheelchair with limited hand function and have a professionally trained service dog. It’s amazing what dogs can learn! He’s very good at buttons and switches, but a big dog’s nose is wider than a person’s finger, and the form factor has to be just right. It’s basically like a person pushing a button with their elbow.

We’re using the smartenit 3 toggle switch since neither of us can use a mini mote, but precision was tricky, so we ended up programming all three buttons to do exactly the same thing so it doesn’t matter where he hits it.

I quite often put a single button switch down lower on the wall below a regular switch. That way I can use my wheelchair or my elbow, and the dog can use his nose.

So the new Iris button, which is battery-operated, might be perfect for our needs. We’ll just have to see how hard it is to press. :dog:

people with pet dogs might have uses as well. Imagine a button on the wall that your dog could press to turn on the yard lights when he went out. Or a button that that sets off a buzzer when he wants to come back in. Or starts a light blinking so he can tell you his water bowl is empty.

Obviously these all take training, but the first step is a button with a form factor that the dog can use easily. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

These may be of some interest to you JD.

Yes, I have those on order. :sunglasses:. Again, we’ll just have to see whether the form factor works for my dog.

He has to understand the difference between just touching and actually pressing the button.

The smartIT 3 toggle is nice because there’s an actual physical click. So it’s very understandable to the dog. I just don’t know with the flics whether there will be a moment I can capture that will clearly distinguish between pressing the button and just touching it. But I’m definitely going to try them.

Same thing with the iris panic button. As long as it works with Smartthings, I’ll definitely give one a try.

If anybody is curious what these things look like inside:

These are by far the smallest devices I have ever seen.
Contact left, motion right
Perfect for imbedding into other things…

5 Likes

Anyone want to buy a few extra motion sensors and contact sensors (new type) when the stumble upon the next “pirates bounty”? I would cover costs for shipping and the sensors of course. I cannot find the new ones in the 2 local Lowes stores that I frequent. I think the guy in the electrical isle is getting tired of me asking to look at his backstock as well. I am kinda becoming a Lowes “creeper” as a result of this thread . :wink:

@johnconstantelo is in a similar situation I think. I’ll try to hit the local Lowes the next time I’m around and see if they have any in stock.

@johnconstantelo, @BD0G How many do you guys want?, there’s at least 4 of each at my store.
I’ll go down there right now, if you guys tell me what you want…

1 Like

Yay! I’m standing right now in Lowes of Knightdale, NC and shelves are full of motion and contact sensors.

1 Like

2 and 2 . 2 contact and two motion would be sweet!

Thanks Mike!

I’m glad I asked!

@BD0G OK, that will be 124.93, say 125, that’ll cover shipping, and I can get it out Monday.

If that’s good PM me with info…

Tuesday… No post office Monday.

good point, fedex is closed as well, why don’t I get the day off?

Thanks for the offer @Mike_Maxwell. Just got home with a couple motion and contact sensors. I’m going to try and see how well the contact sensor works in a freezer. I already use a couple Smartsense Multi’s in refrigerators, so I’m curious how these will work.

Mike to the Rescue! Thanks a tonnage!

I’ve been to 2 different stores here in the STL area and have yet to find any of the new items. Really just looking for the button.

@Tyler what devices will be integrated? :smile: I hope all of them but im very optimistic

1 Like