Lowes Iris Keypad July 4 Sale $29.99 (25% off)

Lowes has the Iris security keypad on sale for July 4, $29.95. This model works with SmartThings with the community-created code below.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Iris-White-Security-Alarm-Keypad-Works-with-Iris/999925326

1 Like

By the way, I know the reviews at Lowe’s are terrible for this device, but there are a number of SmartThings community members using it who are happy with it.

It looks to me like the bad reviews are for one of three reasons:

One) the first generation of this device has a built-in chime that the second generation does not and people are mad about that.

1. some of these seem to have difficulty maintaining connection with the iris second-generation hub. People don’t seem to have reported that same issue with the smartthings hub, but you can check in the forum thread that I linked to in my previous post.

2. there was a known issue with an early batch where it burned through batteries every week or so. This was corrected in a later batch. If you do get a bad device, just exchange it.

It would be pretty cool if somebody could set this up as a bigger, better minimote. You could have 10 lights or scenes on there and press “1 ON” and turn on a light/scene. You could also tie in things like garage doors or smart locks.
I use an Aon Minimote for this, but a mounted switch-type device would be better.

There’s an eight button zwave device, quite small, from remotec which will give you 24 functions because each button can be tapped, held, or double tapped. Comes with a wall mount frame. Might be worth a look for the use case you describe. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Nice, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks!!!

1 Like

JD you are a human encyclopedia of Smartthings compatible devices as well as ST in general. They should put you on the payroll! I am truly impressed at your knowledge and how often you jump in with not only ideas but links too.

Steve

6 Likes

JDRoberts has helped me and taught me so much…he is wonderful…

2 Likes

Thanks, I just stand out because I like the boring engineering part. :wink: Seriously, I’m always interested in what features a manufacturer chose to include or not include in order to hit their desired price point. I had a professor once who insisted that we price out every projected solution, because “the budget is the biggest challenge an engineer faces.” He’d also say, “OK, now give me the Wal-mart version.” Fun stuff.

Notice, though, that I never answer any questions about code. We all have our limitations. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This would really only give you two more buttons, since the Minimote can be set up for eight.

You can also use CoRE to tie the buttons on the Minimote to routines for anything.

A small piece of Velcro on the back, mount it right next to a door frame, and it’s almost invisible. It could be set up to turn on different lights when you come in, or when you leave, press button four and two minutes later the doors lock and SHM is armed.

Just a thought…

1 Like

I fall back on your engineering skills and others choosing skills… My talent lies in bringing the two together… Maybe that’s why I’m a network guy… Lol

1 Like

Is literally 16 more buttons since this has 8 physical buttons that accept pushed, double tap, and held. Vs minimotes 4 buttons that can only do pushed and held.

1 of these = 3 minimotes

3 Likes

Holy Crap! That is a lot better! I didn’t realize it did all of that too…

2 Likes

Not really that much bigger either.

1 Like

And, with CoRE, you can make one button do different things depending on the time if day, our other condition. Do, for example, a single button iris controller can be a good morning routine oif pressed before 8am, but a good night if pressed after 10pm, etc.

3 Likes

You need to take into account the size of the map you need to put next to it labeling what each button press/hold /tap does. I have a hard time remembering the 8 functions on minimote, never mind 24 different functions.

2 Likes

You could set up a macro in askAlexa/CoRE piston to tell what the buttons do… You just have to ask Alexa!

2 Likes

I got one at this sale (thanks JD!) with the intention of playing with it and perhaps using it as an actual security keypad, but with a baby on the way very soon, i don’t think I’ll have time to experiment with it anymore.
Would anybody be interested in taking this off my hands for $20? It’s completely brand new and I have not opened the box at all.

DM me if interested. Thank you.